PDA

View Full Version : Koryu in Canada

Jimmy Francoeur
20th August 2001, 15:13
Hi again

1. Does somebody know of any practioner that teach or just practice a Koryu in the province of Quebec (Canada). I doubt it very much, but it's worth asking.

2. Are You aware of any serious books on koryu in french? If so, any titles?

Thanks a lot
Jimmy Francoeur
:cool:

PRehse
21st August 2001, 02:12
I notice from your profile that you do the Aikibudo and I must say the Kobudo portion is probably as close as you are going to get. I missed Hitakayama when he came from Japan this time around but, staying away from lineage arguments about Tenshin Katori Shinto Ryu which I really don't care about, what he teaches is Koryu.

As far as I know - that is about it.

johan smits
21st August 2001, 07:37
Hi Jimmy,

the only book that comes to mind is a book: Jodo, the way of the stick by Pascal Krieger. It is in English/French. You could check with Judo International in Paris, they have a large bookshop, lots of titles in French (on koryu I don't know).

Best regards,

Johan Smits

Alternity
23rd August 2001, 21:19
Have you taken a look at Jukado ? (http://www.jukado.com). They have a lot of interesting books and you might be able to find something there. They are in Montreal.

As for Hatakeyama Sensei, I had the chance to participate in some of his workshop (practicing aikibudo/kobudo myself). Was really interesting even though my lack of experience did not allow me to participate in everything.

Jimmy Francoeur
24th August 2001, 15:37
Hi

Yes I am aware of Jukado. Great shop.
Thanks
:wave:
Jimmy Francoeur

roninseb
28th August 2001, 20:10
Dear Mr. Francoeur we have Mrs. Kuniko Kinoshita who studied for 23 years at the hombu dojo with Miura Takeyuki Hidefusa in Osaka she is ranked Rokudan renshi and she was appointed the Canadian branch chief of the Nippon Kobudo Jikishin Kan Dojo last year by Miura sensei. She is very knowledgable and her technique truly shows her time spent practicing also her mother who is ranked Hachi dan will be coming in september if she has time we might be able to get a class. If you are interested in taking classes with her she is teaching at the Tristar dojo on saturday and the Tajima dojo on friday. If you have any question feel free to email us at.

sebkuniko@sympatico.ca

Truly Yours,

Sebastien Cyr

PRehse
29th August 2001, 02:23
Way cool - could you please give some info about what is studied.

Originally posted by Sebastien Cyr
Dear Mr. Francoeur we have Mrs. Kuniko Kinoshita who studied for 23 years at the hombu dojo with Miura Takeyuki Hidefusa in Osaka she is ranked Rokudan renshi and she was appointed the Canadian branch chief of the Nippon Kobudo Jikishin Kan Dojo last year by Miura sensei. She is very knowledgable and her technique truly shows her time spent practicing also her mother who is ranked Hachi dan will be coming in september if she has time we might be able to get a class. If you are interested in taking classes with her she is teaching at the Tristar dojo on saturday and the Tajima dojo on friday. If you have any question feel free to email us at.

sebkuniko@sympatico.ca

Truly Yours,

Sebastien Cyr

roninseb
29th August 2001, 03:48
Dear Mr. Rehse.

We study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu iaijutsu. Our teacher in Japan (Miura Takeyuki Hidefusa) studied under the 18th headmaster Masaoka Kasumi who was a student of Oe Masamichi and then with the 19th headmaster Narisei Sakahiro. Miura Takeyuki Hidefusa is now recognized by the Dai Nippon Butoku kai in Kyoto as the 20th headmaster of our lineage. Here is our list of katas.

