PDA

View Full Version : Foreign direct students of Inoue Motokatsu

thomas_james
15th June 2007, 20:44
Dear all,

Does anyone know what direct foreign students Inoue Motokatsu (Ryukyu Kobujutsu) had and what they are doing today?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas James

Sanseru
16th June 2007, 21:14
Hello:

Inoue Motokatsu's books in English and Japanese give a list of his foreign students. For example, in Ancient Martial Arts of the Ryukyu Islands:

Tino Cebreano
Leif Hermansson
Ilpo Jalamo
Edward Jardine
Julian Mead
Paul Starling
John Sullivan
Rob Zwartjes

However these books are quite old now and these students may not be active anymore.

Regards,

ScottUK
17th June 2007, 00:48
http://www.rkagb.com/ - click on 'links'...

thomas_james
17th June 2007, 12:13
Inoue Motokatsu's books in English and Japanese give a list of his foreign students.

Thanks for the answer. Do you know where to get the books?

Sanseru
18th June 2007, 15:05
Hello:

I'm sure if you did a google search that the English language books would turn up. As for the Japanese language books, they may be still available through Shureido Japan.

Patrick McCarthy
18th June 2007, 23:21
Dear all,

Does anyone know what direct foreign students Inoue Motokatsu (Ryukyu Kobujutsu) had and what they are doing today?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas James

Dear Thomas,

I was a direct student of Inoue Motokatsu sensei.

How may I help?

thomas_james
23rd June 2007, 19:22
Are the black Hakama just for blackbelts, or your all practicioners?

thomas_james
29th June 2007, 20:07
Does nobody know?

ScottUK
29th June 2007, 20:09
In the Birmingham group, only Snewin-sensei wore hakama.

Why'd you ask?

thomas_james
29th June 2007, 22:06
In the Birmingham group, only Snewin-sensei wore hakama.

Why'd you ask?

Because I saw only Kobujutsu-representatives with a Hakama so far and I just wanted to know.

ScottUK
29th June 2007, 22:12
I guess that was worth a thread...

Patrick McCarthy
29th June 2007, 22:23

As a rule, the RKHSK [Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko kai] yudansha wear hakama for formal demonstrations. Motokatsu Sensei wore Hakama always, whether teaching or demonstrating.

While hakama are rarely worn in Okinawan kobudo, they are usually the domain of Japanese-based traditions; i.e. Aikido, Iai, and Koryu-groups, etc.

thomas_james
30th June 2007, 20:16
Tino Cebreano
Leif Hermansson
Ilpo Jalamo
Edward Jardine
Julian Mead
Paul Starling
John Sullivan
Rob Zwartjes

I could find Mr. Mead, Jardine, Jalamo and Hermansson through Google. Does anyone know if and where Mr. Starling, Sullivan, Zwartjes and Cebreano are teaching?

thomas_james
30th June 2007, 20:19
As a rule, the RKHSK [Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko kai] yudansha wear hakama for formal demonstrations. Motokatsu Sensei wore Hakama always, whether teaching or demonstrating.

While hakama are rarely worn in Okinawan kobudo, they are usually the domain of Japanese-based traditions; i.e. Aikido, Iai, and Koryu-groups, etc.

Thanks for your response. How was training with OSensei Inoue? Like things he put a lot of emphasis on or special training methods? Why didn't he become the 2. president of the RKHSK, as he was Taira Shinken's best student?

Patrick McCarthy
1st July 2007, 10:31
Thanks for your response. How was training with OSensei Inoue? Like things he put a lot of emphasis on or special training methods? Why didn't he become the 2. president of the RKHSK, as he was Taira Shinken's best student?

I enjoyed my studies with the master and, in particular, I liked the way he re-systematized his Taira-based learning. It made much more sense to me than what I experienced elsewhere from other students of Taira's.

TTBOMK, Inoue Motokatsu did become the 2nd president, following the passing of Mr. Taira. As I understand it there were political issues over the position [between he and Mr. Akamine Eisuke] which resulted in him changing the name to Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko Kai.

FYI, Ilpo Jalamo is a colleague and friend of mine and represents the Inoue group in Finland. Mr. Hermansson is also a colleague and friend of mine and was close to the late Inoue Motokatsu but no longer has anything to do with the RKHSK under the direction of the later master's son, Kisho. Tino Ceberano is also a colleague and friend of mine and I know for certain that he has absolutely nothing to do with the RKHSK and does not practice or teach Inoue-based kobujutsu.

I don't actually know Mr. Sullivan but understand that he no longer has anything to do with the RKHSK. I do know Paul Starling, but don't believe that he is active in kobujutsu. Actually, having watched him practice in Japan I don't believe that he was ever was very committed to developing his kobujutsu skills anyway and would hardly think he was ever "qualified" to be in charge teaching the art of anything unless it was a political position.

I have met Eddie Jardine in Japan [and Sweden] and know that he is actively involved with the RKHSK and represents it in the RSA. I don't know Julian Mead --- only of him --- but do know that he is actively involved with the RKHSK and one of its representatives.

thomas_james
2nd July 2007, 14:59
Dear Mr. McCarthy,

many thanks for your interesting answer.

TTBOMK, Inoue Motokatsu did become the 2nd president, following the passing of Mr. Taira. As I understand it there were political issues over the position [between he and Mr. Akamine Eisuke] which resulted in him changing the name to Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko Kai.

