PDA

View Full Version : Good will gesture

toejoe2k
1st March 2007, 18:42
Greetings,
I am in need of some expert advise from the well qualified viewers of this forum.

Background:
I plan on having a pre-grand opening demonstration in the small community where I will be opening a dojo in the near future.

What I was considering is inviting the other two gentlemen who run M.A. schools (taekwondo) in that town to do demonstrations at my little event.
I had a very good economics professor who spoke highly of the benefits of competition to the over-all market.

Now, my business partner (read: Wife) is advising against inviting them to the demonstration.

My question is: Would you invite competitors to participate in such an event or would you elect not to? Why or why not?

As always, all who reply gain my deepest gratitude.

Bob Blackburn
1st March 2007, 19:13
No. Why would you want to advertise for them? People only have a limited time to check out your dojo. You don't want them walking away before you even talk to them.

Don't put down another dojo if they ask what the difference is. Explain your dojo and style and how you can help them reach their goals.

Douglas Wylie
1st March 2007, 20:26
I had a very good economics professor who spoke highly of the benefits of competition to the over-all market.

Without having to teach a course in economics to you, the quick and dirty is...

A possible/probable example of what might be good for the overall market is- your dojo exiting the market.

Your wife sounds like she is pretty savvy, you might want to defer to her judgement.

I can only guess about you and your motives but here is what I'm thinking (no offence meant or implied)

I'm guessing that you are holding the demo to basically advertise that your dojo will be opening soon, in the hopes of getting some students.

If I'm correct, why do you want to let your advertising budget (ie your hard work) be spent so other places can get some free advertising? Now, if the other places are willing to HELP with the expense and effort of putting on a demo, that may be different.

In my mind, you are the focus of the event, dont lose focus! ;)

MikeWilliams
2nd March 2007, 12:31
Just to echo what others have said - don't invite them!

The only way it might be justified is if:
a) you are 100% sure you won't be competing for the same pool of students (e.g. they only teach adults, you only teach kids), and
b) you have already agreed some kind of quid pro quo whereby you will be getting at least equal exposure at their clubs, or
c) you teach different arts at different times, but share dojo space - in which case they could be invited to attend, but not to demonstrate.

You are in a small community with two existing MA schools - you will be fighting tooth and nail for every student anyway, don't give your competitors an opportunity to undo your hard work!

By all means try and maintain cordial relationships with them - friendly rivalry is far better than unfriendly rivalry - but for now focus on yourself and your dojo and (most of all) your prospective clientele.

toejoe2k
2nd March 2007, 13:12
That settles it, then. I've been privvy to the wisdom of a great many and one of the most wise told me that the smartest person in the room is everyone. This being a very important decision, I sincerely appreciate the council of each of you.

As to the question of my motives, I stated that it was my intention to create an environment of good will. That way I can invite those other schools to compete in local tournaments and have them respond positively. None the less, I understand that business is business and, if not treated like a busines, this dojo may not be in operation long.

Again, my sincerest thanks to all who have applied.

~Billy Richardson

jdostie
2nd March 2007, 20:06
The question of competition helping one another can work both for and against you.

Consider the car dealership: There is great value in opening a car dealership in "auto row" because it will increase your traffic. You may well capture business from customers who had originally been going to "the other dealership." Of course, it works the other way as well, doesn't it, customer looks at your cars, then looks at theirs . . . So the benifit to being on auto row is pretty-much even, and benificial to all parties if you are equal on all other levels - clean environment, selection of cars, etc.

Similarly, if you have an established dojo and are capable of carrying your own demo, you may be in good shape to have a demonstration where you invite other arts. In effect you will cross promote for one another. Remember, what attracts one potential student may be the very thing that puts another off (I didn't want to take tae kwon do for instance because I could not imagine performing all those high kicks).

I'd recommend that - as a gesture of good will - you go meet the "masters" of the respective dojos and build a rapport with them. They may be willing to refer people to you, and you to them, if they are not right for your respective systems. Then, once you've become more established you may consider doing something else.

edit - this from someone who may not understand the 'dojo etiquette' that applies here, speaking only from a business point of view.

Kayden
2nd March 2007, 21:46
Invite them to the pre grand opening as audiance. Thank the other intructors for coming to see what you have to offer and state that you hope at some point in the future you can get together to cross train your students and introduce your stlyes to one another.

Or if you want to be greedy as all hell (I advise agaist it) invite just the students of the other dojos and show them what they are missing.

I would encourage the good will aspect, give their dojos a free nod at your gala, then focus on what you teach and why you think people would benefit comeing to your school.

Definatly like the future turny idea.

Good luck