PDA

View Full Version : Trouble understanding Senior Sensei's

stevenm
6th January 2007, 17:21
Do you have problems understanding what some Japanese Sensei's are saying particularly during gradings

Well don't worry after a few years training it gets easier

But in the mean time completely confuse them by speaking like a Pirate

Instead of 'Hi Sensei' a good old 'Arh aye-aye capn' will do the trick

http://www.yarr.org.uk/talk/

'Yo-ho-ho an er bottle o grog'

Tripitaka of AA
6th January 2007, 21:12
Or perhaps one could attempt to make adequate use of the English language, such as avoiding inappropriate use of the apostrophe to indicate a plural... :p, particularly when the convention for foreign words like "sensei" is to regard them as correct for both singular and plural (eg. "there were three sensei watching the grading".

Arrghh, belay that thought you young rapscallion, else I'll be forced to slice your gizzard and sling you in the scuppers to await a taste o'the lash. ;)

Rob Gassin
7th January 2007, 00:04
I would favour speaking like Yoda. Kenshi are more like jedi than pirates after all.

Tripitaka of AA
7th January 2007, 01:16
Agree with you I would.

Yoda like a Japanese man talks I think. Sentence structure. Word order. At the end a verb there is.

RickMatz
7th January 2007, 03:14
I'm not a kempo guy, but I used to train in aikido, under a Japanese sensei, when I was a young man. He was like a force of nature, and everyone wanted to be like him; but there were some weird side effects.

His English was only so-so. The most mallable students started speaking in broken English, not only in the dojo, but all the time.

Tripitaka of AA
7th January 2007, 06:41
Shu-Ha-Ri in action... :)

stevenm
7th January 2007, 17:15
The most mallable students started speaking in broken English, not only in the dojo, but all the time.

My point exactly Yo-ho-ho

stevenm
7th January 2007, 17:19
Or perhaps one could attempt to make adequate use of the English language, such as avoiding inappropriate use of the apostrophe to indicate a plural... ;)

Aye er one cud pracise it is a Gentlemen o'fortune insted o a squealin o'son of a Biscuit Eater :)

Michael_Smith
7th January 2007, 18:10
Dear all

Gassho

I have noticed that when learning a technique, only a few single words are needed (with onomatopoeia) to help my understanding. These words should accompany a demonstration E.g. “Gyaku Zuki…. Keimyaku hiko… Suigetsu …WACK!” :)

Kesshu