PDA

View Full Version : Koryu information resources

Jim Wilson
3rd November 2002, 15:30
Good Friends:

I just wanted to say thanks for the koryu.com site. The presentation is very clear and the issues raised are articulately presented. I found it very helpful.

Many of the issues raised there, such as the relationship between the teacher and the student, and the purpose of training, I have seen raised in the context of eastern spiritual forms being brought to the west. I think the problem, or at least an aspect of the problem is that westerners have the strong feeling that any form of spirituality should be automatically accessible to all; it's a kind of democratic presumption that, I think, is very strong in our culture. Since budo is often comprehended as a spiritual path, or a path with spiritual implications, I think this view, often held unconsciously, impinges on how people react to paths such a koryu.

I have found it helpful to make some ordinary comparisons. For example, in the field of mathematics people seem to be able to comprehend that the "path" of mathematics requires dedication, and also a good teacher. It is clear that not everyone is equally a mathematician.

Or take the path of musicianship. Here I think that people generally understand that to become a musician takes dedication, discipline, steady practice, and the guidance of good teachers in order for musicianship to blossom.

However, when it comes to spirituality, I think people feel differently. This happens because in most cases spiritual institutions are "open", generally accessible. Anyone can join, for example, a church without much trouble. In many instances churches advertise that simply joining has many benefits.

In terms of martial arts, I think there is some of the same expectation. Anyone can join a dojo, so there is the same accessibility. Mathematicians do not advertise for people to become their students; they are available for those seriously interested, but most people are not, and there is no expectation that the "path" of mathematics is for everyone. But I think there is an underlying subtext that something like martial arts (or Zen, or Taoism, etc.) should be accessible and available for all.

These are just a few thoughts.

Once again, thanks for the site.

Best wishes,

Jim Wilson

Soulend
3rd November 2002, 15:49
Yes, it's an excellent site. I'm not sure how often Meik or Diane frequent E-Budo anymore, so perhaps you should e-mail them directly? Most of the people here have nothing to do with koryu.com, other then eagerly buying their excellent books :D

Diane Skoss
10th June 2005, 17:12
Hi all!

Believe it or not, I've got an update posted at Koryu.com.

http://koryu.com/new.html

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Blackwood
10th June 2005, 18:10
Thanks for posting the link, Diane! I enjoyed the article on Inyogyo, nicely done, informative without a lot of detail and humorous to boot!

I've added it to my bookmarks!

swordsaint
28th November 2005, 21:37
Hi there,

Would it be possible if anyone knows of any truly great books on the subject of samurai's (practices/beliefs etc.) to let me know.

I have some already but, would love to know if I'm missing any classics.

Many thanks and be well,

James.

GTO
28th November 2005, 23:14
Please sign your full name to your posts.

It might be helpful if you told us which books you've already got, so as to avoid redundant recommendations... :P

Eric Spinelli
7th February 2006, 16:12
Though most internet users are most familiar with Wikipedia, it is only one of many online, user-based information sites. Everything2 (www.everything2.com) is similar, though it also provides a place to submit editorials, fiction, and other literary functions beyond that of an encyclopedia.

I have recently noded a few articles on various koryu as I see them. I am an engineer and physicist by training, not a historian or writer. I am also very new to both gendai and koryu arts. My knowledge and that which I have tried to transmit through my nodes comes from my desire to learn about these arts myself with sources ranging from books, these forums and similar, and Google searches.

I am posting the links to the articles I have written not because the information is new or an authority, but rather because it would help future readers to have informed and interested parties help me sort out some of the information and make corrections and/or suggestions.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1223826&orderby=createtime%20DESC&usersearch=spin13&lastnode_id=1467501

The above link will take you to the master list of all my nodes. As some of these 'node shells' will present multiple articles with the same title, mine are the submissions authored by 'spin13.' Any help is appreciated, either through contact here at e-budo (public or private) or to my email. Thanks!

t.matsutaka
7th February 2006, 20:39
A very S-L-O-W loading site.

paradoxbox
11th February 2006, 01:11
loads fine for me.