Everybody says something different. I just knew that Akamine became second president after Taira's death and Inoue left the organisation later to build his own. I saw on the internet that you trained with Akamine Sensei as well. Was his Kobudo different?

Patrick McCarthy
2nd July 2007, 23:57
Dear Mr. McCarthy,

many thanks for your interesting answer.

Everybody says something different. I just knew that Akamine became second president after Taira's death and Inoue left the organisation later to build his own. I saw on the internet that you trained with Akamine Sensei as well. Was his Kobudo different?

Hi James,

For the record, I was not a lineage-based student of Eisuke sensei [I am a Yamane Ryu stylist], but did enjoy training at the old dojo with him on many occasions.

I thought he was a competent master, who produced many fine instructors and always had an open door policy. He was also a wonderful host everytime I visited and had a very friendly disposition.

Shikiyanaka
5th July 2007, 08:29
Hi everybody,

Mr. Rob Zwartjes lives in Holland and as far as I know he is still teaching.

Shikiyanaka
5th July 2007, 08:39
BTW, I think Taira was clever: He gave out a Hanshi certificate to Inoue Motokatsu; this is necessary within the Japanese tradition as everybody knows. This meant freedom for Inoue and it was the foundation of starting his own thing under his direction in 1982. As if Taira had known it...

Earlier, in 1976, BRD says "2. president of the organisation is Akamine Eisuke". It is said that it was Taira's wish that Akamine Eisuke became the 2. president of the organisation.

So everybody got their fair share, isn't it?

I think Taira was clever and fair. As there is no ONE way of Karate but many A way, there is no ONE person, but many A person who are right in their special way. Hard if there are two alphas... :)

Shikiyanaka
11th August 2007, 22:27
Although I do not know personally and never met any of these people, the answer to who was 2nd president of the RKHSK at the time after Taira Shinken's passing is given in the (wonderful) original Japanese "Ryûkyû Kobudô" 3 volume series published by Inoue Motokatsu in the 1970s.

In Ryûkyû Kobudô Chûkan*, published 1974, page 640 (and at different other places in the series), Inoue Motokatsu is given as

琉球古武道保存振興会 • 内地総本部長
Ryûkyû Kobudô Hozon Shinkôkai Naichi Sô-honbu-chô
Naichi denotes "within the borders of mainland Japan"
Sô-honbu-chô means "general manager; director-general"

He was the director of the Head-dôjô for Japanese mainland.

On page 644, is written a "congratulatory address" by Akamine Eisuke. The description says:
"琉球古武道保存振興会会長"
This means:
Ryûkyû Kobudô Hozon Shinkôkai Kaichô

Kaichô means:
"president (of a society); chairman"

*井上元勝: 琉球古武道中巻。東京、績文堂出版株式会社、昭和49年。Inoue Motokatsu: Ryūkyū Kobudô Chûkan. Tôkyô, Sekibundô Shuppan Kabushiki-gaisha, 1974.

Blagmeister
30th May 2008, 15:03

It is usually the case that in RKHSK [Japanese stream as opposed to the Okinawan] that a dojo teacher will wear hakama if he chooses to do so.

On occasions when you get a gathering of teachers together, normally the hakama is the reserve of the most senior teacher although he may invite other to wear theirs too.

At least that is my understanding of matters

Blagmeister
30th May 2008, 15:20
I could find Mr. Mead, Jardine, Jalamo and Hermansson through Google. Does anyone know if and where Mr. Starling, Sullivan, Zwartjes and Cebreano are teaching?

Leif Hermansson is I believe no longer officially connected with RKHSK and his role of branch chief for Sweden was taken over by Matts Andersson a few years ago.
Eddie Jardine is still branch chief of RKHSK South Africa
Paul Starling and John Sullivan are no longer involved.
Tino Ceberano is still going in Australia and is still branch chief and his son is also a very capable martial artist.
And just for the record Shane Higashi is still branch chief for Canada.

HTH

P.S.

Patrick McCarthy
13th June 2008, 03:52
Leif Hermansson is I believe no longer officially connected with RKHSK and his role of branch chief for Sweden was taken over by Matts Andersson a few years ago.
Eddie Jardine is still branch chief of RKHSK South Africa
Paul Starling and John Sullivan are no longer involved.
Tino Ceberano is still going in Australia and is still branch chief and his son is also a very capable martial artist.
And just for the record Shane Higashi is still branch chief for Canada.

HTH

P.S.

FYI, Tino Cebrano is here in Oz but has nothing to do with the Inoue-based group...hasn't for years [nor is he connected with the Yamaguchi-family, either].

Blagmeister
29th September 2008, 12:21
FYI, Tino Cebrano is here in Oz but has nothing to do with the Inoue-based group...hasn't for years [nor is he connected with the Yamaguchi-family, either].

Dear Mr McCarthy

Thanks for updating me as to the current situation. I was merely going by the fact that Mr Ceberano had invited an old friend over to teach in Oz last year, who is still connected to the group concerned. I stand corrected.

Kind regards

PS

Patrick McCarthy
29th September 2008, 23:29
No worries mate

Happy to help.

Maarten
18th February 2009, 01:40
Last year, 2008, I met shihan Rob Zwartjes at the Inoue-seminar in The Netherlands and watched him practice the bo-kata Shirotaru no Kon (sho of dai, I don't remember). He said he wanted to have this kata checked by hanshi Inoue. At least he is still active, although he must be about seventy years, or older. I can't tell you if he is still teaching.

Maarten van Bloois