PDA

View Full Version : In Depth: Who Do you Blame ?

Prince Loeffler
15th February 2007, 01:25
Who do you blame if you lose in a tournament ? Elaborate ?

elder999
15th February 2007, 02:42
Who do you blame if you lose in a tournament ? Elaborate ?

Ya left one out: the opponent.

Haven't competed in a good long while, but I always blamed myself....and the guy that beat me.....

Brian Owens
15th February 2007, 04:12
I didn't vote, because there was no choice for "No one."

In any competition there are only three possible outcomes: win, lose, or draw.

If I did my best, and my opponent did his best, what is there to blame anyone for?

MikeWilliams
15th February 2007, 10:52
I voted "referee" because... well just because. :D

Last tournament I fought in, I blamed my cornerman.

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame!

:p

Prince Loeffler
15th February 2007, 16:45
Ya left one out: the opponent.

Haven't competed in a good long while, but I always blamed myself....and the guy that beat me.....

Hmm You are right I did.. :) It has to be the other guys fault :p

Prince Loeffler
15th February 2007, 17:01
I didn't vote, because there was no choice for "No one."

In any competition there are only three possible outcomes: win, lose, or draw.

If I did my best, and my opponent did his best, what is there to blame anyone for?

I like this choice Brian ! I started this thread based on the conversation I heard. This got me thinking last night, how do we really know we did our best ? Realizing that we can often be our own worst judge, can we really be honest about ourselves ?

When I was competing last year at the Nikkei tournament, I was confident after performing my Chinto kata that It was best I have done in while, I felt that I had the power , the spirit and the attitude behind every movement and execution of the techniques. After watching the playback, only then I realized boy did I stank on this kata...Oh well back to the darn mat !! :) :)

Gimbo
22nd February 2007, 23:38
I remeber judging katas at the last tournament and you can tell a winner from a loser almost right away. To win you really have to have a snap to your kata, even if your stance and basics are there if your just walking though it your going to get an average, which is teh lose.

Of course after doing my kata and losing I realized thats exactly what I didnt do, I still got a long way to go to win though. I dont mind though, I enjoy the training.

trevorg
25th February 2007, 16:25
IMHO there is only one person to blame if you fail in competition, yourself.

Either you are ill-prepared or have misjudged the opposition, or you have been elevated beyond your competence thus suspended in a make believe world of self importance.

If, as in Kyokushin knockdown tournaments where grade, weight are an irrelevance, then when a low grade lightweight is whacked hell by a high grade huge guy, then there is no-one to blame. You just learn from the experience.

Osu
Trevor

CEB
26th February 2007, 00:32
The Democrats.

stauffer214
3rd March 2007, 21:04
I blame the spectators. It is all their fault.

TonyU
3rd March 2007, 23:41
I don't compete anymore, actually I stopped competing back when I was in my twenty's.
When I did, I didn't lose often. When I did, I did blame myself. I laways berated myself for not being better than my opponent when I lost.
I do agree with Mr. Owens as far as it's no one's fault but I was always hard on myself and a perfectionist. I guess I still somewhat.
With a proper mindset that is the way to go into IMO, that is to try your best and what happens, happens.

Jeff Cook
5th March 2007, 01:50
The Democrats.

I thought everything was Pres. Bush's fault?

Jeff Cook

Chris McLean
5th March 2007, 02:07
There is no one person that gets to decide who wins in a tournament.
Blame is not a word I would use at all. Tournaments are simply an opportunity to practice in public and achieve a higher level of proficiency so any one who does it gains from it there is no loss and no blame only a gain in ability. You reach higher levels in a tournament that you would not normally do because of the energy involved.
Every dojo I have ever practiced in the competitors where the best practioners on the mat. Then there was always the group who pointed their fingers and said “that is not the right way” Most important thing to remember is have fun.

The best athlete

wants their opponent at their best.

The best general

enters the mind of their enemy.

The best businessperson

serves the communal good.

The best leader

follows the will of the people.

All of them embody

the virtue of non-competition.

Not that they don't love to compete,

but they do it in the spirit of play.

In this they are like children

and in harmony with the Tao.

powerof0ne
5th March 2007, 16:26
I've had bad refs a couple times that I remember; one time my instructor even voiced his opinion and almost started a fight.
I had a student fight once where he was taking some rabid punches to the back of the head(muay thai fight), which were illegal and I told the ref that they were, and he said "do you want me to take a point away for this round?" and I said yes but the other guy's corner said you better not..."great" ref.
I had a friend once throw combination after combination on the Oregon branch chief of a particular style. All the branch chief did was throw chudan tsuki, nothing else. It was obvious that my friend won but they awarded it to the branch chief, coincidentally, the style he's a branch chief for is the style that puts on this tournament.
More times than not when I competed and lost, it was usually my fault.

MikeWilliams
5th March 2007, 16:43
he said "do you want me to take a point away for this round?" and I said yes but the other guy's corner said you better not..."great" ref.
I had a friend once throw combination after combination on the Oregon branch chief of a particular style. All the branch chief did was throw chudan tsuki, nothing else. It was obvious that my friend won but they awarded it to the branch chief, coincidentally, the style he's a branch chief for is the style that puts on this tournament.

First rule of competing away from home: Do not rely on getting the points!

...and then there's the refs who spend most of the time watching their own students on another mat, rather than watching the fight they are meant to be refereeing. (Although this might just be a Brazilian thing, dunno if it affects you karate boys, LOL)