George Kohler
26th September 2006, 03:48
Looks like there is going to be a great book coming out soon. http://www.koryu.com/new.html

sven beulke
26th September 2006, 11:01
Hi All!
Any clue who this Shihan is? By the way i just ordered Dave Lowrys new Book, "In the Dojo". Check out the review by Diana Skoss and there is also a teaser on koryu.com! Very promising! :)
Best

cxt
26th September 2006, 15:08
George

Thanks for the "heads up." :)

morpheus
26th September 2006, 15:30
Maybe Otake Risuke of TSKSR!

Jeff

sven beulke
2nd October 2006, 15:04
Hi Jeff!
No , i dont think so.
"I will say that the book is by the master shihan of one of the oldest and most respected of the Japanese martial traditions. "
Diana wrotes "Shihan", sound like TSKSR but what about Seki Humitake of the Kashima Shinryu? More candidates?
best
Sven

Fred27
5th October 2006, 11:43
I put in an order meself..Cant wait :)

George Kohler
17th November 2006, 17:30
There has been another update at koryu.com.

http://koryu.com/new.html

Mark Murray
17th November 2006, 18:15
Thanks for the heads-up George!

And AUGH! I so wanted to put that book on the Christmas list.

Mark

DDATFUS
17th November 2006, 18:48
"Koryu Books has done the martial arts world yet another great service by rejuvenating this quintessential publication..."--Alex Bennet, Editor Kendo World
(emphasis mine)

hmmm.... this is an interesting clue. So, what books by well-known shihan are already out there that the Skosses might be revamping? New edition of The Deity and the Sword, perhaps? That's the only guess I can come up with. It would certainly be about time, given how hard it is to find copies of it these days.

Ian Drew
20th November 2006, 23:34
When I first read the Koryu com update my first thought was also a reprint of the Deity and the Sword, however a handsome French edition of the 3 volumes has been available from BudoEditions for some time.

TSKSR is a small school that got a lot of publicity from its connection with D Draeger, Otake has stated in print a number of times that to learn TSKSR basically involves you going to Japan and living there for many years, and you would like be turned down a few times just to check your level of commitment.

Otake and the headmaster of the school have never seemed to wish the school to take off, since without close attention from the shihan the techniques will be diluted.

The late Sugino's version of TSKSR is another story. Can't see why a series of books that where used by some to promote somrthing they never had a chance to train in would be republished by Koryu com who seem to be a quiding light in keeping it as it is.

regards

Ian Drew

DDATFUS
21st November 2006, 01:37
When I first read the Koryu com update my first thought was also a reprint of the Deity and the Sword, however a handsome French edition of the 3 volumes has been available from BudoEditions for some time.

yeah.... it's just that the french edition doesn't do me a lot of good, given that I don't really read french....

TSKSR is a small school that got a lot of publicity from its connection with D Draeger, Otake has stated in print a number of times that to learn TSKSR basically involves you going to Japan and living there for many years, and you would like be turned down a few times just to check your level of commitment.

Otake and the headmaster of the school have never seemed to wish the school to take off, since without close attention from the shihan the techniques will be diluted.

The late Sugino's version of TSKSR is another story. Can't see why a series of books that where used by some to promote somrthing they never had a chance to train in would be republished by Koryu com who seem to be a quiding light in keeping it as it is.

very good points... actually, if you read Miek Skoss's book reviews on koryu.com, I think that he actually implies that you shouldn't bother with The Deity and the Sword unless you are a member of TSKSR. Still, even with that said, that's just about the only book in English that I know of that meets the qualifications of
1) having been written by a senior shihan of a koryu
2) having already been in print (use of the word "rejuvenating," etc.)

I'm probably wrong-- for the reasons that you mentioned-- but I still can't come up with a better guess. And naturally, I don't have anything better to do with my life than to sit, and to speculate, and to offer inane guesses, until the truth is revealed.

Rennis
23rd November 2006, 14:03
I could be completely off track here, but there is another out of print, hard to find, much sought after book that "sticks" out in my mind.

allan
24th November 2006, 00:14
I could be completely off track here, but there is another out of print, hard to find, much sought after book that "sticks" out in my mind.

Nice one Rennis. The humour is good.

BTW, your signature line seems to be missing. Lots of people know who you are but you know how it goes...!

Best,
Al

Rennis
24th November 2006, 01:53
Ah sorry, my mistake there. For some reason I can't get into the user CP at the moment, but for the record..