Seiza no bu 11 katas
1- Mae
2- Migi
3- Hidari
4- Ushiro
5- Yaegaki
6- Ukenagashi
7- Kaishaku
8- Tsukekomi
9- Tsukikage
10- Oikaze
11- Nukiuchi

Tatehiza no bu 10 katas
1- Yokogumo
2- Tora no Issoku
3- Inazuma
4- Yukigumo
5- Oroshi
6- Iwanami
7- Urokugaeshi
8- Namigaeshi
9- Takiotoshi
10- Makko

Okuiai iwaza 8 katas
1- Kazumi
2- Sunegakoi
3- Tozume
4- Towaki
5- Shiogiri
6- Tanashita
7- Ryozume
8- Torabashiri

Okuiai Tachiwaza 13 katas
1- Yukizure
2- Tsuredachi
3- Sommakuri
4- Sodome
5- Shinobu
6- Yukichigai
7- Sodesoregeashi
8- Moniri
9- Kabezoe
10- Ukenagashi
11- Itomagoi1
12- Itomagoi2
13- Itomagoi3

Tachi uchi no kurai 7 katas (Partner drills with bokuto)
1- Deai
2- Kobushitori
3- Zetsumyoken
4- Dokumyoken
5- Tsuba dome
6- Ukenagashi
7- Makko

You can visit our unfinished website at

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sebkuniko/

If you have any questions we will be more than happy to discuss with you on this forum or by email at

sebkuniko@sympatico.ca

Truly yours

Sebastien Cyr

PRehse
29th August 2001, 04:00
Thanks

Unfortunately I am a) leaving Osaka tomorrow and b) living in Quebec City.

But in any case it does address the question about Koryu in Quebec.

roninseb
29th August 2001, 04:11
You should visit the hombu in Osaka next time you go to Japan. You can call up to visit in advance they will be more than happy to receive you. My mother in law is also an instructor there and she is able to speak english for most of the basic stuff. If you have a chance you should really go since this dojo is also on the grounds of a shinto shrine so it is worth the time for sure.

Have a safe trip back.

Truly yours,

Sebastien Cyr

PRehse
29th August 2001, 04:22
I will keep it in mind. Thanks

Jimmy Francoeur
30th August 2001, 16:21
Hi Sebastien

Thank You for the reply. I do not live in Montreal, but Your dojo look very interesting! When I will go to Montreal, maybe I can go to a couple of training sessions at Your dojo if it is possible.

Thank You and have a nice day
jimmy Francoeur:)

Lorel
31st August 2005, 02:34
hi all. I was wondering if there are any legitimate instructors of the koryu here in Toronto, Canada. I was hoping, even if improbable, that there was a Yagyu Shingan study group around. Thanks all.

kmorgan
31st August 2005, 05:12
Try,
http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

Chuck.Gordon
31st August 2005, 10:01
IIRC, there are Muso Jikiden Esihin Ryu aas well as Shinto Muso Ryu classes available at the Aikido Yoshinkai, under Kimeda Sensei. Website: http://www.aikido.ca/.

Last time I was there, Ohmi Goyo Sensei was teaching iaido, but I don't know who's doing the jodo instruction.

Ohmi Sensei is a wonderful teacher and a great guy, I just wish I had more opportunity to train with him,

cg

FastEd
31st August 2005, 18:44
You will have to do a google search to pin down times and locations but here is what I understand is being taught in TO, its a big place through so hopefully others maybe able to expand on this.

For Koryu Iai:
You have MJER through the CKF the CIA, and Seibukan Canada
You have MSR through the CKF, and maybe through some Aikikai groups.
You have Mugai Ryu through Seibukan Canada

For Koryu Kenjutsu:
Reg Hartman teaches HNIR.
Seibukan does Yoshin Ryu kenjutsu.

For Koryu Jo:
You have SMR through the CKF (note, the focus is on Seitei jo right now so you won't see alot of koryu) and Seibukan.

Koryu Jujitsu:
Seibukan teaches Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu.
Judo Ontario might be able to Id more clubs.

Lorel
1st September 2005, 02:31
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the Seibukan is the dominant organization in toronto for koryu.

