PDA

View Full Version : Goju-ryu

Fudo Myo-O
15th May 2007, 05:53
I live in a area with sensei Teruo Chinen a very famous man , I think I will be taking a look at his class and I know he is hardcore japanese teacher. what are your guys veiw about goju-ryu?

Brian Owens
15th May 2007, 06:13
If you do a search on "Teruo Chinen" you will find plenty of opinions posted.

One of my teachers was a student of his in Spokane, and thought he was a very good teacher. My teacher was a Shito Ryu shihan, but had studied Shito Ryu, Goju Ryu, and Shotokan before finally deciding on Shito Ryu.

HTH.

budoka_ch
16th May 2007, 09:41
Well, first of all, I guess I'm a bit biased, having gotten my shodan in goju only last December...which means, I guess, that I can now call myself a beginner :) and, by extension, should 'shaddup and let any seniors that are here and know whereof they speak speak for themselves', but...

My teacher studied under Chinen sensei (among others), and I gather the workouts were, umm, 'intense'.

Anyway, not sure what you've heard about goju, but, as Brian suggested, I would also suggest doing a search of these forums. That way, you can make your own decisions and not have to go on the (possibly) b&%&-ackward opinions of faceless others...which is one downside of these here internet-watchamacallits :D

Kenshin Butsu
17th May 2007, 02:29
Depends what you are looking for...Goju Ryu training with Chinen Sensei is worthwhile. The only constructive criticism I have would be, if you are looking for hardcore ju-kumite, then for the most part (of course there are exceptions to generalizations) traditional goju ryu would not be the right avenue for you.

Namo Amitahba!