PDA

View Full Version : Who would you be?

Tripitaka of AA
3rd April 2007, 22:03
If I were in a movie (or a dream - they're often similar), I'd like to be a cross between Tom Cruise, Tom Selleck and Tom Hanks (charm, physique and sex-appeal although not necessarily in that order)..

Sadly, I'd probably end up a cross between Woody Allen, Jack Lemmon and Dustin Hoffmann.

Ao when I start to write the script of the ultimate Shorinji Kempo movie, I'm in two minds as to how to build the central character. Should it be a heroic, iconic, attractive and charismatic "Leader", who takes the townful of losers by the scruff of the neck and transforms the spineless cowards into fine upstanding citizens who can chase Eli Wallach and his marauding bandits back into the hills? Or should it be a small, peaceful, ordinary man who comes to develop himself through training, learning to raise his bar to a higher notch, testing and challenging his own complacency until the improvement is even apparent to those around him.

And how would you write Shorinji Kempo into the plot? WOuld it have to be a "martial art" movie, or could it be a movie with some martial arts in it something that appeals to more than just the fight-fan or action-junkie ("Officer and a Gentleman" anyone?)?

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to bring some new topics to the board....

judepeel
4th April 2007, 00:10
As a girl I feel a bit left out as "Tall, muscular, no need for words" type isn't really an option. I might sulk a bit if someone says that it does sound like me :(

the girl options could be:

1. femme fatale - Satine (Moulin Rouge), Bacall in the Big Sleep, catwoman
2. sweet, girl next door - Mary-Jane (spiderman) Sally (When Harry met Sally)
3. kickarse action star, bit of a tomboy - The bride (Kill bill), Ziyi Zhang
4. Geek/scientist/librarian - Hermoine Granger, Gorillas in the Mist
5. Mumsy, family orientated and caring - the teapot (Beauty and the Beast)
6. Misunderstood outsider - Liz (Hellboy) Brigette (Ginger snaps)
7. Career woman lawyer/doctor/cop - Scully, Clarice (silence of the lambs)

For me it would have to be a martial arts movie, it would definately need to have a training montage. In real life though I'm a geek, my housemates know this because I got very excited about a song about meiosis last week. http://cellscienceproject.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/themitosiswaltz.mp3
In my defence it was for a lesson I was teaching.

After a teaching placement on the Isle of Wight though I'm getting a peverse enjoyment out of Battle Royale, perhaps I could star in a UK remake. ;)

dirk.bruere
4th April 2007, 01:53
And how would you write Shorinji Kempo into the plot? WOuld it have to be a "martial art" movie, or could it be a movie with some martial arts in it something that appeals to more than just the fight-fan or action-junkie ("Officer and a Gentleman" anyone?)?

The Matrix, with SK instead of Gung Fu
And guns... lots of guns.

Dirk

paul browne
4th April 2007, 09:55
Obviously I want to be the current incumbent Mr. Bond. (I'm bored just body doubling his swimsuit scenes)

Being realistic about my size, shape, and ability I suppose I would have to be like John Macready ( Spencer Tracy) in Bad Day at Black Rock(still a good choice.....very Shorinji in character).

Surprised Jude didn't include her namesake Emma !!!! 60's retro is very in fashion at the moment:). She was an awsome karate expert!!!
Paul

Richard Codling
4th April 2007, 10:10
After a teaching placement on the Isle of Wight though I'm getting a peverse enjoyment out of Battle Royale, perhaps I could star in a UK remake. ;)

I'm sure there's a remote Hebridean island we could dump you on. You could be the first generation of the McMitsuko clan, maybe even with a 'Hello Kitty' inspired tartan. Or maybe not.

None of the poll options really apply to me, I'm 25, not tall, muscley or quiet, I like cats but not goldfish and am a bit geeky. Oh well, better luck next time.

nuu
4th April 2007, 14:02
Jude's right. This totally ignores female stereotype film stars. I can see why David might not have considered any of these, but equal opporunities and all, who says there aren't any men who would rather be the lead in Kill Bill, or get to wear big knickers a la Bridget Jones?

Me - well, Buffy TVS, obviously! The biggest challenge, of course, is how to do those high mawashi geri without splitting your tight leather pants.....
Oh, and having to be blonde and a bit dizzy, too.....

sean dixie
4th April 2007, 14:21
Being realistic about my size, shape, and ability

Would have thought Sammo Hung more appropriate Paul! :p :p

Kari MakiKuutti
4th April 2007, 16:06
I already have two cats. Or they use me as a provider.
And a dog.
A goldfish would not prosper in these conditions...

paul browne
4th April 2007, 17:02
Sean,
So hurtful!, so vicious!, soooooo honest.:)
Actually I am exactly like Sammo Hung.....minus the skill.