FastEd
1st September 2005, 04:20
I'm not keen on your use of the word "dominant", I suggest you go visit some of the schools associated with the organizations I have mentioned, check their websites out, and make your own decision about which group best fills your need.
Not being associated with the Seibukan, I can't give you any sense of their organization. I have had the opportunity to practice Iai under Juge Sensei and his assistant instructors during the Guelph School of Japanese Sword Arts and enjoyed it very much.

kmorgan
1st September 2005, 04:51
I'm not keen on your use of the word "dominant", I suggest you go visit some of the schools associated with the organizations I have mentioned, check their websites out, and make your own decision about which group best fills your need.

Agreed. You have lots of time, shop around and see what fits your needs best.
Fees, personalities, location, style. There are many reasons to select one school over another.

Tenma
21st May 2007, 01:12
Hello,
perhaps someone can help me.
I'm looking for the name of a few good dojo in downtown Toronto. I'm open to different styles.

Thanks,
Alex Shenker

2groggy
21st May 2007, 04:45
I train out in Downsview, so that's probably too far.

How far are you willing to commute?

Any hints as to what interests you?

Let me know that and I can ask around,

Kim Taylor
21st May 2007, 04:51
What do you want to train Alex. There are quite a few dojo in Toronto, quite a choice for budo, so you need to be more specific. For those dojo associated with the Canadian Kendo Federation check out http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

Kim Taylor

Tenma
21st May 2007, 07:40
Well, I'm willing to commute as far as the subway will take me, the closer to Bloor-Spadina the better. I would prefer something simple, my intention is to find a number of very talented instructors in the area. Right now, I'm more concerned with the teacher's ability and passion to teach than a particular style... Thanks

Alex Shenker

2groggy
22nd May 2007, 01:10
You are right on UofT's doorstep. Have you checked out the Athletic Centre or Hart House? I don't know if they require you to be either a student or an alumnus. If you are eleigble, there would be a variety of clubs, like karate, and akido.

Tenma
23rd May 2007, 14:35
I asked a friend who goes there, told me you have to be a student. To be more specific, are there any reputable Aikijutsu, Aikido, Iaido, Jojutsu, Kenjutsu, or Bojutsu dojo (in order of preference) within a 10 minute walk from any subway station downtown?

jfkcotter
23rd May 2007, 19:04
I found this guy. Maybe somebody in Toronto can tell us what his story is.

Mounir Ghrawi
Hakko Ryu - Menkyo Kaiden Shihan

http://www.freewebs.com/iai-do/index.htm

Kim Taylor
23rd May 2007, 19:07
Aikido, jodo and iaido at the AYC dojo in Toronto, Yonge and Gerrard.

Kimeda s. is 8dan aikido, 6dan iaido and 4dan jodo.

You won't get a much better match to your requirements.

Kim Taylor

Tenma
24th May 2007, 15:44
Thank you both! I'll be checking those places out. Question: Hakko Ryu is the jujutsu that incorperates shiatsu, no?

bzarnett
31st May 2007, 18:25
Hi Alex,

You can give me an e-mail at tsyr.toronto@gmail.com if you would like to talk about training in Shindo Yoshin ryu. We train Monday and Wednesday at Bloor and Avenue Road (across from the ROM) as well as some days on the weekend.

We are a Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu study group.

You can find more information about TSYR at:
http://www.shinyokai.com/

Cheers,
Bryan

omarr
13th June 2007, 15:23
I found this guy. Maybe somebody in Toronto can tell us what his story is.

Mounir Ghrawi
Hakko Ryu - Menkyo Kaiden Shihan

http://www.freewebs.com/iai-do/index.htm

Jeez, it's a small world...

Ghrawi-sensei was based here in Dubai for a long time. I trained at his dojo a couple of years ago.

I only trained there for a short while but from my personal experience, I can honestly say that he is the genuine article - in terms of character and ability.

I actually heard rumours he was coming back to Dubai - but maybe not!