PDA

View Full Version : home study courses?

tengu33
13th February 2007, 18:51
Just wondering if I could get some input on what people think of home study courses in bujinkan(van donk) or to shin do(hayes) If anyone has any experience with either of those courses I would appreciate the feedback. I'm leaning more towards Hayes at the moment and I'm hoping to find someone to train in one of these in the dallas area

j. mcginn

BMinter
13th February 2007, 19:19
Hey Justin,

If you do some searching on the forum, you'll find that this topic has been discussed at great length before. Basically, most of the responses you'll get here - and I agree wholeheartedly - will be to find a qualified instructor in your area first. You'll learn in a dojo what it would take you a lifetime to learn by video. If that is not an option, I would reccomend one or two basic DVDs available through Quest Distributors I believe. Two great ones for the beginner's reference would be either "Kobudo no Kihon" or "Gyoku Ryu Koppojutsu " - both done by Soke, covering the basics (Sanshin, Kihon Happo). Again though, these videos may not mean anything to you if you haven't met with an instructor first - this is a very difficult art to learn, I can't imagine trying to do so by a distance learning course.

Also - keep in mind that To Shin Do is a completely different system than the BBT.

Best,

Brian
San Diego

saru1968
13th February 2007, 19:58
Better to travel infrequently to a Dojo because of distance rather than cover the short distance to a DVD or VHS player.

Do a search much has been covered on Stephen Hayes move away from Bujinkan proprer and his path of Toshindo. Thats not to say Toshindo is not valid as MA but its not Bujinkan.(please here no Toshindo students take exception)

RVD students have a forum here http://www.ninjutsuforum.com/ where you can ask there opnion of their experiences of homestudy.

But do a search and come back if you have any questions.

But just to repeat if its all possible get yourself down to a Dojo.

Jieze
13th February 2007, 20:15
Okay, so it's generally agreed that home-training is by far not the best method.

But surely there are some sort of techniques specifically designed to improve Ninjutsu concepts that you can do in the comfort of your own home?

If so, do share!

TonyU
13th February 2007, 20:20
Okay, so it's generally agreed that home-training is by far not the best method.

But surely there are some sort of techniques specifically designed to improve Ninjutsu concepts that you can do in the comfort of your own home?

If so, do share!
Yes, practice what was taught by a qualified instructor.

saru1968
13th February 2007, 21:48
Just out of interest how far is the nearest Bujinkan Dojo from you?

Do you have your own transport?

There might be students that travel from your area to a Dojo you can hook up with.

My Instructor's Dojo is just under 200 miles away.

stormy
13th February 2007, 21:50
It takes him ages by bus!!! :)

JLawrence
14th February 2007, 05:16
I did home study courses when I was younger. What a waste of time. Don't know what I was thinking. Just find the closest dojo for Bujinkan, Genbukan, Jinenkan, or if you prefer Hayes's art, To-Shin Do, and get there whenever you can. Do some research, go to the sites and find dojo listings, email or call the teacher and set up an introductory class. I live in RI and went to a Bujinkan school about 90 miles away for awhile before switching to a Jinenkan school 150 miles away. Just gotta search around for what you want.

Let us know how it turns out, good luck!

DWeidman
14th February 2007, 07:29
Just wondering if I could get some input on what people think of home study courses in bujinkan(van donk) or to shin do(hayes) If anyone has any experience with either of those courses I would appreciate the feedback. I'm leaning more towards Hayes at the moment and I'm hoping to find someone to train in one of these in the dallas area

j. mcginn

Why are you even considering Homestudy when you live in Dallas?

-Daniel

tweety
14th February 2007, 08:35
Isn't Luke Molitor in Dallas?

There are people who would give their left ~%$£"%£ to train with Luke.

http://www.jigokudojo.com/

tengu33
14th February 2007, 12:33
didn't know about luke
i've checked out ralph severe and one of busseys guys and it just wasn't as good a fit as i found with the bujinkan guys i trained with in florida

Jieze
14th February 2007, 19:54
Interesting.. unfortunately the nearest Bujinkan Dojo to me is (I believe) in Edinburgh. I live in Aberdeen. I seriously doubt that there are any practitioners in my vicinity. Aside from that, I'm not even sure of the authenticity of Bujinkan Edinburgh.
Yes, practice what was taught by a qualified instructor.In response to this, are there any techniques apparent in Ninjutsu that might not require instruction, for example Zazen, and instead can be directed from a book, for example the Art of the Ninja, by Masaaki Hatsumi.