Actually (off topic) with that in mind, does anybody remember Takamura sensei. Back in about 198? at summer camp he was there as the WSKO General secretary.
As wide as he was tall, high pitched sqeaky voice....most of us thought he was an honourary 7th Dan.
Then he did daisharin out of tomoenage, tobi geri and the smoothest fukko taoshi I've ever seen. 'Course the secret of his success was obvious.....he was filled with helium (high voice gave it away:))
Paul

Tripitaka of AA
4th April 2007, 18:29
Ooh-ooh, Paul mentioned something I can remember!!

(not that I could have named anything other than the Daisharin...)

Sorry to have ommitted any female role models, thanks for the suggestions. I think I might work as "The Bride"

paul browne
4th April 2007, 18:36
Dave you've just ruined any future Uma Thurman dreams I may have had.:(

stevenm
4th April 2007, 20:43
If ever they make a movie of my life story

I'll have a cameo role as my dad

Tripitaka of AA
4th April 2007, 21:20
So, Uma Thurman, as a Rokudan ronin Kenshi, complete with Hoi, Shakujo and a five-day-old beard stubble... I don't want to be in your dreams anymore Paul!

judepeel
4th April 2007, 22:56
Surprised Jude didn't include her namesake Emma !!!! 60's retro is very in fashion at the moment:). She was an awsome karate expert!!!
Paul

I'll have to dig out my leather catsuit, I won't look silly wandering around Asda in that :rolleyes: Just need to find myself a decent John Steed. :p

paul browne
5th April 2007, 00:25
Jude,
If you look like Emma Peel in a cat suit :) OO. ME. ME. ME, I'll be Steed. I'll fake a plummy accent, wear a bowler and sword fight with a brolly!! (Do they sell bowler hats in Asda?)

Dave,
Why wouldn't you want to be in my dreams? If you were maybe you could explain them to me:)

Kari MakiKuutti
5th April 2007, 07:58
Actually (off topic) with that in mind, does anybody remember Takamura sensei. Back in about 198? at summer camp he was there as the WSKO General secretary.
As wide as he was tall, high pitched sqeaky voice....most of us thought he was an honourary 7th Dan.
Then he did daisharin out of tomoenage, tobi geri and the smoothest fukko taoshi I've ever seen. 'Course the secret of his success was obvious.....he was filled with helium (high voice gave it away:))
Paul
I remember although I think his name was Takemori?
Takemori Sensei was a revelation to me.
Anybody remember Graham Nabbs? He was one of the fastest I have seen. Takemori Sensei had Graham try to grab him in free juho randori. With small seemingly effortless movements Sensei was somehow making it impossible to get any hold on him.
Changed my world, just watching that.

Thomas Fontaine
5th April 2007, 12:58
Gassho,

I presume that the individual being mentioned here is Takemori sensei, former head of the Shorinji Kempo Group in Shizuoka prefecture. The description seems to fit, in any case. He was my teacher's (Atsumi Tetsuo of Tenryu Gawa Doin) teacher and I met him a number of times during my time in Shizuoka from 1992-1997.

Takemori sensei is no longer involved with Shorinji Kempo.

kesshu,

Gassho.

Thomas Fontaine
WSKO Huronia Branch

Kari MakiKuutti
5th April 2007, 13:02
Takemori sensei is no longer involved with Shorinji Kempo.

Probably because he died some years ago.

judepeel
5th April 2007, 14:15
http://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company/tryFaceRecognition.php

Not sure how accurate this is though. I've tried 2 photos and got Beyonce and Alex Baldwin as my top lookalikes.

Tripitaka of AA
5th April 2007, 18:27
Takemori Sensei made a guest appearance in this old thread (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15120). The thread was under-subscribed at the time (it is five years ago), perhaps it is time to make a new one...

As for Sammo Hung, would it be rude to suggest that he could make a memorable Kaiso for a remake of "The Killing Machine"

paul browne
5th April 2007, 20:08
Gassho,
Yep, it's Takemori sensei I was thinking of.:o
I think it was probably my first lesson in 'not judging a book by it's cover'.
I've had many since, both in senior Sensei, rank beginners and everything in between.

Got to say having trouble imagining a Beyonce/Alec Baldwin hybrid :) (thankfully.......potential for nightmares)

Paul

dirk.bruere
6th April 2007, 04:40
As far as the poll goes, I do not mellow with age.
My tolerance for !!!!!!!! and stupidity is decreasing linearly with age.
I have less time to waste on fools than I did when I was younger.

Dirk

dirk.bruere
6th April 2007, 04:43
I remember although I think his name was Takemori?
Takemori Sensei was a revelation to me.
Anybody remember Graham Nabbs? He was one of the fastest I have seen. Takemori Sensei had Graham try to grab him in free juho randori. With small seemingly effortless movements Sensei was somehow making it impossible to get any hold on him.
Changed my world, just watching that.

Didn't Graham marry a Finnish woman and move to Finland?
Anyway, what really impressed me was Aosaka Sensei taking him apart in randoori.

Is Graham still practicing?

Dirk

Kari MakiKuutti
10th April 2007, 09:08
Didn't Graham marry a Finnish woman and move to Finland?
Is Graham still practicing?
Dirk
Yes, he did.
No, he does not.