PDA

View Full Version : TAIHO JUTSU

TIM BURTON
27th December 2000, 20:18
Dear All
I am a serving member of the Leicestershire Constabulary and in my spare time I am the secretary of the British Taiho Jutsu Association. This association was formed by Mr Brian Eustace after the system ceased to be used for officer protection in the UK.
Currently I am trying to piece together the Japanese origins of Taiho Jutsu in order that there is a historical record for our members to view. I am seeking any Japanese manuals, books, and other material or information on the subject, or copies of such texts.
At present the source document that has supplied me with information on Taiho Jutsu is the book entitled, Modern Bujutsu and Budo by Donn F Draeger. I am sure you are familiar with this work but I paraphrase it below as it gives some indication to the material I am trying to locate.
In 1924 the Tokyo Police commissioned a technical committee to review the martial art systems employed by the Police at that time. The committee comprised of a number of experts in Goshin Jutsu (self preservation) and others in the arts of Ken (the sword). The Goshin experts were Nagaoka Shuichi, Sato Kinosuke, Mifune Kyuzo, Kawakami Tadashi and Nakano Seizo. The Ken experts were Saimura Goro, Nakayama Hyakudo, Hiyama Yoshihitsu and Hotta Shitejiro. After this review the Tokyo Police accepted the findings and its officers were trained in the techniques recommended by the committee.
In 1947 the Tokyo Police commissioned another technical committee to again review Police self defence. This time the committee was headed by Saimura Goro, who had sat on the previous committee and represented Kendo. The others were Shimizu Takaji of the Shindo Muso Ryu, Nagaoka Shuichi representing Judo, Otsuka Hidenori the founder of Wado Ryu Karate and Horiguchi Tsuneo a pistol instructor. Can anyone help with the identification and the Systems of these committee members?
The result of this committees work was the creation of a martial art system they termed Taiho Jutsu. A manual entitled Taiho Jutsu Kihon Kozo (the fundamentals of Taiho Jutsu) was produced and the system adopted by the Tokyo Police. Early revisions of this manual occurred in 1949, 1951, 1962 and 1968. Taiho Jutsu appears to have been supplemented with Keibo Jutsu, Keijo Jutsu, and Hojo Jutsu. Later there was the addition of the Tokushu Keibo.
My research shows that when Wado Ryu was registered at the Butokyukai, Kyoto in 1939 it included a section named Keisastu Taiho Jutsu, consisting of Two Tehodoki, Three Kansetsuwaza, Five Nagewaza and Four Osaewaza. These techniques seem to have been refined from Shindo Yoshin Ryu. Is there any literature that defines these techniques? If not can anyone explain them?
If you can help or anyone you know has access to any of these manuals I would appreciate it if you contacted me via this site. I await your replies in anticipation and assure you that any costs would be gladly met.

Jeff Cook
27th December 2000, 21:22
Tim,

Welcome to E-budo! I too have the book you quote from. I will check my other sources tonight for further references.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that, although I have been a student of Wado Ryu and Shinto Yoshin jujitsu, I am not aware of Keisastu Taiho Jutsu. If you could tell me what the individual techniques are (i.e. which kansetsu waza, which nage waza, etc.) I can certainly explain the execution of the techniques to you. I am a bit curious as to the osaekomi waza, as the original version of Shinto Yoshin had very, very little groundwork. I would guess that they might be aiki-type arm pins.

Jeff Cook
Wabujitsu

TIM BURTON
27th December 2000, 21:53
Sorry I forgot to give you all a brief overview of what I’ve got so far,
TAIHO JUTSU
1924 – Tokyo Police employ technical committee to review police systems.
SAIMURA Goro 10TH Dan KENDO ?
NAKAYAMA Hyakudo 1873-1958 SHINDO MUNEN RYU
HIYAMA yoshihtsu ?
HOTTA Shitejiro ?
MIFUNE Kyuzo 1883-1965 10th Dan KODOKAN JUDO
SATO Kinosuke?
NAKANO Seizo 10th Dan KODOKAN JUDO
NAGAOKA Shuichi 10th Dan KODOKAN JUDO
KAWAKAMI Tadashi ?

