PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

toejoe2k
27th April 2007, 15:17
Greetings all. I had somehting come up that I'm not too sure on how to handle and thought I could gain the council of the many. All informed replies are very much appreciated.

I am though my second week after having opened a dojo in a local gym where I teach jujutsu. I have partnered with the gym owner in doing so. He provides training space, mats and ammenities to the students. I provide all other equipment and the training. We've worked out an amicable agreement on compensation and are doing better than I anticipated after only two weeks.

I had a gentleman come into the dojo last night and introduced himself as someone who was seeking my council on what steps to take to run a school. Due to the fact that my adult class was starting, I told him that we could schedule a later time and invited him to train with us for the evening. After class he advised me that he wanted to teach Shotokan Karate classes in the same training area that I teach which would, in my opinion, put him in direct competition for students (people who are members of the gym and the children of those people) from the same pool of people. Currently, I am competing with little league, gymnastics, soccer, etc...as it stands. Adding another M.A. teacher to the mix may only make the student pool more shallow.

I'm also worried about the care of the equipment as I am very meticulous to clean the mats and the training area to the point of being spotless before I leave each night. I want the equipment to last.

On the flip side, I learned in college economics and from successful business people that competition is good for the market. Thus the quandray.

~How would you handle this? Would you encourage the direct competition to run classes out of the same facility that you use? Or, would you try to force them into another facility or out of that market all together?

Agian, thanks in advance for any and all replies.

~Bill Richardson

trevorg
27th April 2007, 16:07
It's either a coincidence that he has turned up on your second week or he is jumping on what he perceives could be a lucrative bandwagon.

Just tell him you have only justarted and that you will consider his suggestion, but not for the time being.

In the meantime ensure you have yourself covered with the gym owner by written agreement as to the obligations of both parties for you to use his place and that no other ma teacher will take other nights or time there.

Osu
Trevor

Mitch Saret
27th April 2007, 20:05
It may be a benefit having a second program for those not into jujutsu. It may not. I agree with Trevor's post in that it may be a coincedence or he may be jumping on the bandwagon. It's hard to tell.

After double checking what your present agreement covers, perhaps having him work for you would be better. Different days and times, and so forth.

That being said, I would think this early in your growth I would stick with your current situation and wait until you are firmly established before expanding.

R. Swanson
27th April 2007, 23:11
Unless you wish to run your business as a partnership with all the associated risks, thank him for his offer and decline. College economics does suggest competion in an open market is healthy, but the benefactor is primarily the consumer and not a business owner (i.e. cost/profits are reduced). The risk of a dishonest business owners can only complicate matters and may ruin your good name.

James Wadley
27th April 2007, 23:42
~How would you handle this? Would you encourage the direct competition to run classes out of the same facility that you use? Or, would you try to force them into another facility or out of that market all together?

~Bill Richardson[/QUOTE]

Mr. Richardson,
It is easy to focus on issues as being competition. Really there is no competition unless we choose to make it that way. You are your only competition in business. The way you look at the whole picture and the goals you are working toward. First of all you need to know your short term goals for your club. Then you need to set your long term goals for the club and yourself. Now this plan starts to become your business plan.
The decisions you make need to be made based on your thoughts and plans on reaching your goal, and maintain peace in your club. Set your goals, keep your focus on what you are doing and don’t get side tracked on what others want or do. Always set the little goals and find a way to reach them. Example if you want more students. You need to market. Decide what means you are going to market and implement it. Flyers, demos, ect. In marketing the one true edge is to be exclusive. This makes reaching goals much easier. If something hinders your goals then take precautions to avoid the side tracking.
Success comes from several elements. One being timing. This guys timing sounds like it could be two weeks off.

"My friend the best neighbors are the ones who live the perfect distance"

Jeff Duncan
28th April 2007, 06:27
I am though my second week after having opened a dojo in a local gym where I teach jujutsu. I have partnered with the gym owner in doing so. He provides training space, mats and ammenities to the students. I provide all other equipment and the training. We've worked out an amicable agreement on compensation and are doing better than I anticipated after only two weeks.

I had a gentleman come into the dojo last night and introduced himself as someone who was seeking my council on what steps to take to run a school. Due to the fact that my adult class was starting, I told him that we could schedule a later time and invited him to train with us for the evening. After class he advised me that he wanted to teach Shotokan Karate classes in the same training area that I teach which would, in my opinion, put him in direct competition for students (people who are members of the gym and the children of those people) from the same pool of people. Currently, I am competing with little league, gymnastics, soccer, etc...as it stands. Adding another M.A. teacher to the mix may only make the student pool more shallow.

