PDA

View Full Version : Looking for iaido dojo in Meguro/Shinagawa

tatsutahime
1st March 2007, 13:16
Hi there,

I posted this thread at kendo-world.com, and they suggested I come here for better luck...

Anyway, I'm going to be moving from Hiroshima to Tokyo this coming April, and I'm looking for a good place to study Iaido. I studied the Toyama Ryu for a little less than a year while I was living in Kyushu on the JET program several years ago, but I'm looking to to try something more traditional next time I start up again. Maybe Mugai Ryu or MJER.

Anyway, I'll be working in Shinagawa and living in Meguro, so I'm looking for something in that area. If you have any information, I'd be really grateful. (Also, I speak Japanese fluently, so the teacher's English ability isn't an issue.)

wreddock
1st March 2007, 14:17
Hi there,
Maybe Mugai Ryu or MJER.
I think you will find many more Muso Shinden Ryu dojo than MJER. It's Kanto not Kansai.

Anyway, I'll be working in Shinagawa and living in Meguro, so I'm looking for something in that area.
Ask at the local Kuyakusho. Call the Budokan. I'm sure some members here will have dojo recommendations.

Also, I speak Japanese fluently
Wow - congratulations. I've been at it for more than 20 years but no where near fluent. :)

Eric Spinelli
2nd March 2007, 02:08
There is a machi-dojo (目黒区中央体育館 ) in Meguro that has (quite long) open hours for iai practice. While the instructors are all MSR there is at least one MJER practictioner with whom I could put you in touch. I can't speak on her qualifications, willingness, or ability to teach, but its a start.

The kendo dojo at the taikukan, at least in the past, was quite reknowned and there are many qualified teachers in other arts, including a SMR Menkyo Kaiden. If that doesn't interest you, perhaps people there could point you in the right direction.

Other than that, I don't know. We practice MJER in Adachi-ku, but perhaps that's a bit farther than you're looking for. Mr. Renfield will likely be along soon with information about Mugai-ryu, although you might try PM'ing him for faster results. I hear they practice all over Tokyo.

Sincerely,

tatsutahime
2nd March 2007, 15:12
Wow, that's just around the corner! I'll definitely look into it. :)

Adam Westphal
2nd March 2007, 23:40
Kuro-Hitsuji is a good mutton place in Nakameguro. Not a dojo but worth checking out. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

tatsutahime
18th June 2007, 14:41
Just wanted to say thanks to those who replied in helping me find a place to practice in Tokyo. Following a few leads, I finally found a small but promising dojo in the southwestern Tokyo area (Takeda ryu).

For anyone else in the Shinagawa area and looking for an iaido dojo, the website is here: http://shinagawa.sobukan.net/contents/iai.html

I did a taiken today, and will be practicing twice a week starting next Tuesday, yay! :)

Chidokan
18th June 2007, 17:44
I nearly got my hopes up there Eric.... I thought I would have a fluent translator for my next visit...oh well, never mind... :rolleyes:

Eric Spinelli
18th June 2007, 18:00
Delete... supposed to be a PM...