1927 – SHIMIZU Takaji 1897-1978 25th Headmaster SHINDO MUSO RYU
Headmaster IKAKU RYU
Appointed KODOKAN JUDO JOJUTSU INSTRUCTOR in 1921
& TAKAYAMA Kenichi ?
Give a demonstration of Jojutsu to a seven man National Police Committee.

1931 - SHIMIZU Takaji is appointed resident Tokyo Police Jo jutsu Instructor. He is then instrumental in
creating the Keidotai or Special Riot Unit, which later receives instruction from SHIODA Gozo of
YOSHINKAN AIKIDO.

1946 – The 18 inch Keibo is introduced into training.

1947 - Tokyo Police employ technical committee to review police systems.
SAIMURA Goro 10TH Dan KENDO of the previous committee.
NAGAOKA Shuichi 10th Dan KODOKAN JUDO of the previous committee.
SHIMIZU Takaji SHINDO MUSO RYU.
OTSUKA Hidenori 1892-1982 Founder of WADO RYU KARATE.
Note,
When WADO RYU is registered with the NIHON BUTOKYUKAI, KYOTO in 1939
One of its sections is KEISATSU TAIHOJUTSU 14 (Police arresting techniques).
TEHODOKI x 2 (Defensive movements)
KANSETSUWAZA X 3 (Joint locking)
NAGEWAZA x 5 (Throwing)
OSAEWAZA x 4 (Holding)
HORIGUCHI Tsuneo Firearms Instructor?
Note,
This results in the production of the manual TAIHO JUTSU KIHON KOZO. Availible?
Which apparently lists the system as follows;
TOSHU (Unarmed) or KEIBO (Truncheon)
14 KIHON WAZA (Basics)
16 OYO WAZA (Advanced)
6 SEIJO (Handcuffing) SOKEN (Searching) and HIKITATE OYOBI ( standing a restrained
person).

1949 – Revision of TAIHO JUTSU, KEIJO JUTSU & HOJO JUTSU. Manual produced? Availible?

1949 – The 2 foot Keibo replacing the 18” one introduced into training.

1951 - Revision of TAIHO JUTSU, KEIJO JUTSU & HOJO JUTSU. Manual produced? Availible?

1955 - Revision of KEIJO JUTSU & HOJO JUTSU. Manual produced?
Sensei KUDA holds revision course at the KODOKAN?

1956 – The US NAVY SHORE PATROL TRUNCHEON replaces the 2’ one in Keibo training.

1961 – The TOKUSHU KEIBO (extending Truncheon) introduced for a five year trial by SHIMIZU and
his instructors;
KURODA Ichitaro
KAMINODA Tsunemori
YONENO Kotero
HIROI Tsuneji

1962 - Revision of TAIHO JUTSU, KEIJO JUTSU & HOJO JUTSU. Manual produced? Availible?

1965 - KAMINODA Tsunemori takes over Police instruction as SHIMIZU concentrates on teaching
Jo Jutsu to the public.

1966 – The TOKUSHU KEIBO is officially adopted.

1968 – Revision of TAIHO JUTSU & KEIBO JUTSU. Manual produced? Availible?

1978 – Taiho Jutsu reviewed, Manual produced? Availible?

To Present? Is Taiho still used?

jimmy o'curry
3rd January 2001, 23:22
cf. my question on the other thread, about sensei craig's book . . .

is this what is currently in use?

