PDA

View Full Version : Tsumaki Seirin Genshin (14th Soke Tamiya-ryu Iaijutsu)

Gennan 53
5th June 2007, 17:29
Minasan,

Konnichiwa. It is with a sense of great sadness and loss that I must give the following news. On June 5 at 6:32 AM (Japan time) the current and 14th Headmaster (Soke) of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, Tsumaki Seirin Genshin passed away quietly at his apartment in Odawara, Japan. At the age of 102 years and 3 months old, he enjoyed a long and successful career in Iai, living to see Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu expand beyond the borders of Japan into South Korea and North America.

Soke Sensei came to visit the North American Branch of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu in the summer of 1998, and to his final days, continued to talk about the people he met and how encouraged he was to see such dedicated students of this ancient sword art in the West. In his tenure as the 14th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, Soke Sensei’s dream was to see Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu gain a foothold in other countries…a dream that all of the members of the United States Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu organization, both past and present, have devoted themselves to through their studies in the Dojo and in their daily lives.

We would be most appreciative for your incense and prayers for the Tsumaki family during this difficult time.

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

JAnstey
6th June 2007, 08:18
Dear Michael,

Our deepest condolences go out for the Tsumaki family and to the whole of the US Tamiya Ryu.

With sympathy

Jason Anstey
Tamiya Ryu Australia

durandal
18th November 2011, 03:45
Minasan,

Konnichiwa. It is with a sense of great sadness and loss that I must give the following news. On June 5 at 6:32 AM (Japan time) the current and 14th Headmaster (Soke) of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, Tsumaki Seirin Genshin passed away quietly at his apartment in Odawara, Japan. At the age of 102 years and 3 months old, he enjoyed a long and successful career in Iai, living to see Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu expand beyond the borders of Japan into South Korea and North America.

Soke Sensei came to visit the North American Branch of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu in the summer of 1998, and to his final days, continued to talk about the people he met and how encouraged he was to see such dedicated students of this ancient sword art in the West. In his tenure as the 14th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, Soke Sensei’s dream was to see Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu gain a foothold in other countries…a dream that all of the members of the United States Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu organization, both past and present, have devoted themselves to through their studies in the Dojo and in their daily lives.

We would be most appreciative for your incense and prayers for the Tsumaki family during this difficult time.

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

Sorry for the Necro but... 102 year!!! Looks like Tamiya-ryű got the secret of eternal youth!

but i heard that nowadays Tamiya doesn't have a soke anymore?

Gennan 53
1st February 2012, 00:02
Minasan,

Kon'nichiwa.

The current and 15th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu is Tsumaki Kazuo Genwa, son of the 14th Soke, Tsumaki Seirin Genshin who paseed away in 2007.

Arigatou gozaimasu!

durandal
2nd February 2012, 14:00
Minasan,

Kon'nichiwa.

The current and 15th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu is Tsumaki Kazuo Genwa, son of the 14th Soke, Tsumaki Seirin Genshin who paseed away in 2007.

Arigatou gozaimasu!

Thanks you very much. So why Ueno sensei did say there were no more soke of Tamiya-ryu a few years ago? did this succession took time to officialize?

Gennan 53
16th May 2012, 21:16
Minasan,

Kon'nichiwa.

In response to the most recent post on this thread concerning the succesion of Tsumaki Kazuo (Genwa) Sensei to the position of 15th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, I would like to provide a bit more clarification.

When the 14th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu passed away in 2007, the organization that was headed by 14th Soke Tsumaki Seirin (Genshin) split into two factions: one led by Tsumaki Kazuo (Genwa) Sensei that eventually became the Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu Genwakai and another led by his brother, Tatsuo, with which Ueno Sensei and Fukui Sensei are affiliated. These two factions function separate and distinct from one another and have no direct line of communication.

In 2009, after leading the Genwakai under the title of "Soshi" ("Head Instructor") for almost two years, Tsumaki Sensei was elevated to the position of 15th Soke of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu by a unanimous concensus of the Executive Board and Board of Directors of the Genwakai.

I hope that this clarifies things a bit better. Should anyone reading this post wish to discuss this matter further, you can feel free to write to me off-forum at: AlexGennan@comcast.net.