Rennis Buchner

Steve Delaney
24th November 2006, 02:25
Hey Rennis,

Good to hear you're still in Akita.

I have the same problem - I can't access my user CP neither.

Anders Pettersson
24th November 2006, 15:57
Ah sorry, my mistake there. For some reason I can't get into the user CP at the moment, but for the record..

I have the same problem - I can't access my user CP neither.

There is a problem with the forum concerning this, use the direct links in this post (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=424874&postcount=5) and you can access what you need in the User CP.

/Anders

Tony Peters
10th December 2006, 18:21

Sticks...ummm that would be very nice considering that there really isn't an english edition of any stick book

Richie112
21st February 2007, 18:20
it's now February..... the suspense has almost given me stomach ulcers... what is the book?? When will it appear? Mrs Skoss put us out of our misery or give us some more less cryptic clues!!!

DDATFUS
21st February 2007, 20:01
Dear Filthy Sadists at Koryu.com,

When will you stop tormenting us with vague hints and publish the book?

All Love,
David

Richie112
21st February 2007, 20:43

My ulcer nearly burst in the laughter..... are you trying to kill me?? :)

K. Cantwell
22nd February 2007, 01:40

When will you stop tormenting us with vague hints and publish the book?

Diane, unfortunatley, has the heavy burden of being in the Bahamas until Monday doing some jo training, so your protestations will simply fall on well-tanned deaf ears until then.

I won't see her until next Wednesday's training, but I'll tell her that you guys are bursting at the seams and see if she would be willing to ease your pain a bit. (That is, if she hasn't seen this thread by then.)

Oh, and by the way, the book is going to be killer.

(Get it? Martial arts book being "killer"....that's high class waza right there.)

Kevin Cantwell

Diane Skoss
22nd February 2007, 17:18
They do have Internet access in the Bahamas, and I'm in between training sessions, so.....

Book is progressing and should go to the printer next month. There have been so many unexpected twists and turns in its progress, though, I am still reluctant to get more specific. Give me a couple more weeks....

Oh, and there are people on this thread who have guessed correctly.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

morpheus
22nd February 2007, 18:59
So if I have read through the thread correctly we are looking at these possibilities:

1. Deity and the Sword by Otake
2. TSKSR book by Sugino
3. Kashima Shin ryu book by Seki Humitake
4. Jodo Kyohan
5. Jodo by Krieger

Does that look about right?

Jeff

sven beulke
22nd February 2007, 19:40
Hi!
That Kriegers "The way of the stick" will be published at koryu-books is not impossible but i highly doubt it. A friend of mine has one of the last copys sold of this exellent book! He buyed at a seminar with Pascal Krieger and as a little extra there is a original calligraphy and a didication in it! My friend told me that there are plans for a completly new book (when Mr. Krieger retires!) because some parts of the old book are (slightly) outdated now. By the way if anyone of you has the chance to buy a copy of the film by Pascal Krieger " One or two things i now about budo" get it! Its very good and very entertaining! There´s even a old film in it with Donn Draeger performing a okuden kata of TSKSR Tachiai!
TSKSR book by Sugino! Naaa! My teacher is working on the authorized german translation. I know nothing of a english translation. A 99% No!
Best

DDATFUS
22nd February 2007, 20:25
Oh, and by the way, the book is going to be killer.

(Get it? Martial arts book being "killer"....that's high class waza right there.)

har. har. har.

Book is progressing and should go to the printer next month.

Thanks for the update... I now provisionally retract the word "filthy," with further retractions possible pending further updates ;)

paolo_italy
16th March 2007, 23:39
guys check the news at www.koryu.com! :D

K. Cantwell
16th March 2007, 23:47
har. har. har.

I told you it would be killer, smarty pants.

Kevin Cantwell

DDATFUS
16th March 2007, 23:57
Kevin, while the book certainly appears awesome, and I am thrilled to receive this news, it still isn't enough to make your pun funny ;)

17th March 2007, 09:13
Killer, great! :)

George Kohler
19th March 2007, 11:51
Just came back from training this weekend and saw the e-mail. Wow, it is going to be a great book.

riko seishin
25th March 2007, 05:11
Well its official:

http://www.koryubooks.com/new.html

Kal Akodo
1st April 2007, 20:46
I've been researching koryu for quite sometime now. I've been searching espically for Maniwa Nen-Ryu, Shingyoto-Ryu and Tatsumi-Ryu. I've done what I can through the few English books I can find and googling different combinations of the ryu's name, prefecture and systems. Anything anyone is willing to offer me is much appreciated.

