PDA

View Full Version : Ronin or Tokaido?

DavidPotesta
31st January 2007, 17:57
I posted about 2 weeks ago about my wanting to purchase a Gi. I think I've narrowed it down to either a Ronin Single Weave Black heavy and the Tokaido Ultimate Black. The Ronin is almost 1/3 the price at about $65 and the Tokaido is $140+. Is the Tokaido that much better? Why is the Tokaido so expensive?

Thanks!
David Potesta
Chicago

Prince Loeffler
31st January 2007, 18:05
Why is the Tokaido so expensive?

Thanks!
David Potesta
Chicago

Quality and I also have Shureido

MakotoDojo
31st January 2007, 19:47
Hi,

I use Ronin, have some "jiu-jitsu gi" (sic) and also karate gi. I buy the heavy weight Karate ones. They REALLY hold up! One of my students is still using the same Jujutsu gi hey got about three years ago and the only thing he had to replace was the draw string which wore thin (after three years of constant washing and wearing)

Two of my students have Tokai do (which are about twice the cost of the best ronin) and they feel a "bit" lighter" but also are VERY soft (brushed?) and a bit more ritzy (special thingy on the inside on your shoulders etc.)

Overall, the Tokaido are "nicer" feeling and maybe looking, they have not had them long enough to judge wear and tear though. But like I said about $70.00 for a gi that is lasting three years and still going is not bad.

So, I don't know if that helped or not LOL!

Bon Chance!

Sincerely,

Gakkousei
31st January 2007, 20:12
I have a Tokkaido dougi that was passed down to me by my instructor. It's very nice, and was already decently worn when I got it. When it wears, i plan on replacing it with a double weave black judo or jiu-jitsu kimono.

I've heard nice things about Ronin, but have never personally tried them out. By default, I have no choice but to suggest Tokkaido, since try-before-buy is not an option with uniforms.

DavidPotesta
31st January 2007, 20:16
Thanks guys! So far it looks like I'll get the Ronin. :)

David Potesta
Chicago

DavidPotesta
1st February 2007, 11:14
OK. I just wanted to follow up. I ordered the Ronin last night for $65.

Thanks for all of your help!

David Potesta
Chicago