PDA

View Full Version : Warning B&Q Scam

stevenm
3rd February 2007, 17:00
I'm not usually one for posting warnings about potential scams but I had a close call today.

As I walked into B&Q at Poole and some old guy dressed in orange asked me if I wanted decking. Fortunately, I got a Jun Zuki Jodan in first and that was the end of that.

Those less alert might not be so lucky.

Tripitaka of AA
3rd February 2007, 17:20
Last time I went there, it was an old bloke offering tips on getting plastered! Then when I took my tiles to the cashier, I queued up behind some young girls and the cashier asked if I needed any tips on getting them laid. It's getting so you can't grab an elbow or choose a good screw without stumbling over a double-entendre.

Still, at least the baldies in orange at B&Q don't do that irritating chanting and banging of drums. :)

All attempts at humour above come with a special 3-day money-back guarantee. Any donations will be given to charity. Any non-English readers may need to adjust their humour-receptors before contacting the complaints department...

Ewok
5th February 2007, 03:50
I need clarification as to what B&Q is? (Hardware mega-super-store?)

Sounds like a BBQ that didn't quite make it, or hit the grog early and things just went strange.

ScottUK
5th February 2007, 09:27
Not sure of your nationality, Leon - but the Americans call it Home Depot. Yep, a monster of a hardware store.

Niec posts, Steve & David... :)

luar
5th February 2007, 15:11
Not sure of your nationality, Leon - but the Americans call it Home Depot. Yep, a monster of a hardware store.

Niec posts, Steve & David... :)

I thought they were talking about some chicken and ribs place.

Tripitaka of AA
5th February 2007, 19:34
There was a store in Japan few years ago called "Biggu Sammu". It did not refer to a large gentleman called Sam, but actually to a "big thumb", as in " a big thumb that has swollen up after being hit with a hammer". DIY is a hobby in Japan, but not as significant a force in home improvement as it is in the UK. Tradesmen are still employed for their skills, whereas in the UK at least, the reputation of your local builder is seldom measured by the quality of his work... it is usually considered a personal triumph just to have found a Builder that hasn't stolen your DVD player, your life savings, your children or your faith in humanity.

ScottUK
5th February 2007, 19:46
Cowboy builders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDXIZ4uYDBQ

JL.
5th February 2007, 21:16
What in the world is supposed to be funny about that clip?

JL

Tripitaka of AA
6th February 2007, 05:38
I didn't find myself rolling about with laughter on that one... as I've seen builders doing far worse than that. I think the main thrust of the humour is based on the pun around the phrase "Cowboy Builders". In the UK, you'll often hear the modifier "Cowboy-xxx" to denote an unqualified, poorly-skilled, greedy and cheating tradesman who will do a bad job and overcharge for it... then ride off into the sunset to disappear in a cloud of dust. It gets used a lot, but is sometimes replaced by "Mickey Mouse-xxx", which denotes someone who might perhaps sign their name as "Michael Mouse" or some other fictitious name when filling out Tax forms or official papers. They would prefer to operate in the twilight world of anonymous "no-questions-asked" tax-free work.

Back to the clip, the worker is clearly a Sikh, as in an "Indian". Thus, an "Indian" being a "Cowboy". Funny, a bit... but not if you need to explain it.

A prize to anyone who can now take this thread and make it relevant to Shorinji Kempo :)

Kari MakiKuutti
6th February 2007, 07:12
A prize to anyone who can now take this thread and make it relevant to Shorinji Kempo :)
Doshin So said: If you want to break bricks, use a hammer not your hand.

Tripitaka of AA
6th February 2007, 07:24
Bravo!! :D :)

ScottUK
6th February 2007, 08:47
What in the world is supposed to be funny about that clip?

JLNothing, other than the state of the DIY - as related to David's post about the level of cowboy builders in the UK.