Jordan Lavin.

Daniel Lee
2nd April 2007, 01:35
If you can read Japanese, Tomoyuki Yokose's Nihon no Kobudo, or Gakken's Nihon no Kenjutsu 1 & 2 are fairly accessible. Since the writers of these books aren't practitioners of the schools they write about there are some mistakes in their writing, but do offer a glimpse into Nen-ryu, Shingyoto-ryu and Tatsumi-ryu.

Kal Akodo
2nd April 2007, 02:58
My Japanese lacks to say the least.

Steve Delaney
2nd April 2007, 03:09
I've been researching koryu for quite sometime now. I've been searching espically for Maniwa Nen-Ryu, Shingyoto-Ryu and Tatsumi-Ryu. I've done what I can through the few English books I can find and googling different combinations of the ryu's name, prefecture and systems. Anything anyone is willing to offer me is much appreciated.

Jordan Lavin.

You will not find these schools in the United States. There are simply no branch dojo out there.

There are however shibu dojo for Tatsumi-ryu in Australia and France.

DDATFUS
2nd April 2007, 03:35
Liam Keeley, who teaches Tatsumi Ryu in Australia, maintains an excellent website that you might find interesting:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/koryu/tatsumi.html

There is a Japanese-language website for Tatsumi Ryu, though I don't have it bookmarked on this computer.

Mr. Keeley also wrote an article on the tojutsu of Tatsumi Ryu for one of the Koryu Bujutsu books; I think it is in volume 3. Volume 1 of that series contains an interview with the former headmaster of Tatsumi Ryu.

There is a great chapter on Nen Ryu in Ellis Amdur's book Old School. I highly recommend that you read it if you are interested in the school.

The only Shingyoto Ryu information that I have to offer is that there is at least one video clip on youtube, posted by Russ Ebert.

Kal Akodo
3rd April 2007, 01:52
Thank you I will be sure to look into those books. It is hard to investigate Koryu in America and with my weak Japanese.

Tenseiga
3rd April 2007, 10:41
If you have the money...

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=307

The Nihon Kobudo Series are awesome! I actually forked the money over for a few of them myself, and I don't regret it...nope, not one bit...even if I nearly spent $500 on my current collection...no sir...heheh...heh... :cry:

Good luck!

Baio
4th April 2007, 22:49
http://www.geocities.jp/bbkasimu/tatu/tatumi.htm tatsumi ryu homepage

tatsumi ryu shurikenjutsu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxmqOl0xa4
http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/images/tatsumi_ryu_blade.jpg

kaji
5th April 2007, 18:03
There is a shibu dojo in Andorra (AAKEN - Associació Andorrana de Kendo) managed by Miquel Morancho sensei, Mokuroku Tatsumi ryu Heiho.
Morancho sensei teaches Tatsumi both in Andorra and Spain where there are established several groups.
http://www.kendo-andorra.org/aaken/Index.htm
kaji
www.seibukan.es

DDATFUS
19th April 2007, 14:23
For those of you who don't get the email updates, Mrs. Skoss has now uploaded images of the dustjackets and table of contents for her new book.

In related news, I now have drool all over my keyboard.

Fred27
19th April 2007, 20:10
Father christmas will come early this year..yum! :D

DDATFUS
27th April 2007, 06:23
They're taking orders! *giggles with excitement*

Joshua Lerner
27th April 2007, 06:41
A note to all who are considering buying the book - it will also be available through Barnes and Noble, but please order directly from Diane. Koryu.com makes more from direct orders than they do through B&N, and we need to support our Budo Businesses!

Josh

Diane Skoss
27th April 2007, 17:30
Thanks, Josh!

In addition to the reason Josh cited, you'll also be sure to get your book much more quickly if you purchase direct from Koryu Books. Also, Otake Sensei benefits more if you buy from us.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss
Koryu.com

jest
1st May 2007, 11:37
When I asked my instructor whether I could have his original Deity and the Sword books (which he got for free!) after he bought the new book, all he did was laugh!

