PDA

View Full Version : Sword Project

Tenseiga
14th May 2007, 12:40
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a customization project for my Cheness Kanbai (excellent sword, by the way, perfect for iai). I'm currently having the tsukamaki changed to black leather, along with coloring the samegawa black, and also swapping out the fuchi and kashira.

I also wanted to change the tsuba, and I was contemplating on buying a blank steel tsuba (such as the ones from SDK) and playing around with that. Does anyone know of a good way to stain the steel to, say, a bronze color? How about a way to give it that "antique" color?

Also, I wanted to bring out the natural hamon more. I know, I know, togishi is an artform (which I hope to learn someday), but it's not like I'm trying to restore a damaged antique. The Kanbai is 60/40 differentially hardened, and with it's "hybrid polish" (whatever that means) the hamon can only be seen when the light hits it at a certain angle. Since the blade is in good shape, would it be okay for me to just use a hazuya stone to go over the hamon?

Thanks for your help!

J. Mijares
15th May 2007, 13:52
Since the blade is in good shape, would it be okay for me to just use a hazuya stone to go over the hamon?

You'd actually need more than just the hazuya stone; you'd also need the jizuya and some nugui. Hazuya gives the steel a hazy property and it could dull the habuchi (the line that deliniates the hamon), that's where the jizuya and nugui come in.

The hybrid polish uses light acid etching to bring out the hamon. It works well on mono-steel and folded blades.

Having worked with both, I actually prefer doing a hybrid polish on non-Japanese blades. (Not that I would try it on a Nihonto, mind you!) The results for the hamon will be a little more precise.

If you just want to bring out the hamon, I'd recommend sticking with the hybrid polish.

Jay

Tenseiga
18th May 2007, 15:13
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. You wouldn't happen to know of some website where I can read a write up on hybrid polishes, would you?

Regards,

J. Mijares
20th May 2007, 02:07
This is a good site for an intro to the hybrid polish:

Hybrid Polish (http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/hybridpolish.htm)

Patience is definitely the key for this one. You'll need several hours set aside to do it.

Jay

Tenseiga
22nd May 2007, 12:36
Thanks Jay, that link was exactly what I was looking for. I'm definitely gonna give it a try and pray I don't mess up the blade too bad ^_^

Regards,

Dangerman
5th June 2007, 22:02
It may not be practical for you to try this, and you may be looking for a really BRONZE finish, but in the process of learning how to forge steel, I discovered that if you can heat the steel, (either with a coal fire or perhaps with a torch) you can use a brass brush and brush the steel in a black heat, where the brass will melt and coat the steel with a pleasing brass finish. It takes some playing around to get the results you want, but it is really quite fun to mess around with. Having not worked with bronze, I am not sure that you could apply this technique at the same temperatures, or if you could find a bronze brush or similar way to apply the bronze to steel. A brass finish on forged steel (not machined or polished) is more subtle than you may think, more highlights than a stain. There may be more info on the process on anvilfire.com or at ABANA.com, both of which are excellent metalworking resources.

Good Luck! PM me if you try this, I would love to see the finished product.

Ben

Brian Owens
7th June 2007, 07:34
Another way to get a bronze -- or at least brownish -- tone on steel is through heat treating.

I've done this with watch parts, but never with anything as large as a tsuba. The principle should still apply, though.

Here's how I've done it:

Fill a shallow metal container with steel filings or small steel pellets.

Put the piece to be treated in on top of the filings, and place the container over a flame.

Watch the piece carefully, and as it gets hotter it will change color from silver to straw to brown to light blue to dark blue.

At whatever point it reaches a color you like (slightly before, actually), use tongs to remove it from the tray and quench it in water.

Larger pieces may warp from differential cooling, so some more work with appropriate tools may be required to correct any warpage.

HTH.

Tenseiga
12th June 2007, 06:56
Thanks for the tips! I'm probably going to order several tsuba blanks and experiment. I'll post whatever results I get, good or bad :p

Thanks!

osan
30th June 2007, 05:53
Thanks for the tips! I'm probably going to order several tsuba blanks and experiment. I'll post whatever results I get, good or bad :p

Thanks!

There are all manner of patinating solutions available for steel. Birchwood Casey makes all sorts of different ones. Look them up.

As for shaping tsuba to your wishes, how are you with a jewelers saw and files? These are probably the best methods for getting what you want... short of paying someone else to do it for you.

-Andy Vida

osan
30th June 2007, 05:58
Hi Everyone,

I am currently working on a customization project for my Cheness Kanbai (excellent sword, by the way, perfect for iai). I'm currently having the tsukamaki changed to black leather, along with coloring the samegawa black, and also swapping out the fuchi and kashira.

Leather? Why?

Also, I wanted to bring out the natural hamon more. I know, I know, togishi is an artform (which I hope to learn someday), but it's not like I'm trying to restore a damaged antique. The Kanbai is 60/40 differentially hardened, and with it's "hybrid polish" (whatever that means) the hamon can only be seen when the light hits it at a certain angle. Since the blade is in good shape, would it be okay for me to just use a hazuya stone to go over the hamon?

Thanks for your help!

Far be it for me to preach, but in my experience people that are not well experienced in polishing shouldn't try to become that way by messing with an otherwise healthy blade. If you are not experienced, I'd recommend you not try to fix that which ain't broke, particularly if you are fond of the blade.

Good luck, whatever you decide.