jimmy o'curry

TIM BURTON
4th January 2001, 13:01
Hi Jimmy,
In his book entitled Japan’s ultimate martial art, jujitsu before 1882, the classical Japanese Art of self defense (phew). Darrell Max Craig states that it addresses and demonstrates Kaisho Goshin Budo Taiho Jitsu Ryu or Tokyo Police self defence martial way body techniques. From his descriptions and photographs he has with no doubt, many connections with the Japanese Police.
However it must taken that the Police service of Japan may well employ the assistance of a great many instructors up and down the country. It is quite probable that there are a number of different systems in existence, which are collectively referred to as “Taiho Jutsu” and other systems that offer a version of Taiho Jutsu within their syllabus.
Mr. Craig makes a number of remarks in his book as to being unaware of a technique’s name and we can assume that he was not working from a Police manual. In fact on page 93 he says, “note that the above technique was taken directly from sensei Hatta’s handwritten notes”, which tends to indicate that Hatta is not in possession of any manuals either.
As Ron Beaubien indicates in his post there must be official manuals of Taiho Jutsu produced by the Japanese Police.
“I've got several hundred pages of documentation on the subject of Keishi-ryu alone in Japanese I've been trying to work my way through. I believe that it should be pretty accurate because it was privately published by the Japanese Police Department”.
It is a case of finding the right contact to track these manuals down. Donn Draeger refers to the Taiho Jutsu Kihon Kozo (the fundamentals of Taiho Jutsu), a manual that was produced in 1947, and the system adopted by the Tokyo Police. Early revisions of this manual occurred in 1949, 1951, 1962 and 1968. This would make the first three manuals 53 years old, 51years old and 49 years old respectively, hardly likely to still be restricted by the Japanese authorities I would suggest. Taiho Jutsu will have naturally evolved through out the years and will have been shaped by various sensei and political trends. The art that Mr. Craig portrays could well have been the Taiho Jutsu of the 1970’s and may bear no resemblance to the Taiho Jutsu of the 80’s, 90’s and present day. I am seeking to base my research from the publication of the 1947 manual.
Many thanks
Tim Burton.

JAMJTX
6th December 2002, 00:50
If you are referring to the book "Japan's Ultimate Martial Art" then yes this system is still used. Some of the techniques in the book have been discarded and lost.
Mr. Craig is still affiliated with the Tokyo Police and teaches a highly effective system.
I am hosting him for a clinic here in PA in January.

Jim Mc Coy

JAMJTX
6th December 2002, 00:59
“note that the above technique was taken directly from sensei Hatta’s handwritten notes”
This would probably be better than any manual. Hatta was a very highly regarded teacher.
I don't know if Mr. Craig had a "manual" from the Tokyo police. But I would be surpised if he did not.
This same poster said that Mr Craig's teaching may come from what they were teaching at Kaisho in the 70's. What this poster does not know is that Mr. Craig has continued to host top ranking instructors from the Tokyo Police (notably Hatta and Ota) at his dojo in Houston and returns to Tokyo on a regular basis. I believe annually.
I don't see how anyone can question Mr. Craig as an authority on what is taught Kaisho. He may not be "the most knowledgable" but any one who knows more would have to be quite old by now and had been studying with the Kaisho for more than his 30 years.

Jim Mc Coy

Onesimus
20th January 2004, 22:15
Can anyone here explain how exactly rank in TJ is obtained?

Aaron Duke

JAMJTX
20th January 2004, 23:23
Atleast that is my understanding.
The Police Officers learn Yoshinkan Aikido, Kodokan Judo, some weapons like keibo, etc and other arresting/controlling techniques.
But they do not get rank in "taihojitsu". They may have ranks in various arts like Aikido and Judo, where such ranks are issued.
I come across numerous American schools that claim to teach "taihojitsu" and clims to have some kind of ranking in "taihojitsu". But they never seem to have any affiliation with the Tokyo Police or any Japanese organization for that matter.
There are extremely few people outside of the Tokyo Police that have been exposed to true taihojitsu.
Incidentally, Darrell Craig is coming back to PA for a seminar on Saturday January 24. Come join us and ask him directly.
see www.jimmccoy.com for details.

Onesimus
20th January 2004, 23:38
Makes sense to me...I guess? ha ha

Aaron Duke

JAMJTX
21st January 2004, 05:53
I don't know how to interpret this reply so I won't try.
I would like to know where any claiming rank in taihojitsu received that rank and what thier affiliation is with the Tokyo Police Department, which is where it is taught.

