PDA

View Full Version : Kenjutsu or Iaido near Seattle, WA

EyesOfWolf
14th February 2007, 07:40
I recently moved to Mountlake Terrace in Washington, which is about twenty minutes north of Seattle. I have heard that Seattle is a wonderful place with lots of kenjutsu opportunities. However, most of the information I come across in terms of schools is outdated at best. Further, I wanted to know which schools would be recommended, rather than merely choosing one at random.

I searched the forums, but all the posts that I found were at least two years old. If anyone has any suggestions for a dojo to visit, I would appreciate it. While I am here, I wold like to take advantage of this opportunity.

Thank you in advance!

Brian Owens
14th February 2007, 11:40
Hi Dylan,

Wow, you asked more than you may know. The Seattle area may have more koryu exponents of various ryu than anywhere outside Japan. (A few phonies, too, so proceed with caution.) Lots of Iai and Kendo all over the area.

Much will depend on how far you can travel, and what your free times are.

Others will likely chime with more, but here are a few right off the top of my head that I have personal experience with:

Iaido:

Muso Shinden Ryu in Redmond under Tatsuhiko Konno Sensei, 7th Dan Renshi
Chief instructor of Muso Shinden Ryu Kenkyukai (Muso Kai, for short).
Web site is: http://www.musokai.org/
Konno Sensei also holds 6th Dan in Kendo, but as far as I know they don't do that at Muso Kai. He probably teaches at various other PNKF Kendo dojo, though.

One of Konno Sensei's advanced students, Dick Anderson Sensei, 6th Dan teaches at Everett Community College, which is a little closer to you.
Web site is: http://www.kendo-pnw.org/everett/index.php
Anderson Sensei also teaches Kendo at EvCC.

Scot Irey Sensei was teaching Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu in Everett, but has since moved classes to West Seattle and Bellingham.

Phil Relnick Sensei heads the Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto Ryu for the Americas as the Western Hemisphere's representative to Otake Sensei. He also is a high-ranking teacher of Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo. His dojo is in Woodinville.
The Web site is: http://www.tenshinsho-den-katori-shinto-ryu.org

These are just four teachers whom I have met and observed. If I haven't named any who are on your or others lists, it is only because I haven't personally attended a class nor seen a demo -- it doesn't necessarily mean I don't know of their reputations or wouldn't recommend them.

HTH.

Jeremy Hulley
14th February 2007, 16:54
Robby Pellett teaches Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu at Seattle School of Aikido on Saturday mornings.
If you are intersted feel free to contact myself jchulley@msn.com or Chris Moses, christianmoses@hotmail.com and we can give you the details.
Best
Jeremy

EyesOfWolf
16th February 2007, 05:04
First of all I would like to thank you so much for these leads. It sounds like I have truly found a place with lots of opportunity. As far as transportation goes, I have my own vehicle as well as a bus pass, so that is not a problem. I am willing to adjust my schedule to fit a dojo. The only thing that I cannot change is my work schedule. We all need some way to pay the bills, do we not?

I will definitely follow up with these links. Thank you again for your help sirs.

Brian Owens
16th February 2007, 06:54
...As far as transportation goes, I have...a bus pass, so that is not a problem. I am willing to adjust my schedule to fit a dojo.
I'm a Community Transit & Sound Transit dispatcher, so if you need any help figuring out the fastest and cheapest ways to get anywhere by bus, send me a PM.

I hope you can find a workable schedule for a dojo that fits you.

Bruce Mitchell
17th February 2007, 05:52
You guys also have Ellis Amdur up there, you lucky, lucky bastards.
http://www.ellisamdur.com/martial_arts.html

If you are interested in a slightly bigger weapon, Kurt Schmucker teaches naginata up there as well.
http://www.naginata.org/usnf/dojos.html

kenkyusha
17th February 2007, 11:13
You guys also have Ellis Amdur up there, you lucky, lucky bastards.

If you are interested in a slightly bigger weapon...
Doesn't Amdur Sensei teach Naginatajutsu of the Toda-ha Buko Ryu?

Be well,
Jigme

Brian Owens
17th February 2007, 12:42
Doesn't Amdur Sensei teach Naginatajutsu of the Toda-ha Buko Ryu?
Yes, as well as Araki Ryu and Aikido. He wears many hats...er, boshi?

Ren Blade
20th February 2007, 05:10
Garron Billick is a Kenjutsu instructor of Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho in Seattle, WA. You can reach him at gurrno@gmail.com

EyesOfWolf
23rd February 2007, 17:53
Thank you again for a couple of more links. I will be sending out some more queries and will be visiting some dojos soon. I am looking forward to finding the one that fits me the best.

I just had one question at this point. Is the Scott Irey-sensei that was suggested the same as the Scott Irey registered on this site? I sent an email to his public address but didn't know if I had the right person since I haven't heard back yet.

I never realized just how lucky I was coming here!

Brian Owens
23rd February 2007, 22:08
...Is the Scott Irey-sensei that was suggested the same as the Scott Irey registered on this site? I sent an email to his public address but didn't know if I had the right person since I haven't heard back yet.
Yes, he's a member here. He doesn't post as often as he used to, and maybe doesn't check his e-mail very often either. He's a pretty busy guy, I think, and maybe spread a little thin. Give him time and I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he can.

Neil Yamamoto
23rd February 2007, 22:16
I'll probably see Scott tomorrow, I'll tell him to check his email. Scott's been pretty busy lately and he's made a few changes to his teaching availability.

You may want to check with Anthony Pope, who works with Scott and is one of his students. Anthony teaches out of the Everett area.