PDA

View Full Version : A new era begins...

John McCulloch
28th May 2007, 01:03
The May basho ended with a remarkable bout between Asashoryu and Hakuho (99.9999% sure to be the next Yokozuna). Asashoryu already knew he had lost the tournament and that his position as sole Yokozuna was about to end. However, he had a last chance to show the "new guy" who's boss.

Not surprisingly it was an extremely hard fought bout. Both rikishi have tremendous skill and strength and the match appeared deadlocked despite initial attempts by Hakuho to force out Asashoryu. Eventually Hakuho detected a momentary opening and threw Asashoryu with uwatedashinage.

The upshot of all this is that we now have the prospect of a new era of exciting basho, not just the usual routine of wondering how many days it'll take Asashoryu to win it all.

Bring it on! :)

John McCulloch

fifthchamber
28th May 2007, 02:03
It was a great bout...Asashoryu looked a little off form..(Or, for him looked rather unlike a brick wall this time)..Although I respect his solidity while he had one leg raised in the air..Most people would be straight over..He still held Hakuho off for a time...
Impressive...Most impressive..
(The Japanese in the gym I was in all cheered as well..Nice to see a Japanese wrestler doing rather well)..

jonpalombi
28th May 2007, 04:55
The May basho ended with a remarkable bout between Asashoryu and Hakuho. We now have the prospect of a new era of exciting basho, not just the usual routine of wondering how many days it'll take Asashoryu to win it all.

Bring it on! :)

John McCulloch

I agree wholeheartedly! I can't remember how long it has been since a Grand Sumo Basho has generated so much excitement. Not just from the show-down between Hakuho and Asashoryu but from the outstanding performances of: Dejima, Kotomitski, Ama, Amanishiki, Chiotaikai and the mighty Kaio! Also, I am so pleased to see Wakanosato regain his forward momentum. While this wonderful event started out shadowed by the sad news that the noble Ozeki Tochiazuma was retiring, due to complications resulting from a stroke, the Spirit shown by all of the rikishi was inspiring. Damn, this was Ozumo at it's finest! Yes, my friend, this is most certainly a new era. Despite the unsportsmanship displayed by the Yokozuna Asashoryu on day 11 (after his defeat by Amanishiki), most of the rikishi carried themselves with honor and nobility. A particularly poinient moment was when Tochiazuma, seated in the corridors (wearing a tie and the blue jacket every retiring rikishi dons), watched Chiotaikai's victory over Kaio and mouthed, " Chiotaikai.", as if to say, "It's up to you now, my Brother, carry on without me." A moment I will never forget... Now, who was it that said that Sumo is not a Martial Art? Perhaps this Basho was an expression of a Martial Masterpiece! I am, quite simply, in awe.

Hazuki_47
28th May 2007, 08:34
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to respond to Ben's comment about everyone in the gym cheering because the wrestler was Japanese? Both Hakuho and Asashoryu are Mongolian. Or were you referring to one of the other bouts?

I only managed to see the first couple of days, but it is great news that we will have another Yokozuna. Perhaps this will herald the return of interesting and competitive bashos.

Regards,

fifthchamber
28th May 2007, 14:20
Sorry, wasn't too clear when I wrote that post.
They were cheering during the Chiyotaikai fight a few days back now...The Hakuho fight they were happy just because it meant a good chance of someone other than Asashoryu being at the top..But the fight I was referring to was the Chiyotaikai fight..
My bad..Long Karaoke session the night before..

John McCulloch
1st June 2007, 05:19
It's official - the Nihon Sumo Kyokai has named Hakuho the 69th Yokozuna:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/kyokai/special/promotion/yokozuna_69th.html :smilejapa

John McCulloch

jonpalombi
17th June 2007, 02:27
Yes, it's great to have a new Yokozuna, in Hakuho. His recent victory in the Hawaiian Jungyo proves his promotion wasn't a fluke. Now Sumo fans can look forward to the possibility of a new level of competition in the Makuchi division. Like John originally posted, it is no longer a series of tournaments easily won by Asashoryu. Congrats to the new Mongolian Yokozuna! :cool: