PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice For Making a Makiwara

number 6
22nd May 2007, 20:35
Hello all.
I have been practicing Karate for the last 4 years and have decided that i would like to build myself a makiwara. So what i'm asking for is a bit of advice in making one, any help would be very appreciated.
My plan is to make one that is bracketed to the wall rather than one that is burried in the ground.
I was thinking of a piece of wood 3" x 3" at the base tapering up to 3 " x 1 and 1/2" at the top, but what wood should i use?
Any advice on how to bracket it to the wall?
And the padding for the striking area, what should i use? I know that traditionally rice straw/rope (is that right?) was used. Is this available anywhere, keep in mind that i live in ireland so i'm looking for somebody who delivers. And if not, does anybody have any sugestions on what i should use?
I have tried some of the bought, nailed to the wall variety, but didn't find these very good.

Thanks for any help that you can give me in advance.

Shane Mc Munn

ZachZinn
22nd May 2007, 22:07
Having felt the difference, I actually prefer leather to the rope etc., but I think that's less 'traditional' maybe. Will this makiwara have some 'give' after you bracket it to the wall?

Here is a good article on making a makiwara, I used these plans for a buried one and it's worked out great.

http://www.westseattlekarate.com/articles/MakiwaraTraining-Illustrated.pdf

number 6
22nd May 2007, 22:16
When i said bracketed to the wall, what i man to do is to use some kind of metal spacer that will be attached to the wall at one end at ground level and about a foot away the wooden shaft of the makiwara. I am very concious of the need for some give, hence my dislike of the bought ,stuck to the wall variety.
Thanks for the advice and the link and i am very open to stay away from the traditional and use something else.
this is going to be my summer project, starting as soon as i finish my exams.

Thanks

Shane Mc Munn

shoshinkan
22nd May 2007, 22:58
Hello all.
I have been practicing Karate for the last 4 years and have decided that i would like to build myself a makiwara. So what i'm asking for is a bit of advice in making one, any help would be very appreciated.
My plan is to make one that is bracketed to the wall rather than one that is burried in the ground.
I was thinking of a piece of wood 3" x 3" at the base tapering up to 3 " x 1 and 1/2" at the top, but what wood should i use?
Any advice on how to bracket it to the wall?
And the padding for the striking area, what should i use? I know that traditionally rice straw/rope (is that right?) was used. Is this available anywhere, keep in mind that i live in ireland so i'm looking for somebody who delivers. And if not, does anybody have any sugestions on what i should use?
I have tried some of the bought, nailed to the wall variety, but didn't find these very good.

Thanks for any help that you can give me in advance.

Shane Mc Munn

check out www.makiwarapost.com

good product and/or free advice avalaible.

Dick Mineo
23rd May 2007, 03:23
Hello
This is my first post at this sight but this question has come up at other places so I will offer my suggestions for building your own makiwara board.
I am one that has built all of my own equipment but wood working is one of my hobbies, so I have more machinery than most folks.

A makiwara board (atleast the one I know) does not have dimensions like what you have described. 3"x3" tapering to 1&1/2" would not give much if any spring action or movement. Mine is built out of iron wood and it is a 1"x5" board that stands just above my shoulder height. You can find iron wood at some lumber yards but it does not have to be built out of that. Oak or maple might work too. Possably the sight suggested by another member will suggest a good wood to use. I like the iron wood because it is quite heavy and even though mine tapers to 5/8" at the top it is quite tough and resilient when struck.

If you have access to metal working materials.....you can design a bracket that will mount to a wall, provided you have it backed with a solid backing that is mounted to atleast 2 wall studs. Remember that the leverage of the long board will have a lot of stress on that type of mount so use good heavy metal.
I first mounted mine outside in the dirt but did not like the sound of my punches echoing all over the neighborhood. Then I moved it down inside of my basement dojo. The concrete floor was a great place to mount it. It took some work to make the rectangle hole for it to fit in but this really works great.
I used leather for my pad and think this is a good way to go. When I haven't been useing the makiwara for a period of time....I start again wearing leather gloves, then as I get more used to it I go back to bare knuckles.

Basically I am saying.....just go for it if you like building things.

Dick Mineo

CEB
28th May 2007, 17:23
Don't bother if you are just going bracket something against the wall.

Get a wall bag instead. A lot less trouble and more flexible beacuse you can change its nature by changing the filling.

The beauty of the striking post is not just that it gives you something you can hit your knuckles on. Part of maki training is the body movement around the post. If you just want to hit something a CHinese wall bag is a lot less trouble.