PDA

View Full Version : question on ryu

Aikikai
19th February 2007, 21:54
So currently im taking Aikido/iaido in northern california and Im moving to southern california and I'm interested in taking up a sword art. I have no idea which one and I was wondering if you guys could tell me something about the different kind of ryu's (i.e. mugai ryu, ishin ryu, etc...). Thanks everyone

Adam Westphal
20th February 2007, 02:18
Tony Alvarez of Senpokan Dojo (bigtony@senpokan.com) practices Mugai Ryu in the L.A. area. I know that Kuroda-sensei and Niina Gosoke end up going to California once a year.

The main web page is: http://mugairyu.com/

The introductory kata are 10 seated, 5 standing, 5 running. Training includes kumitachi and tameshigiri at the higher levels. I'd recommend taking a look. Kuroda-sensei can certainly give more specifics than I can, so if you have any questions, shoot 'em out there.

Aikikai
20th February 2007, 03:25
are basicly all -ryus the same? how do they differ?

DDATFUS
20th February 2007, 03:42
are basicly all -ryus the same?
nope.

how do they differ?

You could write a book on that... they differ in both physical technique and in the mindset behind the technique. I recommend that you do some reading on www.koryu.com. Try to read Wayne Muromoto's article "What is a Ryu?" It's a great place to start. Then do some basic reading on MSR, MJER, Mugai-ryu, etc.

There's some good sword stuff out your way. Good luck with it.

Aikikai
20th February 2007, 13:28
Im not talking about all -ryus im talking about specificly sword-ryus mugai-ryu eishin-ryu. I was hoping you guys could tell me about a few different sword arts and how they differ I know the basics of kendo, mugai-ryu, iaido but thats abou it.

Adam Westphal
20th February 2007, 15:26
This question is very difficult to answer. Personally, I only have experience with two different styles and that experience isn't in-depth enough for me to give you an intelligent answer.

They differ in the kata that are taught, they differ in how dojo etiquette is done, they differ in subtle philosophical ways that you'll only figure out through sweating on the mat/floor with the teachers of that particular school.

Find out where the local dojos are and go watch and talk to the people teaching. They're more representative of their arts than anything I can say. Seeing many different styles will give you some context to judge the differences you pick up on before you start practicing.

Bob Blackburn
20th February 2007, 15:29
Some background here

http://koryu.com/guide/ryuguide.html

MarkF
22nd February 2007, 05:02
You say you are or have trained in iaido in your profile. I am positive you will not have a difficult time finding a dojo in Los Angeles. Ask your current or former iaido instructor for a recommendation.

Mark

Kagami
25th February 2007, 02:40
Regarding the Gendai Budo, Southern California also has a large Kendo population. http://www.eanet.com/sckf/dojo.htm can show you the accredited kendo dojo in the area.

It should also be noted that many Kendoka also practice Seitei-Gata Ryu Iaido. This, the official ryu of the AJKF (All-Japan Kendo Federation) also is firmly rooted in California. Federated schools have strict requirements to abide by in terms of quality, so you know it's the real deal.

'Luck,
Andrew Manoske

Brian Owens
25th February 2007, 09:06
...It should also be noted that many Kendoka also practice Seitei-Gata Ryu Iaido. This, the official ryu of the AJKF (All-Japan Kendo Federation) also is firmly rooted in California.
Please forgive me for contradicting you, but the Seiteigata is not a ryu; it's a set of kata. The kata were chosen from representative ryu, and have become more or less standardized within the AJKF/ZNKR (that's what "seiteigata/seitei kata" means: "standardized forms"), but that does not qualify them as a seperate ryu in and of themselves.

"Seitei-Gata Ryu Iaido" is not (unless I am very mistaken) the proper name, but rather just "Seitei Iai" or "ZNKR Iai" (to distinguish it from koryu iai such as Muso Shinden Ryu, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, etc. that are practiced by many Kendoka after learning the Seiteigata).

HTH.