PDA

View Full Version : SILENT FORM OF KIAI

Yamantaka
22nd December 2000, 17:09
Hello!

Is there a specific name for the silent kiai? Someone told me that it was KENSEI but I think that is a title given to a respected sword master. Also I was told that, in China, every kiai is silent. Can anyone clarify things for me?
Best regards
Yamantaka

Jody Holeton
22nd December 2000, 20:11
Dear Yamantaka,

Just had the same conversation with Chuck Gordon about the same thing. In Japanese there are 'kun-yomi' words and 'on-yomi' words (not counting foreign words not incorporated into the basic Japanese vocabulary). A kanji character by itself has a kun-yomi reading and kanji in compounds have a on-yomi one (or multiple in some cases depending on the word).

I would recommend getting an electronic dictionary and breaking apart the word "ken-sei" and see what you get.

I've heard the word used for silent kiai in conversations BUT I have only read the word "kensei", used in role-playing games.

I have been trying to research kiaijutsu and "kensei", silent kiai in particular.
If anyone has any info I would also appreciate some feedback.

Thanks--Jody Holeton

Yamantaka
23rd December 2000, 22:18
Originally posted by Jody Holeton
Dear Yamantaka,
Just had the same conversation with Chuck Gordon about the same thing.
I've heard the word used for silent kiai in conversations BUT I have only read the word "kensei", used in role-playing games.
Thanks--Jody Holeton

YAMANTAKA : You heard the word used in connection with "silent kiai"? Where ? How?
Merry Christmas

Jody Holeton
24th December 2000, 04:19
Dear Yamantaka,

I'll e-mail Chuck and try and get some more clarification. My Japanese is terrible, and I will try and get you some reliable information. Recently I have heard of it relating to sekiguchi-ryu, hell I've even had Japanese kendo instructors try and tell me to "project" my energy.
I'm writing mengajou now, I'll find the right kanji for "kensei" and I'll put out some questions.

If anybody can beat me to the punch (hint hint to the Skosses or the good Dr.Friday) please feel free to enlighten us.

Thanks--Jody