I have met Hata Sensei who is mentioned in Mr. Craig's book. He was, I believe, an Assistant Police Chief and an instructor. But among his list of crdentials I never saw mention of rank in taihojitsu. I never met any Japanese Police Officer who spoke of having rank in taihojitsu, although they did have rank in Judo and Aikido.

One question I have to ask is about the 8th Dan claimed by Sensei Brian Eustace on the BTJA web site. Did he earn this rank from the Tokyo Police or did he put together his own ranking system based on the manuals? I'm not trying to start a flame war, especially since I don't know they guy. He may very well be a highly skilled and dedicated martial artist. If he did not get this rank from the Tokyo Police, it goes a long way to support what I said about there not being a ranking system for Taihojitsu.

Hissho
21st January 2004, 17:17
Jim,

If you are waiting for Tim Buton to reply, he won't. He died in the line of duty some time back.

There are some other taihojutsu guys on board I think. They might be able to answer your questions.

JAMJTX
22nd January 2004, 21:02
This is terribly tragic news to read of Mr. Burton. I was hoping he would reply.
If no one else wishes to reply I can understand and that will be the end of this thread.

k900r
11th March 2004, 16:14
Sorry I have not replied sooner, I had thought most threads started by my late Sensei Tim Burton would have ceased.

I cannot answer all of your questions, as Tim was the authority on most issues. I can say that Sensei Eustace had been a 7th Dan for many years. Tim had communicated directly with Japan in respect of the 8th Dan and it was duly authorised and awarded. Sensei Eustace did not award this himself and in fact had been surprised by it. (By whom in Japan I cannot say, as sadly Tim died not long afterwards.)

Tim was a great police officer and most of the practioners in the UK are or have been Police, or have a grounding in other arts.

Hope this was helpful.

Alex Hathaway

JAMJTX
11th March 2004, 17:11
From what I understand, Eustace Sensei was a Tomiki Aikido practitioner.
I always wonder how someone obtained ranking in Taihojutsu, when there is no ranking system for Taihojutsu.
Taihojutsu is a program taught to Japanese Police Officers which includes training in Aikido, Judo, and various weapons. But I never even met a police officer from Japan who had rank in Taihojutsu. They do have ranks in Judo or Aikido and some times other arts.
Is there anyone involved in this organization now or previously that had an affiliation with a Japanese Police Department and actually trained in the Taihojutsu program? Or is this just Tomiki Aikido taught to Police Offers so they call it Taihojutsu?

k900r
14th March 2004, 21:08
I am not sure how much of this has already been said in previous posts and I apoligise if I am stating the obvious or you already know this..
It is true that Sensei Eustace was a Judo and Tomiki practioner. He was also a police officer and went to Japan to study their teaching/methods with a view to developing a system for British police. Of course there is no way that British police could have just lifted the system from Japan, the cultures are so vastly different and the vast majority of British police have had no previous experience of any martial art. Also British police officers generally would never train like the Japanese police do, maybe one or two sessions a year for some, not like a session a day in Japan.
As you say in Japan 'Taiho' is simply a description for a police system that incorporates elements of existing martial arts. (Aikido, Judo, JuJitsu etc..) Most Japanese police officers will already be proficient in at leats one martial art. My understanding is (I was very young when he originally taught this!) that he took the Japanese program and taught the relevant parts as a sytem. UK practioners therefore trained and graded even if they had no other grade in any other martial art (although of course some did, like Sensei Eustace and Sensei Burton).
The system includes many recognised techiniques and katas from the other arts(Randori no kata for example) but also police specific techiniques (keibo arresting moves, transport wrist locks and the like).

I think basically that in Japan they do not need a grading system in Taiho since they have their grades in their own arts, utilised in the practice of Taiho. Here in the UK we obviously needed some way to grade practioners and Sensei Eustace developed the grading system.

P.A.L
19th March 2004, 23:58
Hi
I had a short conversation with sensei Craig about your question it seems that he is very knowledgeable in T.J. He gave me some interesting information about T.J. And Hatta sensei , I think chatting with him would be very useful.

Regards,
Ali