PDA

View Full Version : Iaido in Cuba

DeanP
6th April 2007, 17:02
While on her trip to cuba my mom ran into a group of people with Bokken practicing on the beach near her resort (near Havana). Instantly the first thing that pops into her head was "Oh my god they are doing iaido! My son does Iaido! Maybe they know my son!" Meanwhile I have never been to cuba and have no contacts there and my mom knows this... Turns out the class was Aikido and was led by a cuban gentleman who was Fluent in english which was good because my mothers spanish is a bit more than lacking. Unfortunantly she doesnt remember his name (she thought maybe his last name was Rodriguez or something), but she remembers that he said he was 5th dan in Aikido and had been practicing for 30 years and was in the area teaching a 3 day seminar to a group of students. She told him that I studied Iaido and he said that he did not, but his brother did. Mom said he was quite interested about what style I practiced and how I held my sword, cut, and so on. Having as little knowledge as she did about her sons favorite hobby she tried her best to represent MJER in all its glory to our Cuban friend. She then proceeded to forget the good sensei's name, and neglected to take down any information regarding where he lived, or any way to get in touch with him in the future!

I found a few links for cuba aikido (mom said none of the pictures looked like the sensei) but Despite my best efforts I was unable to find any internet links for iai in cuba, so just wondering if anyone out there has encountered it in their travels.
I put up the pictures that my mother took on Facebook of them practicing if anyone is interested http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=225449&id=565610033

Dean Phillips