PDA

View Full Version : Hombu's Location.

Michael_Smith
26th February 2007, 22:49
Dear all

Gassho

I was watching a documentary on Shorinji Kempo, which wasn't from Hombu. It suggested that the chosen location of Hombu by Kaiso had a purpose. The documentary stated that Kaiso wanted a location that would not detract from learning and tried to emulate the simpler location of the shoalin temple. Apparently, Doshin So believed that the rual location of Tadotsu offered this. The documentary then went on to say that the local government also saw advantages to Hombu, because presence was of moral and educational benefit and provided jobs, boosting the local economy. Kaiso was then able to come to a mutual agreement to acquire a sufficient size of land for Hombu.

Does this ring true? Can anyone share further information on the subject?Were other known locations considered? I would like to find information from a more reliable Shorinji Kempo source rather than the BBC.

Domo Arigato

Custard
27th February 2007, 12:08
Gassho,

Are you talking about this one?

THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR:1:SHORINJI KEMPO:THE NEW WAY
Programme number: NBSF144L Date: 11/05/1983

This has ARAI and YAMASAKI listed as contributors. At least one of these names sound familiar.

B

Michael_Smith
27th February 2007, 15:46
Gassho

Bruce, if you visit the WSKO website and look under the list of instructors you will see just how familiar Arai Sense iand Yamasaki Sensei are :)

btw, I haven't seen you since you passed your grading, I meant to say congrats on Sunday but I was preoccupied with Phil twisting/locking/jabbing my wrist/arm/leg/head/etc...

kesshu

Custard
27th February 2007, 19:09
Gassho,

Thanks, must have been a while since I last saw you then?
There were a few people there I haven't seen for a bit but we were all very busy that day :-) Very good and useful day though.

So was it the same Documentary? Was it any good?

I read the synopsis for it and it seems that the 'Shorinji Kempo HQ' had a lot to say in the matter of the filming and research. The last paragraph states that no extracts or other use without Shorinji Kempo HQ permission.

B

David Dunn
27th February 2007, 21:19
That documentary is over 20 years old. It's quite good, but the tone of the commentary is a bit over the top. Mizuno Sensei made a complaint about it at the time, that it wasn't an accurate reflection of Shorinji Kempo training.

The commentary is by Denis Waterman - for Raul, one of the most famous of Cockney actors (Sweeney, Minder, Just William).

Tripitaka of AA
27th February 2007, 22:13
THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR:1:SHORINJI KEMPO:THE NEW WAY
Programme number: NBSF144L Date: 11/05/1983

Hi Bruce
Where does that description come from? Is it (fingers crossed) some sort of Video-on-demand menu?

Custard
28th February 2007, 10:00
Gassho,

It's not Video-on-demand I'm afraid. I looked it up in the back catalogue.
It was a series of 8 episodes: Shorinji Kempo, Kalari, Aikido ,Tai Chi, Eskrima, Karate, Shinto Ryu, Kung Fu. In that order, I believe. Wish I'd had the chance to see it.

It's possible (only remotely possible) that I can either get a copy or get the details of how to get a copy. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.
If it turns out that it is the one that Mike has, then it's probably easier to get a 'Borrow' though..

Kesshu.

B

Rob Gassin
28th February 2007, 11:33
I still consider 'The Way of Thre Warrior" the best MA documentary series ever.

There are a few pearls in the SK episode - Bando Sensei having difficulty reviving a kenshi he had knocked out with a punch. Bando sensei demonstrating how to bring down a bigger opponent. Suzuki sensei stating that we should consider everyone a potential threat and have to be ready to kill to protect ourself (I believe the SK hierarchy felt aggrieved by this statement). Overall the episode was very positive about SK and showed it in a good light although there was a bit too much emphasis on the religious aspect in my opinion.

Rumour has it that when the Series' producer was asked which style he would choose to do if he had the chance, he named SK.

Anders Pettersson
28th February 2007, 21:31
It's possible (only remotely possible) that I can either get a copy or get the details of how to get a copy. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.

I recently got quite good copies of all the episodes on a DVD (in mpeg4 format, except for one episode on mov format, but probably made from a good VHS copy)
A kenshi in my branch had found it on the net. :)

/Anders

JL.
28th February 2007, 21:39
I recently got quite good copies of all the episodes on a DVD []I'm starting to get the impression that there's nothing SK related You don't own, Sensei! :) ;)

JL

Anders Pettersson
28th February 2007, 21:51
I'm starting to get the impression that there's nothing SK related You don't own, Sensei! :) ;)
Well I have a few things, a bunch of shakujo (actually only four) some nyibo, etc.
But for instance I don't have the hardback version of the "What is Shorinjikempo", I made some bids on this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Karate-Book-Shorinji-Kempo-Philosophy-Techniques_W0QQitemZ110094785467QQihZ001QQcategoryZ280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). One minute before the end of this auction I had done some bidding, raising it from about 45 dollars to 75 dollars and had the same bid as the then top bidder, 30 seconds or so before the end I raised my bid over that, but it rushed away to 123.50 in the last seconds. A little to much even for me, it is not that good book, just a thing that would be nice to have.