Flintstone
1st May 2007, 13:18
When I asked my instructor whether I could have his original Deity and the Sword books (which he got for free!) after he bought the new book, all he did was laugh!
What do you mean here? Deity and the Sword are better reference? I read somewhere that the new book contained all the material in Deity and the Sword. Am I wrong?

Regards.

K. Cantwell
3rd May 2007, 02:13
Guess what made a surprise appearance at the dojo today?

No, not my hiki-otoshi or sense of ma-ai. (Those itinerant jackanapes don't even call anymore.)

Yes....you guessed it.... (probably from the title of this thread...no putting anything past you guys)....an advance copy of THE BOOK.

We drooled on it for about ten minutes before Diane tore it from our clutches and laughed at our pleas for just a few more seconds. "The truck rolls in next week, rabble," was the only solace we received. She then proceeded to beat on us with a stick!! Can you believe that?

In all seriousness, the book looks great. The pictures are top-notch, and the text is quite user-friendly. It's definitely got some weight to it and is well put-together. (Seems like a nerdy thing to say, but I had several books that needed triage from a simple read-through and it drives me nuts. Not going to happen with this one.)

Diane really did say that the truck is due next week (the “rabble” was poetic license on my part), so the schedule is still on track.

If your copy does wind up having some drool on it…well….I apologize.

Kevin Cantwell

Joshua Lerner
3rd May 2007, 03:58
What do you mean here? Deity and the Sword are better reference? I read somewhere that the new book contained all the material in Deity and the Sword. Am I wrong?

Regards.

Definitely not wrong - the new book contains all the old information, plus more. Though hopefully not Kevin's drool.

Josh

Brian Owens
3rd May 2007, 04:37
What do you mean here? Deity and the Sword are better reference? I read somewhere that the new book contained all the material in Deity and the Sword.
My New International Version Bible has substantially the same material in the 1455 Gutenberg Bible, yet I doubt I could convince any museums to trade mine for theirs.

I suspect the same issue is at work here: there is a collectable and/or sentimental aspect to the original version that a new version can't repace.

Brian Owens
3rd May 2007, 04:41
Definitely not wrong - the new book contains all the old information, plus more. Though hopefully not Kevin's drool.
I'll do a compete review and comparison when my copy arrives. (Hopefully in a few weeks?)

If there's any drool on it or the accompanying volumes I'll be sending them back!

Diane Skoss
3rd May 2007, 11:25
I promise that we will not be shipping any drool.

Brian Owens
3rd May 2007, 12:26
Well, that's a relief. I was really worried for a minute there. ;)

jest
8th May 2007, 12:51
My New International Version Bible has substantially the same material in the 1455 Gutenberg Bible, yet I doubt I could convince any museums to trade mine for theirs.

I suspect the same issue is at work here: there is a collectable and/or sentimental aspect to the original version that a new version can't repace.

You hit the nail on the head... Last I heard, the Deity and the Sword books were selling for vast sums of money.

My instructor got his copies from an elderly member of our club, who passed away last year, an Iaido practitioner who -I suppose- started buying budo books a long, long time ago.

Brian Owens
8th May 2007, 22:29
You hit the nail on the head... Last I heard, the Deity and the Sword books were selling for vast sums of money.
Yes, upwards from $500 to over a thousand in some cases. I may replace mine someday, which were water-damaged beyond restoration, but in the mean time...

I just got my e-mail confirmation from Koryu.com: my order has shipped! I'll post a review of the new book, contrasting it with the old books (I still have softcover versions) this weekend if all goes well.

Kim Taylor
9th May 2007, 02:16
Huh? So I can sell my originals for a grand?

Cool, may need to after this seminar.

Kim.

Flintstone
9th May 2007, 02:17

You're oh so right here :) . Sorry I missed the point, LOL.

Brian Owens
9th May 2007, 04:06
Huh? So I can sell my originals for a grand?
Could be.

If you have a first edition boxed set in like-new condition, send me a PM.

Kim Taylor
9th May 2007, 13:34
Could be.

If you have a first edition boxed set in like-new condition, send me a PM.

While I keep my books in pretty good condition, I never "collected" them so no boxes (if they'd had boxes I'd still have them but they didn't), and the spines of the jacket covers will likely be faded. Haven't a clue what edition they are.

