PDA

View Full Version : Taisai protocol?

Jeremyf
14th March 2007, 06:47
Hello, it looks like I might have a chance to be in the Iwama area during taisai (sp?). Has anyone been there for the festival, and if so, would be willing to take pity on me and provide a description and possibly some tips as far as protocol? For instance would a Aikikai registration card be required? I saw on one website something about registration and gifts? What would be appropriate? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Also I hope that I'm posting this question in the correct manner. If not please let me know! :)

szczepan
17th March 2007, 02:01
Hello, it looks like I might have a chance to be in the Iwama area during taisai (sp?). Has anyone been there for the festival, and if so, would be willing to take pity on me and provide a description and possibly some tips as far as protocol? For instance would a Aikikai registration card be required? I saw on one website something about registration and gifts? What would be appropriate? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Also I hope that I'm posting this question in the correct manner. If not please let me know! :)
Yes to be able to practice in Old Iwama dojo you must be current member Aikikai, take with you yudansha card. Also you will have to pay some fee, I don't remember how much exactly.

If you are there first time it will bw VERY difficult to find a way to the dojo. No english inscriptions at all. No street names. Nobody speak english. And walk to the dojo takes more then 30 minutes. We had extraordinary chance to meet at the train station very sympatic american girl who travel regulary from Tokyo to practice there.We walked together. Otherwise.....oooppsss....Our way back took us more then 1 hour as we lost direction few times....

Jeremyf
18th March 2007, 07:43
Thank you for the reply Szczepan. Were you there for the festival, or did you go to practice? It looked to me like there was a ceremony in rememberence of O-Sensei that usually includes a demonstration (sometimes by Doshu). As far as directions, my wife (Japanese) will be with me so that shouldn't be as much of a problem :). Thanks again for the information though. Perhaps it's not appropriate to go at all for Taisai? Cheers and I appreciate any help....

Chris Li
19th March 2007, 05:38
Thank you for the reply Szczepan. Were you there for the festival, or did you go to practice? It looked to me like there was a ceremony in rememberence of O-Sensei that usually includes a demonstration (sometimes by Doshu). As far as directions, my wife (Japanese) will be with me so that shouldn't be as much of a problem :). Thanks again for the information though. Perhaps it's not appropriate to go at all for Taisai? Cheers and I appreciate any help....

The last time I went to the Taisai was just before the elder Saito passed away, so it may have changed, but there was never any Aikikai card requirement that I could see, people walk in and out all the time. Same for practice, although that may be different now. The current fees are posted on http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/index.htm

FWIW, I lived and practiced at plenty of dojo in Japan over a number of years and never once took out my Aikikai card.

Anyway, taxi drivers usually know the way.

Best,

Chris

Jeremyf
19th March 2007, 07:19
Thanks Chris, I'm probably worrying too much, but since I've not had the chance to visit a dojo in Japan I'm always a bit worried about reflecting badly on my teacher and dojo. He's given me advice, but as they say, the devil is in the details. Any more info is always appreciated. As a side note, has anyone had the opportunity of training in Motomiya or Koriyama, Fukushima-ken? Cheers, and thanks again to everyone....