There are some other things as well that I don't have but would like to have, but there is a time for everything. ;)
The most important thing to have is a good time when practising together with one's friends, then trying to get good technique and understanding of techniques and philosophy. :)

/Anders

Rob Gassin
1st March 2007, 00:49
The most important thing to have is a good time when practising together with one's friends, then trying to get good technique and understanding of techniques and philosophy. :)

/Anders

Full marks for an excellent answer Sensei.

PeterL
7th March 2007, 06:37
Dear all

Gassho

I was watching a documentary on Shorinji Kempo, which wasn't from Hombu. It suggested that the chosen location of Hombu by Kaiso had a purpose. The documentary stated that Kaiso wanted a location that would not detract from learning and tried to emulate the simpler location of the shoalin temple. Apparently, Doshin So believed that the rual location of Tadotsu offered this. The documentary then went on to say that the local government also saw advantages to Hombu, because presence was of moral and educational benefit and provided jobs, boosting the local economy. Kaiso was then able to come to a mutual agreement to acquire a sufficient size of land for Hombu.

Does this ring true? Can anyone share further information on the subject?Were other known locations considered? I would like to find information from a more reliable Shorinji Kempo source rather than the BBC.

Domo Arigato

Initially, Kaiso taught out of his house, in his hometown which was Tadotsu. He drew most of his initial; students from JR (Japan railways), the local "home police" (now the JSDF) which had/has a base in nearby Zentsuji. As far as why he continued to stay I can only speculate, though I am sure the local gov was supportive, and rural Tadostu iwas/is relatively inexpensive, but I think a major factor would have been that he already had developed a core of students in the area.

Robert Liljeblad
18th March 2007, 09:01
Dear all

Domo Arigato

Hi,

I have been told that Kaiso considerd Kyoto, but the offer to accuire land in Tadotsu was to good to turn down.

Hi did spend much of his time travelling between Kyoto-betsuin doin and Tadotsu. I have heard that he spent two weeks at each place during several years.

Gassho.

Robert

nuu
19th March 2007, 12:51
There is some kind of restriction imposed on the 'Way of the Warrior', or at least the one which is about SK.

A friend who worked at the BBC was able to get me a copy of the video out on loan. However, unlike other videos, she was strictly prohibited from making a copy of this. Big red warning sticker on the box and all that. It had a very restricted and enforced loan period. For some reason, and I assume this is legal reasons, they are doing their best to make sure the programme is not distributed in any way.

Of course, the mystery surrounding this programme makes it all the more interesting....

Richard Codling
19th March 2007, 13:32
they are doing their best to make sure the programme is not distributed in any way.

Well I've seen VHS -> DVD pirate copies going on e-bay so they're not trying very hard.

If the choice for hombu's location was based on land cost I guess it made sense to go for the cheaper option (I'd have done it but then I did grow up in the Highlands of Scotland where there's some sterotype that we don't like spending money...)

colin linz
19th March 2007, 21:51
I emailed the BBC regarding this program a few years ago and was told that there are no plans for releasing it for sale, either as DVD or Video. I ended up buying one of the ones that crop up on ebay. It is the whole documentary and appears to have been copied from VHS to DVD. While the quality isn't particularly good, it is quite watchable.

Tripitaka of AA
20th March 2007, 02:44
At a guess, I'd imagine the restriction is down to the complaints made by Mizuno Sensei at the time of broadcast (although it was repeated some years later, so perhaps that is not the reason) - or maybe the sequence showing Bando Sensei knocking people out... could that be considered "offensive", or possibly "illegal"? I wonder...

BBC has an ongoing project to make its library available "on demand" over the net. Still in its early stages.... watch out for future developments.

Rob Gassin
20th March 2007, 11:10
I would think that the only reason the BBC has not released "The Way of the Warrior' series on DVD is that they consider that it would not be profitable to do so.

Let's face it, 22 years have passed since it's release and a lot has changed in the MA world.

Although I, and probably many others, consider it the best MA documentary series ever - by a country mile -, without TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai and the new combative systems (eg. Krav Marga), it can hardly be considered complete or even relevant to today's MA culture.