PDA

View Full Version : Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu

Joris Oomens
13th February 2007, 17:10
Hi all, hope you're all ok.

I recently became informed about the existence of Katori Shinto ryu.

I am really intrested in learning more about this ancient art.

Since i am still learning tai-jutsu. Would it be smart to start learning in TSKST at the same time?
Or is it ment to become trained with a more specifik martial art like Aikido (Aikikai style).

Thank you very much for youre intrest.

Greets Joris

Charles Mahan
13th February 2007, 17:21
I would suggest searching the forum archives.

Fred27
13th February 2007, 20:51
What Charles said. And to add to that: http://www.tenshinsho-den-katori-shinto-ryu.org/

1/2
14th February 2007, 17:18

Since i am still learning tai-jutsu. Would it be smart to start learning in TSKST at the same time?
Or is it ment to become trained with a more specifik martial art like Aikido (Aikikai style).

Greets Joris

I practised bouth nin jutsu and Katori Shinto Ryu at the same time, and had no problems with this. You'll just have to keep in mind that you are practising two different martial arts. If you can keep this in mind I think there is no problem in practising more than one martial art.

There are many martial artists who have practised more than 2 arts simoultaniously and done well in them, so as long as you keep your focus and practise hard this will work out.

Best of luck.

Tom Kares
9th March 2007, 01:39
I take KSR at a Dojo that follows Sugino Yukihiro Sensei (headmaster of the Sugino branch, Yuishinkan Dojo in Kawasaki City) approach to Katori Shinto Ryu.

KSR is an awesome style to learn.

Remember "Ōtake" style is not the only style KSR there is out there. Don't be fooled otherwise. Both great interpretations of the style, but hard to find dojo's that actually teach it.

Dean Whittle
9th March 2007, 04:52
Popcorn anyone....

fifthchamber
9th March 2007, 06:24
No need for popcorn, it's a perfectly fair statement, if perhaps slanted to his own line of training. Both lines are recognised by the Soke and finding a teacher anyway is still hard to do, although perhaps slightly easier with the spread of the Sugino line..
I don't see any problem with the above statement..

Richie112
9th March 2007, 22:47

Greets Joris

To give you a proper answer Joris

I think that this is a matter for you to discuss with you tai-jutsu teacher. Then if they agree that it is acceptable for you to cross train you will then have to find a teacher that (a), that will teach you and (b), be in agreement that it is possible for you to cross train.

However, before you ask your teacher, you could perhaps educate yourself further by searching the forums here and by looking through the articles at koryu.com. I would also recommend that you purchase and read the 3 volume series of essays on Koryu Bujutsu compiled and edited by Diane Skoss. They are for sale at koryu.com