PDA

View Full Version : Shorinji Kempo in Osaka? (Umeda?)

parryh
22nd February 2007, 13:18
Hello,

I am a British person living in Osaka, Japan... I want to study shorinji kempo, but I need to find a dojo. Preferably in central Osaka, somewhere near Umeda? Please can you send me details of any in that area?

My Japanese is very limited, so I need help to find a shorinji kempo.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Howell Parry.

Michael_Smith
22nd February 2007, 15:22
Gassho

You might want to start with either Kansai Gaikokugo Uni. Branch, Osaka or Otemon Gakuin Univ. Branch, Osaka. Even if you can't join a university branch they could guide you to a private club. I found that through Google and WSKO website. I know there are people on the forum better qualified to answer your question, so hopefully they will provide some insight.

Best of luck, enjoy your studies!

satsukikorin
25th February 2007, 03:43
On the umbrella website for Shorinji Kempo in Osaka Prefecture (http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~furen/) I found a webpage for a branch in Umeda (http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~furen/juusyo/umedaYC.htm). The website is all in Japanese, so if you want to explore your options you will need some (near-)native assistance, but here are the key points from the Umeda webpage translated for you:

1. Branch Name: Umeda YC Branch
2. Branch Master: (Mutsuo? Atsuo? Chikao?) Yamamoto-sensei, 7th dan
5. Practice days: every Saturday
6. Time: 5 - 7 pm
7. Dojo address: Yomiuri Umeda Bunka Center Kita-ku Chayamachi 2-16 百又(??) Building, 3rd floor
8. Nearest train station: Hankyu Umeda
9. Contact: ph06-6374-2637
10: PR Notes: One of the few Culture Center branches, with a 20-year history of classes; underneath its strictness it has an at-home feel, and also has a lot of women members; the great majority of members are (non-student) adults.

Sorry, names of people and places are tricky.

The Osaka-fu umbrella site lists another Umeda branch as follows (with no separate webpage):
Osaka Umeda [Branch], Tamura Eisuke(?) [sensei], ph06-6390-7871, Osaka Kita-ku Nakatsu 3-4-27, North Sports Center

Personally, I would advise visiting the three branches closest to your home and work, and deciding which one seems best for you. Training once per week, as per the Umeda YC Branch above, is almost certainly not enough for beginners.

Hope this helps. I haven't been in Osaka for a dozen years.

:)

Hazuki_47
25th February 2007, 22:46
Hi there Howell. It looks like you are getting some good advice here. There is no shortage of good places to train in Osaka! I am based in the south of the city, (Tennoji) but if you need any local help or translation assistance feel free to get in touch.