saru1968
14th February 2007, 20:23
Interesting.. unfortunately the nearest Bujinkan Dojo to me is (I believe) in Edinburgh. I live in Aberdeen. I seriously doubt that there are any practitioners in my vicinity. Aside from that, I'm not even sure of the authenticity of Bujinkan Edinburgh.In response to this, are there any techniques apparent in Ninjutsu that might not require instruction, for example Zazen, and instead can be directed from a book, for example the Art of the Ninja, by Masaaki Hatsumi.

http://bujinkanbudodojos.myfreeforum.org/forum10.php

I know the chap who teaches at Bujinkan Edinburgh, John a Shodan if memory serves and as far as i'm aware a fully paid up Bujinkan member.

Try ask at their forum..

http://www.bujinkan-scotland.com/phpbb/index.php

I know the lessons can be hit or miss due to his academic student commitments plus the fact the head guy seems to be traveling round the world after getting married.

There are two very good Dojos in Glasgow aswell.

http://bujinkanbudodojos.myfreeforum.org/forum11.php

Dundee would be closer....

http://bujinkanbudodojos.myfreeforum.org/Bujinkan_Wirral_Dojo_Shibu_about61.html

Bujinkan Wirral Dojo Shibu

Dundee

http://www.bujinkanwirral.com/instructorFrame.php?insId=11

whatstheworst@hotmail.com

Gaz

DWeidman
14th February 2007, 20:27
Interesting.. unfortunately the nearest Bujinkan Dojo to me is (I believe) in Edinburgh. I live in Aberdeen. I seriously doubt that there are any practitioners in my vicinity. Aside from that, I'm not even sure of the authenticity of Bujinkan Edinburgh.

Then why are you looking into the BJK? This is an honest question.

In response to this, are there any techniques apparent in Ninjutsu that might not require instruction, for example Zazen, and instead can be directed from a book, for example the Art of the Ninja, by Masaaki Hatsumi.

Hm. I suppose so. But I reckon' it is about the same as considering yourself a baseball player simply by owning a baseball. Surely you see the difference between what you would be doing in a house - sitting still and humming to yourself - as different to what is going on at the Hombu, right?

-DW

Jieze
14th February 2007, 20:33
Then why are you looking into the BJK? This is an honest question.I was given 'The Essence of Ninjutsu' as a Birthday Present. I have read of the Bujinkan Dojo and of Soke Masaaki Hatsumi. Although I have accepted that it is unlikely to happen in the near future, I one day hope to study in the Bujinkan. Perhaps when/if I go to University elsewhere, there will be a dojo nearby.
Hm. I suppose so. But I reckon' it is about the same as considering yourself a baseball player simply by owning a baseball. Surely you see the difference between what you would be doing in a house - sitting still and humming to yourself - as different to what is going on at the Hombu, right?Of course I recognise the difference, though I dispute your earlier comparison; I do not consider myself a Bujinkan member, and would still not consider myself one even if I were to spend some time doing similar techniques.

I consider myself an over enthusiastic, wannabe student.

Edit; Just noticed your post, saru1968, thank you for the effort. :)

stormy
14th February 2007, 21:20
There's also a Bujinkan Dojo in Dundee which i think is closer to Aberdeen

saru1968
14th February 2007, 21:33
Dundee would be closer....

http://bujinkanbudodojos.myfreeforum.org/Bujinkan_Wirral_Dojo_Shibu_about61.html
Bujinkan Wirral Dojo Shibu

Dundee
http://www.bujinkanwirral.com/instructorFrame.php?insId=11
whatstheworst@hotmail.com

Gaz

There's also a Bujinkan Dojo in Dundee which i think is closer to Aberdeen

Norm, I'm gonna get you some glasses for your 60th.... :p

or is it the bourbon?

I mentioned the dundee one in my prior post..lol

stormy
14th February 2007, 21:35
Norm, I'm gonna get you some glasses for your 60th.... :p

or is it the bourbon?

I mentioned the dundee one in my prior post..lol

Sorry gaz, didn't see it, yep, i need Bourbon

JLawrence
15th February 2007, 04:40
Check out Genbukan and Jinenkan dojos in your area, you may find one close by you could check out.