PDA

View Full Version : teachers that teach one on one

Wayne1976
15th February 2007, 04:04
hi is there anyone out there that does one on one training

niten ninja
15th February 2007, 08:29
Alot of teachers will provide private lessons if you ask, though they tend to be quite expensive.

Gary Arthur
15th February 2007, 08:38
Niten Ninja posted

hi is there anyone out there that does one on one training

I think your confusing us with the Sith. one master one student.

Seriously though private lessons are a good way to really get down what you need but remember that you only learn to fight one man in a private lesson. Training with others is a must IMO.

Gary Arthur

Shindai
15th February 2007, 09:39
I've been looking for a private tutor for a while, but a little story: I'm used to training with people roughly my height (I'm 5'9'', I've seldom trained with anybody much taller or shorter) so I was doing ok with the chokes in the class, until a very tall friend stepped up. I basically couldn't get my arm around his throat :s I had to tip toe to the point of having no balance, and pull him back quickly to break his so he couldn't just shrug me off.

Wouldn't have had to think on my feet (ha, pardon the irony/pun) like that in a private lesson. If you find one, then use it as a supplement to a public class, to polish yourself and learn, rather than the substitute it. You'll be a more proficient martial artist for it :)

saru1968
15th February 2007, 10:35
Niten Ninja posted

I think your confusing us with the Sith. one master one student.

Gary Arthur

Actually the Jedi work the same....one inward one outward.

Evan London
15th February 2007, 12:20
As Dan pointed out, one on one training is good for supplemental work, but not very helpful in understading how techniques work on a variety of different body types.

That said, for the beginner who is just learning how to move, one on one training can be very helpful in getting the bugs out and polishing ones taijutsu to the point where the student learns how to move properly. Frequently this is overlooked in the race to learn techniques in a class setting instead of learning how to use your body properly first.

Ev

ElfTengu
16th February 2007, 07:26
How many people trained with Hatsumi and Tanemura Sensei?

I think many of us got the impression that their training was one-to-one until we heard of Akimoto sensei etc. It doesn't seem to have been a very big group anyhow.

Just thought I'd throw this into the discussion.

ElfTengu
16th February 2007, 07:29
I meant Takamatsu sensei, not Tanemura sensei, sorry!