PDA

View Full Version : Daito-Ryu Curriculum Structure

Stephen_Bannan
13th January 2004, 23:08
Just wondering if there is a syllabus written on-line somewhere for Aiki jujitsu/Daito Ryu? I can't go and see any where I live as there isn't any and am just curious about it. I study Yoshinkan Aikido and I've been told that Yoshinkan is as close as you get to aiki jujitsu/Daito Ryu without actually doing it.

Just wanting to find out what's different between the to schools. If anyone can point me in the direction of a document I will thank them very much.

Thanks.

chris davis 200
15th January 2004, 12:58
here is some of the syllabus

Shoden ---------Hidden Mokuroku------- 118 Techniques.
Aiki-no-jutsu ----------------------------- 53 Techniques.
Hiden okgui------------------------------- 38 Techniques.
Goshinyo-no-te--------------------------- 84 Techniques.

add to that various weaponry techniques, other unarmed methods etc - ya have yourself a large syllabus!

:D

don
15th January 2004, 19:14
Originally posted by Stephen_Bannan
Just wondering if there is a syllabus written on-line somewhere for Aiki jujitsu/Daito Ryu?

Not sure about online. You can get the IKKAJO syllabus if you have access to Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Hiden Mokuroku: Ikkajo
by Kondo (http://63.90.120.212/catalog/productdetails.php?code=kondo01&PHPSESSID=22bf4da38cc07c3157bc1260d5c7f145), it's listed in the TOC (and demonstrated in the rest of the book.) The NIKAJO is on a DVD sold by Julio Toribio.

If you do a search on the Aikido Journal site, you might find some of the IKKAJO/NIKAJO techniques listed. I think someone asked the same question a year or two ago and someone else uploaded the names for IKKAJO. NIKAJO might be there, too. I think Kondo made some sort of request of Expo attendees last year involving the list.

Good luck.

Btw, you might find the names a little deceptive. They're used differently in DR than in other arts. Aikido's NIKYO, e.g., is called variously KOTEZUME, SHUTOZUME, GYAKUUDEDORI, DAKIJIME.

George Kohler
15th January 2004, 19:45
If you can read Japanese you can find the 118 Hiden Mokuroku at http://member.nifty.ne.jp/daito-ryu/gihou.html

Stephen_Bannan
16th January 2004, 00:40
Well, being as dense as a hessian bag full of spanners I am unable to read Japanese. Thanks anyway.

I think I'll just say, that there may be similarities 'tween Yoshinkan and Daito-ryu but that's all I know.

Thanks again.

Nyumonsha
20th April 2007, 10:39
Hi Guys~

quick question

can anyone describe the general structure and progression of daito-ryu curriculum

my initial question is this:

in Aikido ikkajo - gokajo and single specific tehcniques (applied to various situations, but a sankajo wrist twist is still a sankajo throughout)

in daito-ryu (speficically the hiden mokuroku hyaku ju hakkajo) does ikkajo, nikajo, sankajo etc refer to the same thing (eg all ikkajo techniques are for lack of better word straight elbow lock just applied in various attacks) OR is it like Groupings - Ikkajo group etc (ala Judo's dai ikkyo - dai gokyo) OR ???

hope u can understand what i mean.

thanks in advance

i guess in short .. for daito ryu what does "ikkajo" mean?

Nyumonsha
20th April 2007, 10:55
Found the answer after all the ikkajo part of my question :-)

Seems they are groupings of techniques/teachings and not singular technique like aikido

thanks

Simon Keegan
20th April 2007, 11:07
Never having been taught Daito Ryu please feel free to disregard my every word, but I always thought they referred to principles:

ie: Ikkajo - control the centre using the shoulder
Nikkajo - control the centre using the (little finger edge of the) wrist
Sankajo - control the centre using the palm-suppinated corkscrew effect

So in other words, taking Nikkajo as an example, Nikkajo is Nikkajo any time you gooseneck the wrist. Whether you do this in a wristlock defence against a wrist grab or a control against a collar grab or against a thrust or whatever.

First principle - control the shoulder
Second principle - control the wrist
Third principle - control the palm
Fourth Principle - control the forearm

judasith
20th April 2007, 15:18
This is very wrong :)

The curriculum is divided first in major groupings of techniques, divided in "mokurokus", the first two, for instance are the "hiden" and the "aikinojutsu".

The hiden mokuroku, since it is the part of the curriculum 90% of the people will practice for all their lives, was divided in 5 series of 30 techniques each the first three (ikkajo, nikkajo, sankajo) and a different division the remaining two (yonkajo, gokajo), that include also weapons.

There is by no means a single "common" theme in the techniques of each group, there are very many completely different techniques both in attack and defense in each single series.

It is actually the opposite way around; since Ueshiba Sensei liked a technique called "ippondori" from ikkajo among the different 30 that there are inside, he decided to extrapolate it and call it "ikkyo" since it came from "ikkajo". The same for nikkyo, sankyo, yonkyo!

In any case you can find a very detailed explanation on the art's curriculum and division in several books, the best of which in my opinion (I contributed to the writing) is Antonino Certa Shihan's one: "Daito-ryu Aikibudo: History and Technique" which you can find on the net, for instance at Budovideos.com.

As a general rule, in any case, Daito-ryu always deals with specific situations in categorized katas, not on the application of a certain "principle" on every possible conceivable attack. At Daito-ryu's higher levels of practice there are forms of training that "exit" from the kata, like oyo-geiko, henka or renzoku geiko.

Best regards,

Giacomo Merello

Simon Keegan
20th April 2007, 15:28
You live and learn...

Nyumonsha
21st April 2007, 09:32
Judasilt: Thanks!

Simon Keega: thanks for the imput and interesting post.

Nathan Scott
25th April 2007, 02:41
[Post deleted by user]

ChameleonLight
21st September 2012, 22:31
Greetings!

I am interested to know what the content of the DaitoRyu after you learn all of the the Hiden Mokuroku is, and I don't mean just the name of the various branches of learning, but the actual content, such as the techniques that may be involved, or perhaps the teachings. The Hiden Mokuroku exibits such richness that it is hard to imagine even more complex levels of learning within this excellent system! I will appreciate Your answers, as there is really not much information about this.

p.s. I don't have any credentials in Daito Ryu and ask strictly as an enthusiast, thanks!

Igor Lurye.

Nathan Scott
22nd September 2012, 04:24
[Post deleted by user]

ChameleonLight
23rd September 2012, 18:21
Actually it does seem to answer my question even though i would probably have to become a member of a school or a study group in order learn more.

Sincerely,
Igor Lurye.

Jose Garrido
25th September 2012, 23:28
As far as I remember, the following is a list of the catalogues in the Tokimune branch's system and the number of techniques contained in each one:

Hiden Mokuroku = 118, omote and ura

Aiki-no-jutsu = 53

Hiden Ōgi = 36

Goshin'yō-no-te = 84

Kaishaku Sōden = 477

Menkyo Kaiden = 88

I hope this helps even more. Just be aware that the Hiden Mokuroku Katas can be taught as either Jujutsu or Aikijujutsu

Jose Garrido

ChameleonLight
26th September 2012, 13:33
Thank you Jose, and "w0w!", the numbers are baffling really, even without me knowing exactly what they mean. Of course, if you think in terms of actual application, and correct me if I am wrong - some of the techniques are not as pronounced as they are during actual practice? Nevertheless, one can only wonder at the size and magnificence of this time-honored curriculum.

Again, thanks so much for taking your time.

Igor Lurye.