PDA

View Full Version : Sword Arts School near Hertford, Hertfordshire - build a new one?

Lorizean
25th January 2007, 12:58
Hello!

Well, as you might have guessed, considering the title (:D), I'm looking for a Sword Arts Dojo near Hertford in Hertfordshire, England.
I'm 16 years old, come from Germany and go to a boarding school called "Haileybury College" - my problem is, that there aren't any Dojos near Hertford - but the school might provide its sportshall for a Dojo that liked to train there in addition to their normal training times - so if anyone has connections to Dojos in Hertfordshire or London, please let me know.
My email is: pm7042 [at] haileybury [dot] com
What Sword Art, do you ask? Well, I would really like to do Iaido or Kenjutsu, but I take what's provided :)

Thank You very much!

Philipp

P.S. please excuse mistakes in my english :)

gendzwil
25th January 2007, 15:02
Have you looked here (http://www.kendo.org.uk/pmwiki.php/Main/England)?

Lorizean
25th January 2007, 17:56
Yep - I don't really know where those places are, because I'm not from here, but one of my teachers said the nearest would be about 40 minutes away - and thats unfortunately too long, considering my timetable :(

Andy Watson
25th January 2007, 19:45
Phillip

Greg Drewe at Kenyukan in Stevenage is the closest BKA Iaido and Jodo dojo to you I think. If this is 40 minutes then I would say you live closer to it than the average student that I know of in martial arts. Most of our students in London have to travel more than an hour to get to us. Greg is also one of the nicest and well balanced martial arts teachers that I know and his iai is something a bit special.

You might want to try Tim Hamilton (Chidokan) to see if there are any Roshukai dojos in your vicinity though.

Good luck

Chidokan
25th January 2007, 20:59
sorry, our closest is either nottingham or great yarmouth area.

Lorizean
25th January 2007, 21:41
ok, thank you very much :)

I think I won't get permission to travel that "far", so I unfortunately can't train iaido/kendo :(

I'll see what I can do about it, but I don't think there is a great chance^^

so, cheers anyway and bye

Philipp

ScottUK
25th January 2007, 21:44
You shouldn't give up so easy.

Try it and see if it is worth the effort in your eyes before you shoot it down. Kenyukan is a great place to do iai.

gendzwil
25th January 2007, 21:55
40 minutes is really very close as these things go. If I were the instructor, I wouldn't consider opening a second branch so close. It's hard enough managing students and training space in one place.

Lorizean
26th January 2007, 13:05
hm, I've just seen that the training is on sundays! thats great :)
I was just concerned because all the other Dojo's hat their training late during the week - and because I have to stay at school except for short episodes of about 1 hour at those times, it wouldn't work.
So I'll just come and have a look at the Kenyukan, thank you guys :D