PDA

View Full Version : Shotokan Master Camp 2007

Kchef
14th June 2007, 19:23
I just returned from the Shotokan 2007 Master Camp up near Philly.

ISKF

500 attendees with some the best Karate instructors around!!!!

Wow!

3 trainings a day for 5 days was all my body could handle but I walked away pretty impressed.

Other than one knee being a bit swollen I couldn't have had more fun.

Instructors included:
Yutaka Yaguchi
Shigeru Takashina
Hiroyoshi Okazaki
Hideo Ochi
Hirokazu Kanazawa 10th Dan
Turuyuki Okazaki 9th Dan

Sesei Fields from Santa Monica, CA
Sensei Amin from spain
Kathy Cline from Washington
Gary Swain of Colorado

If wanted to sweat and work on your Karate, then the 2007 Master Camp was the place to be. If I had to tell you who I enjoyed the most as an instructor, I'd tell you it was Kanazawa & Fields but Swain was pretty impressive also. The most impressive quality about them was their ability to clearly explain techniques in a way that everyone immediately understood. They were just able to paint a picture in words that you could then quickly turn into actions.

Kanazawa was simply incredible though. He is the only living 10th Dan and his speed was still legendary even at his age. I'm glad I got a chance to meet and train him. It will be something I won't soon forget and to top it off he thought I had good concentration and my saying of the Dojo Kun in Japanese wasn’t bad either.

You certainly missed out if you didn’t make it.

K. Allen

Dawndelion
18th June 2007, 14:54
Thank you for the camp report. I attended 2005 and 2006 (couldn't find the money this year) and loved it. Ochi sensei from Germany was one of my faves, as was David Jones. I'm sorry I missed Kanazawa this year!

My sensei's sensei is Okazaki, trained under him since the tender age of 13, went along as they found the site for the camp way-back-when.

I heard JKA has split from ISKF. Now they'll be changing the katas again. Nevemind, I do them the way my sensei teaches me, the way Okazaki taught him. I got flack from Koyama last year about doing the katas the way I do. It was a little disconcerting.

Nonetheless, it's a great experience, a truly international contingent of teachers and students. I'm looking forward to next year...

don
18th June 2007, 17:44
Been out of JKA for a couple of decades.

Very surprised to see Kanazawa in the lineup. Reconciliation, even? How long has this been going on?

What ever happened to Greer Golden?

Ray Dalke is in a competing org?

Thanks.

Dawndelion
18th June 2007, 19:37
I don't know, really, about any of that organizational stuff. I won't join any of them. I just heard about the split from my sensei a week ago. Although if I was FORCED to, I might consider ISKF because of Okazaki who I respect -even though I don't like the way they do Bassai Dai. Wimpy. Maybe someone else is in the know aout this organizational dancing they all seem to love to do??

Kchef
20th June 2007, 15:08
Kanazawa and Okazaki have been friends for a long time. Before the split of ISKF and JKA, JKA didn't allow Kanazawa to attend the master camps. Now that they have split, Kanazawa is welcome. ISKF benefits because Kanazawa brings with him a huge following.

David Jones was there also. He was very impressive to train with, he is also in incredible shape. I think he is in Canada now.

My Sensei trained with Greer Golden in Ohio years and years ago. Golden's health hasn't allowed him to make a master camp in quite some time and I heard that his health is continuing to slip even further. I think he may be having some serious heart problems now.

K. Allen

don
20th June 2007, 17:22
Kanazawa and Okazaki have been friends for a long time. Before the split of ISKF and JKA, JKA didn't allow Kanazawa to attend the master camps. Now that they have split, Kanazawa is welcome. ISKF benefits because Kanazawa brings with him a huge following.

Glad to hear that.

My Sensei trained with Greer Golden in Ohio years and years ago. Golden's health hasn't allowed him to make a master camp in quite some time and I heard that his health is continuing to slip even further. I think he may be having some serious heart problems now.Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the update.