PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate behaviour in the Dojo

Ewok
22nd February 2007, 01:17
Recently I joined Mixi, a Japanese social networking site, and was delighted to find a fairly large Shorinji Kempo group. Although it lacks the content found here (its more social than technical), I found it amusing that allot of the feelings and opinions given here are found on Mixi among the Japanese kenshi.

One of the topics that came up recently was inappropriate behaviour in the Dojo, specifically relationships between men and women. I'm sure its been on here before, but we can discuss it again.

So to get the ball rolling, what do you consider to be inappropriate behaviour in the dojo, and what do you and your dojocho do to ensure that relationships between men and women training in your dojo remain happy?

For example at my dojo when we do seiho the guys are discouraged from pairing up with the women (exceptions exist) to avoid complicated situations. Also when specifically practicing techniques involving attacking the collar they try to pair the women up.

Rob Gassin
22nd February 2007, 11:55
We have a good record of not attracting females in Melbourne. We're a macho club. So no issues with male/female relationship.

In my hapkido class, the ratio is 70/30. There has never been any issues of a disagreeable sexual nature. We even do ground fighting together - gets a bit erotic to watch sometimes :) but everyone seems to know where to draw the line.

BlackPaladin
22nd February 2007, 18:10
Also when specifically practicing techniques involving attacking the collar they try to pair the women up.

As long as they only plan to be attacked in the street by women, this would work out perfectly.

Seriously, people need to get past this type of thing if they are to reach their full potential. Outside of the dojo, too.

Ewok
22nd February 2007, 23:42
As long as they only plan to be attacked in the street by women, this would work out perfectly.

Seriously, people need to get past this type of thing if they are to reach their full potential. Outside of the dojo, too.

Don't get me wrong, its not all the time.

Just to give a little background I've found various reports of women filing sexual harassment/assault charges against men who they train with - and at my dojo my teacher seems to make efforts to make sure everyone is comfortable.