PDA

View Full Version : tsukamaki

jezah81
11th May 2007, 04:17
Hi guys,

A few months back i received a sword from Japan with a super tight tsukamaki done on it. After a few months it has come loose, but im suspecting it is because the tsuka core has shrunk and the ito has stayed the same, hence coming looser. I have hardly used it since then, as i use my iaito more than anything else, so it cant be wear and tear. I used it once a week, and three times for cutting. Has anyone else experienced tsukamaki coming loose after just a few months? Fwiw, the tsukamaki is high grade leather.

Kind Regards,

Brian Owens
11th May 2007, 05:44
...Fwiw, the tsukamaki is high grade leather.
Yes, it can happen pretty easily on a new tsuka. They're made of magnolia, normally, and it can hold a lot of moisture even when cured for a long time. The, if there's a change in environment, it can shrink as it dries out.

With a leather tsukamaki, you might be able to tighten things up by wrapping it in a wet cloth long enough for the leather to become soft, and then quickly drying it in a warm area. That might cause the leather to shrink enough to do the trick.

HTH.

jezah81
11th May 2007, 07:53
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response. I will give that a go. By the way, it is made of honoki, will this wetting method work on any type of leather, or does it have to be of the suede type? The leather on my tsukamaki isnt suede, but tough non stretch leather.

Kind Regards,

Brian Owens
11th May 2007, 10:43
...By the way, it is made of honoki...
Yes, honoki is the Japanese name for the wood, and magnolia is the American name.

...will this wetting method work on any type of leather, or does it have to be of the suede type? The leather on my tsukamaki isnt suede, but tough non stretch leather.
It can work for most types of leather, but depends to a degree on how the leather was tanned and what type of dye and finish was used on it.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.

BTW, I left out one detail: if possible, you should remove the tsuka from the blade before doing this, so you don't get excess moisture causing rust on the blade.

HTH.

jezah81
11th May 2007, 12:59
Hi Brian,

Thanks for all the help. I dont think that much moisture would be getting into the tsuka as it is a full same wrap which is lacquered black. Maybe im wrong, but i have been told that when the same is lacquered it becomes almost waterproof.

Kind Regards,