PDA

View Full Version : Show me yours:)

paul browne
15th March 2007, 15:35
Gassho,
If you were asked to show (not teach, which would bring down the curse of Kimpatsu upon you and your future generations:)) two techniques that best illustrated the technical side of Shorinji Kempo what would they be?

One Goho, One Juho or a combination technique.
No special reason for asking. Just spent nine hours glued to this machine at work bored stiff and decided to entertain myself instead:)
Kesshu
Paul

Rob Gassin
16th March 2007, 00:23
Goho - Kaishin Zuki - shows well the SK principle of Dodge - Block - Counter.

Juho - Gyaku Gote - It demonstrates well the SK principles of Atemi - Shuho - breaking balance and Gatame and most importantly, it is likely to work on the first attempt :) .

Ewok
16th March 2007, 01:03
Goho - Kaishin Zuki - shows well the SK principle of Dodge - Block - Counter.

Juho - Gyaku Gote - It demonstrates well the SK principles of Atemi - Shuho - breaking balance and Gatame and most importantly, it is likely to work on the first attempt :) .

Thinking the exact same, but was stuck between something like tsubamegaeshi (more or less the same as kaishin - uses kyo-jitsu with the kamae), or keritensan (as it has a kick as well :p).

JL.
16th March 2007, 08:01
Gassho!

Two techniques make it tempting to go for one Juho and Goho each. But in general I'd go for a combination technique because I think it's even more impressive to go from a punch attack to a throw. Therefore I nominate Uwa Uke Nage (not too difficult, either). My second choice would then probably be something that demonstrates another aspect entirely. Like Ushiro Ryusui Geri or Harai Uke Geri.

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

Richard Codling
16th March 2007, 13:00
This thread kinda reminds me of being at a demo and thinking 'Right, I've got X minutes to get these people interested, what do I show them?', where generally X < 10.

I'd definately agree with gyaku gote for the juho technique (something tells me that Rob was tempted to say okuri gote, as was I, and had the same reason for changing his mind - it's *&(&%$*& hard!).

As for the goho, I'm not sure. Goka ken (uwa uke nage or similar, as mentiuoned by Jan shows off nicely the goju ittai element of our training but then again, a tenno ken technique such as keri ten san would show the beautiful fluididty of our goho. If done properly of course :D

Byakuren ken would also be a good option for the latter with the added advantage that the 'get your head out of the way first' idea is (hopefully) fairly obvious, followed by a fluid renhanko.

Or, we could get Tony Leith to come along and kick someone (not me, I've had my turn) in suigetsu thus illustrating the effectiveness of kyusho.

Anyway, back to work, cheers for the distraction Paul!

Rob Gassin
16th March 2007, 13:36
[QUOTE=Richard Codling] I'd definately agree with gyaku gote for the juho technique (something tells me that Rob was tempted to say okuri gote, as was I, and had the same reason for changing his mind - it's *&(&%$*& hard!).
[QUOTE].

Mind you, if you get an experienced martial artist down with okuri gote and he lands on his back & buttocks and spins,he'll be extremely impressed.

Uwa Uke Nage is a nice technique. However, there are 2 negatives.
1. an overhead uraken uchi is an unrealistic attack
2. when performed by most kenshi, there is a short pause between atemi and the attacker's wrist being grabbed. To most experienced martial artists this looks unrealistic. When demonstrating this technique to non-kenshis, I bypass the atemi to make it more flowing.

If I want to demonstrate an attractive looking technique then mawashi geri sambo uke nami gaeshi has no peer.

stevenm
16th March 2007, 16:21
I attended a seminar with Mori Sensei in London many years ago.

He stated that if you are technically proficient in mei uchi and kinteki geri, then all the other Shorinji Kempo techniques are just a sales pitch.

I can still see the grin on his face as he said it.

judepeel
16th March 2007, 18:20
shita uke geri kote nage and kinteki geri hiza uke nami gaeshi.

I was tempted to say tsubame gaeshi and gyaku gote but kote nage looks flashier and I just like kinteki geri it's short and to the point ;o)

paul browne
16th March 2007, 19:55
Hi
S,pose I could give my thoughts now:)
All the above were good.
I have always thought I'd use Tsubame Gaeshi or Chidori Gaeshi for goho.
Tsubame Gaeshi (my favourite technique) is obviously different to other Martial arts so gives a Shorinji Kempo flavour. If done with kogeki wearing armour you can get a nice 'rat-tat-tat' effect as you drive them backwards.:)
Chidori Gaeshi (which i'd do against jun zuki rather than sashikae jun zuki as it looks more natural to outsiders) means you can do a nice decisive finish to the technique if you take them down backwards with the kari ashi followed by fumi geri.

If you've ever seen me kick you'll know why I wouldn't choose a keri waza, quite hard but not pretty!!

For juho i'd choose a DOGI (yes KimpatsuI defy your curses!!!) grabbing technique, again they look more natural than wrist grabs to outsiders, either maki otoshi or sode maki gaeshi. These look quite dramatic and i can carry them off on a good day with the wind behind me.

Rob, if you can do a decent mawashi geri sanbo uke nami gaeshi I hate you (can't find a seething icon!!)
Years ago at a gasshuko at hombu we were practicing techniques under Yamazaki sensei. The patern for training was demonstration, practice,fine points corrected, more practice, polish, more practise, next technique.
For dan geri sanbo uke nami gaeshi dan geri it was Demonstration, practice,next technique. Either we had id down perfectly first go or he recognised a lost cause when he saw one:).

Still interested in other peoples suggestions.

Paul

Steve Williams
16th March 2007, 21:23
I'm with Paul on the Tsubame gaeshi........

But really its got to be Osae Kannuki nage.....

Paul, no seething icon, but there is :cry: or :nw: or even :mad:

Rob Gassin
17th March 2007, 04:58
Rob, if you can do a decent mawashi geri sanbo uke nami gaeshi I hate you (can't find a seething icon!!)

Did one against a Hapkido colleague of mine a few months ago. We were studying defences against jodan mawashi geri. I did the technique and landed the jun geri on his inner upper thigh just after his mawashi geri had contacted my arms. He was most impressed but did not want me to try it again - as he does not have any kids yet :) .

Cheers