I'm also worried about the care of the equipment as I am very meticulous to clean the mats and the training area to the point of being spotless before I leave each night. I want the equipment to last.

On the flip side, I learned in college economics and from successful business people that competition is good for the market. Thus the quandray.

~Bill Richardson

I understand what you are saying, but the thing I see is that the two arts use the principals so differently that they actually go hand in hand when it comes to someone wanting to round themselves out...
A striking art is only good standing, and these MMA commercials, and telivision shows are telling everyone that you should train in more than one art, and not to stay in the traditional arts. (I teach a semi-traditional art BTW). Would you rather have then all there under one roof, or across town where its not as convient for them... the other side of the coin on equiptment usage is correct though. My shihan had a shared space once he said he wouldnt do it again.. went in one night during their class had kids running on the mat in shoes, and adults wearing pants with metal buttons and such...
I ask you how do you feel inside about it?.. Personally if it was going better than expected I wouldnt do anything to change it. and would do what it takes to keep things going in the right direction... I am still re-reading your post and what still strikes me as odd is him asking you what it takes to run a school. IMO If he was of quality teachers, and in the actual position in life to teach he wouldnt have to ask that question.

Ikei,
Jeff Duncan

trevorg
28th April 2007, 09:37
I agree with Jeff, why does this man need to ask you how to run a school ?

You are just starting out so you dont need distractions, although from my own experience when setting out in business (oh so many years ago) it is easy to be susceptible to other people's business suggestions, but you need to quickly take on board whether they know jacks*** or are genuine. It takes many years to spot the difference if the other person is a smart guy, so if in doubt stick to your own path in business as you are in martial arts. Do not deviate until you have had many, many years experience.

Remember, the most important maxim in business is knowing when to say 'no' and even more importantly not to be afraid to say it. Its always best but not easy to say 'no' and then to go away and think about it, as opposed to 'yes' and find yourself being unable to retrieve your position.

Good luck
Osu
Trevor

jdostie
28th April 2007, 20:46
College economics does suggest competion in an open market is healthy, but the benefactor is primarily the consumer and not a business owner (i.e. cost/profits are reduced).

This is only partially true. The competitive environment can provide a stream of prospective customers that might not otherwise seek out your business. In a sense, you are in competition with the health club - students may come to your dojo and not the health club or visa versa; on the other hand, each business may help build the other (especially with a good agreement between the two - discounts for gym members or other such promotions).

This is why businesses (stores) pay a premium for mall space, a place ripe with competition. A potential customer may go to one store looking for a product, not find what they are looking for, and just step over to the next store - or they may see something else in the other store's window that draws them into a store that they otherwise would not have gone into.

In the case of your dojo, however, it's really a question of your particular market. As others have stated, one martial art is different from another, and need not take customers away from the other (this assumes knowledgable consumers). It's still too early in the life of your dojo to readily accept this competition. Try to get some time, build your "core" of students; there will be other students that you work with over time that likely will not take to jujutsu - looking for a "harder" art; those, since you will be losing them anyway you can agree to feed his way if he'll do the same the other way around. HOWEVER, I advise against allowing him to work out in the same facility if you have the wherewithall to prevent it. Try to make him and your other partner in the gym see that at this time it's to your mutual benifit to do it this way.

There are other possibilities of working together, but that has it's own set of problems, and you don't even know this guy - so those problems can multiply quickly.

toejoe2k
1st May 2007, 22:28
Many kind thanks for all of the very informative responses. And now, for you reading pleasure, take note of the following: Our kind friend who is in search of a location to teach observed and participated in one of my classes has now paid tuition and added himself to my student roster. He's proving to be rather astute and eager.

How does everyone handle having students that train at multiple schools of various disciplines...just out of curiosity?

~Billy Richardson

Jeff Duncan
2nd May 2007, 04:11
Many kind thanks for all of the very informative responses. And now, for you reading pleasure, take note of the following: Our kind friend who is in search of a location to teach observed and participated in one of my classes has now paid tuition and added himself to my student roster. He's proving to be rather astute and eager.

How does everyone handle having students that train at multiple schools of various disciplines...just out of curiosity?

~Billy Richardson

I love it they can give me a new view of my own technique that I thought I had internalized the possibilities on and bring in new issues and challenges.
Or they have just become a convert and dropped what they did before...
Both have happened for me..
Have fun,
Jeff Duncan

trevorg
2nd May 2007, 17:39
Have you got a non competition clause in your contract with him ?

I wouldnt like to think that he has elected to learn your teaching methods under the guise of being a student.

Osu
Trevor