Are these things really "first edition" collectables? Amazing.

I've got a pulp edition of Rocca's second world war hand to hand manual for the coast guard, complete with how to gouge an eye out with a spoon if I remember right. That's the sort of martial arts collectable book that sits on my shelves... I'd figure it was worth about three bucks to a serious collector except I think Paladin just reissued it so it's likely worth about 25 cents which is what I probably paid for it.

Not to make fun of book collecting, there's good money in it if you find the right market.

Kim.

Douglas Wylie
9th May 2007, 15:52
The Canon of Judo was going for $500 to $1000+ before they reissued it a couple of years ago. After reissue, the bottom dropped out of that market, I was lucky to get $200 for my copy.

I'd imagine the same will be true with this book.

DDATFUS
9th May 2007, 21:50
The good news: I got my copy by mail today.
The better news: It doesn't appear to have any of Kevin's disgusting drool on it. I guess that'll be on your copy, Brian :p

The bad news: I still have one more exam to take this week, and I am going to have a very hard time studying with this in the house.

Steve Delaney
9th May 2007, 23:13
Yes, upwards from $500 to over a thousand in some cases. I may replace mine someday, which were water-damaged beyond restoration, but in the mean time...

Would that be the hardback or the softcover editions?

K. Cantwell
10th May 2007, 02:39
It doesn't appear to have any of Kevin's disgusting drool on it.

Listen, buddy, that's because you don't rate. Those are the "Special Edition of the Special Editions" copies. I've been chewing gum for the past week just so they could get all the requests out on time.

Take note of the discussion above about book value and appreciation. One day the mocking will come back to bite you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's some Bubblicious with my name on it.

(Meik was also nice enough to pick me up some Saranac Caramel Porter tonight and I need to get back to that. Talk about drool.....)

Hope you enjoy the book.

Kevin Cantwell

DDATFUS
10th May 2007, 03:05
One day the mocking will come back to bite you.

as long as it doesn't get any of your saliva into the wound, the mocking can bite all it wants.

(Meik was also nice enough to pick me up some Saranac Caramel Porter tonight and I need to get back to that. Talk about drool.....)

As they say in the Red Stripe commercials, "Hooray Beer!"

Brian Owens
10th May 2007, 04:19
Would that be the hardback or the softcover editions?
My boxed hardcover editions were ruined; I have the softcover editions in my bookcase.

I have seen the boxed sets go for well over $500, and the standard hardcover sets go for more than $300.

The softcover editions are, last time I looked, around $100.

Brian Owens
11th May 2007, 11:52
...It doesn't appear to have any of Kevin's disgusting drool on it. I guess that'll be on your copy, Brian :p
Fortunately, my copy was nicely shrink-wrapped in plastic. The extra, Japanese version, dust jacket was tightly rolled and bound, and set to one side. Any drool that may have been on it was not in evidence.

(Hopefully it wasn't simply absorbed into my copies of In The Dojo or Clouds In The West, which were in the same box.)

The book itself is exactly what I had hoped for. Most of the information from the original three volumes appears to be present, but in a different -- and to me more readable -- format. For example, margin notes have replaced parenthetical insertions to define many of the Japanese terms used in the text, which lends a better flow to the prose. Also, the text descriptions that accompanied the photosequences of the kata in the originals has been left out, and the photos left to speak for themselves.

And speaking of the photos, they are new, and mostly have better grain, tonality, and clarity than the originals (a few seem too dark to me), and include shots of the waza being performed, in several cases, by armored exponents as well as those in keikogi.

New sections include brief looks at the ryu's jujutsu, shurikenjutsu, and ninjutsu, and an expanded version of the treatise on moral development.

I think this will be a valuable addition to the collections of any who are interested in the koryu traditions of Japan's martial arts and ways.

Ron Tisdale
11th May 2007, 17:09
Just got mine! Happy boy...

Thanks Meik and Diane!

Best,
Ron

DDATFUS
11th May 2007, 21:00
The extra, Japanese version, dust jacket was tightly rolled and bound, and set to one side.

Yeah, when I saw that little roll of paper at the bottom of the box, for one second I thought that they had included a complimentary densho for customers who put in early orders. Sigh.

