PDA

View Full Version : Oki Adventures

JS3
20th March 2007, 15:09
Greetings,
Does anyone know the status of Oki Adventures.
I wanted to order a set of sai but there site seems to no longer exist.

Any information would be greatful.

Thanks

guitarpalooz
30th March 2007, 17:24
I would also very much like to know what happened to this company and where it moved

ryukyu2000
31st March 2007, 15:26
Glenard Grabow Sensei is the owner of Okinawan Adventures and if I recall correctly, he lives(ed) in Jamestown New York.

Andy Morris
Delmar, New York USA

guitarpalooz
1st April 2007, 20:31
any idea how we might get in touch with him now that the website seems to be no more?

Nobody
29th April 2008, 23:13
I have previously ordered some gear from Mr. Grabow, and had downloaded his online catalog, so early this month I attempted to call the phone number previously listed on the website but got no reply. I then wrote a letter to the address on his web catalog, and Mr. Grabow sent me a reply and a phone number. I spoke to Mr. Grabow last Friday or Saturday evening, and got his permission to post this information so everyone will know what is going on.

Mr. Grabow is still making the weapons and the videos, but Okinawan Adventures no longer exists as a legal business entity, therefore, he shut down the website and his business bank account. Going forward payments are only accepted in the form of USPS money order made payable to Glenard Grabow. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT make the money order payable to Okinawan Adventures, or it will be returned to you. If you want a list of the videos send me a PM and I will send it to you. Mr. Grabow is currently making the following items:

Videos - $30 each plus $3 shipping

San-saki-ken (three point fist - techu) - $25 a pair plus $3 shipping

Bo, 6', red oak or hickory - $35 plus $10 shipping

Ekubo - $75 plus $12 shipping

Tonfa, maple - $75 a pair plus $10 shipping

Sai - pair - $250 plus $12 shipping
set of three - $375 plus $24 shipping
single sai - $125 plus $12 shipping

Measurements for sai:
The distance between the web of your thumb and index finger to the tip of your index finger, and the distance from the tip of your extended index finger to the point of your elbow

Measurements for tonfa:
Put a new no. 2 pencil with the eraser in the palm of your hand and the unsharpened tip portruding from between your second and ring fingers, then measure from the top of your closed fist to the bottom of your closed fist. This is the length of the handle minus the pommel. Then measure from the unsharpened tip of the extended pencil to the point of your elbow. This is the length of the shaft. Mr. Grabow only makes the square tonfa.

I have ordered gear from Mr. Grabow more than once, and delivery time is six weeks from the time you mail in your order. I don't know how he manages that, but it always takes almost exactly six weeks, so you are warned. I would recommend ordering or requesting information by mail, as Mr. Grabow has gotten extremely hard of hearing (by his own admission). He can be contacted as follows:

Glenard A. Grabow
60 Pershing Ave.
Jamestown, NY 14701
Telephone: 1-716-484-7792

I have ordered a pair of sai, an ekubo , a pair of san-saki ken, and one of his videos, and have been extremely satisfied with all of his products.

JS3
1st May 2008, 00:55
Michael,
Thanks for posting that info.

I wonder if you would be able to post some pictures of his weapons.
I am very much interested in ordering a set of sai.

Thanks

Nobody
1st May 2008, 21:31
Michael,
Thanks for posting that info.

I wonder if you would be able to post some pictures of his weapons.
I am very much interested in ordering a set of sai.

Thanks

I would be happy to do that, but unfortunately I don't have internet access at home and that is where all of my pictures are. The sai are natural iron with a natural black coating. The pommel comes to a shallow point. You can request white or black string wrapping on the handles. I did order black string on my handles, but it kept moving on me when I was practicing, so I just took the string off and train with no wrapping on the handles. I've never had a problem with keeping a grip (or at least no difficulty on which I could blame the lack of string on the handles). The prongs flare in then slightly out at the tips. I ordered my pair several years ago, and it is my intention at some point to order a single sai to make a set of three. I hope this helps. Any more questions, let me know.

JS3
2nd May 2008, 00:53
Michael,
No worries.

I have seen a pic of the sai when the site was up,
but was not able to get any closeups.

Thanks

Nobody
7th March 2009, 17:45
I mentioned previously of the weapons that Mr. Grabow is still making. I saved up some money and sent him $137.00 for a single sai to match the pair that I already bought from him. Unfortunately, he sent me the money order back. It seems that the blacksmith whom he had previously had making the sai for him has now retired. Going forward, he will not be able to fill any orders for sai. It's too bad, because I really like the pair that I have and practice with them every week. Just wanted to keep everyone up to date.