PDA

View Full Version : Body Training\Conditioning for Judo

Green Hare
5th June 2007, 23:44
Hello All,

I have just started Judo and find myself surprisingly, physically weak in training and moving around another body.

I know that the best thing fro practising Judo is Judo, but any ideas what I can do outside of this?

Does anyone have any tips on a good way to build strength etc to aid in me being able to practice better?

Thanks all!

Mark Bartolo

kenkyusha
6th June 2007, 00:04
Geared toward combative atheletes:
Ross Boxing (http://www.rossboxing.com).

Be well,
Jigme

BTW, Cross Fit (http://www.crossfit.com/) is also a fun site

Dull Blade
6th June 2007, 17:04
Hey Mark,

Supplement your workouts with weight lifting, and cardio.

On the weight lifting side, stick with lifts that use more then one muscle group. You want to basically train your body's muscles to work together when trying to move heavy weight.

Try some dead lifts, squats, clean and jerks, and combinations of standard lifts rolled into one big movement (so try a bicep curl into an overhead press, etc).
Also, try to do supersets (so multiple types of lifts/excercises without rest in between), such as 10 reps overhead press, 10 pushups, 10 body weight squats, 30 secs with a skipping rope with no rest between excercises. Rest for 2-3 mins AFTER you have done all of the above. Do 3 sets of the supersets, and you will be doing some great cardio conditioning on top of the strength training.

Make sure to start off with LIGHT weight, maybe even just the bar, to get your body use to the movements and positions you will be going through. Once you feel comfortable with the movements and you are sure your technique is good, start adding on some weight slowly.

For cardio, train both for distance and power. So long distance running, and wind sprints.

Another thing to keep in mind in Judo, is to calm down and breath. In both randori and ne-waza randori your biggest enemy is yourself, and the tendency to start clenching up every muscle you have in an effort to force your opponent around. You just gas yourself, and tire out your muscles quickly. Stay relaxed!

I started judo just over a year and a 1/2 ago, and I have found adding the weights and running have dramtically improved my game.

Cheers,
Dave.

Green Hare
6th June 2007, 23:59
Thank you Jigme and David, for the advice.

I will let you know how I progress!!

Cheers,

Mark Bartolo