Flintstone
11th May 2007, 23:06
Mine has just been shipped today!! I can't wait to get hold of it!

Diane Skoss
11th May 2007, 23:15
Yeah, when I saw that little roll of paper at the bottom of the box, for one second I thought that they had included a complimentary densho for customers who put in early orders. Sigh.

Every one of the dust jackets is painstakingly rolled by hand, by me (admittedly while sitting in front of the TV watching Dancing with the Stars). Not a densho, but a direct transmission--of some sort or another.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Brian Owens
11th May 2007, 23:30
No, that comes in a seperate package.

(You did remember to execute keppan and send it with your order, right?)

DDATFUS
12th May 2007, 00:43
Every one of the dust jackets is painstakingly rolled by hand, by me (admittedly while sitting in front of the TV watching Dancing with the Stars). Not a densho, but a direct transmission--of some sort or another.

Now I feel incredibly special. Now that I've touched your personally hand-rolled dustjacket, I may well never wash my hands again.

(You did remember to execute keppan and send it with your order, right?)

Of course. There was a bit of confusion, though. See, when the instructions said "sign in blood," I didn't know they meant my own. Now you should hear my roommate whine. :rolleyes:

Fred27
12th May 2007, 08:01

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

I concur with the astonished gasp made by others...:)

Steve Delaney
13th May 2007, 15:12

Same, I was thinking "Yahoo! A complimentary Koryu.com Hiden Mokuroku!"

No such luck ;)

I have been reading the book since it arrived at my doorstep and I have to say, it is a great work. The new texts make the reading flow much better.

It was also nice to see the kamae done both in kacchu and suhada style. I found the short texts on kacchu and weaponry particularly fascinating. It's a wonderful reworking of a great text. Since I'm mainly a jujutsu boyo, I would have liked to have seen a little more poop on their yawara, but that's just me.

Excellent work as always Koryu Books.

Dean Whittle
14th May 2007, 04:11
My wife's just picked up a package from the post office ... think I might be headin' home early... :)

Regards

Dean Whittle
15th May 2007, 01:59
Yes, I have to congratulate Koryu books, another excellent publication to add to my bookshelf. I had a quick look/read last night and naturally my interest gravitated straight to the ninjutsu section first.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with it over the w/e.

Regards

Steve Delaney
15th May 2007, 03:14
I had a quick look/read last night and naturally my interest gravitated straight to the ninjutsu section first.

Yes, it was an outline of what is contained therein, with a tantalizing morsel to tantilize the tastebuds - like passing by the kitchen when the garlic's on the pan, you know something is cooking and you can't help but salivate.

E. Johnstone
15th May 2007, 14:45
I just received mine yesterday. Otake Sensei, Koryu Books and all involved really have produced an excellent volume. I'm thinking that nicely hand-rolled dust-jacket would look good in a frame.

sven beulke
18th May 2007, 15:16
Hi All!

Yes, I have to congratulate Koryu books, another excellent publication to add to my bookshelf. I had a quick look/read last night and naturally my interest gravitated straight to the ninjutsu section first.
I had the french version of "Deity and the sword", exactly like the japanese/english Version but naturally en francais. Is there a ninja-section in the new book? Some details please!

best

jest
18th May 2007, 15:55
My club has just ordered 12, I can't wait for my copy!

Dean Whittle
19th May 2007, 01:00
Sven,

There is a two page chapter on KSR's approach to ninjutsu.

Regards

George Chr
20th May 2007, 02:01
The Iaijutsu photo in page 50!!!

Oh my God!

ryoma
30th April 2011, 19:42
Dear all

Does anybody know what's going on over at koryu.com? The last update on the site was Summer 2009, announcing that news will be moved to the blog (http://www.koryu.com/koryublogs/). And the last entry there is December 2009...

BJohnson
1st May 2011, 11:08
I think the Facebook fan page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Koryu-Books/162532220082) is most frequently updated, but with the poor economy there's not much going on. Niche booksellers are taking a hit everywhere.

If you have specific inquiries, you'll definitely get an answer.

-Beth

ryoma
9th May 2011, 12:47
Dear Beth
Thanks a lot! No, nothing specific on my mind. Just wondered about the old update dates.
So it's Facebook then.....