PDA

View Full Version : Yabiku Moden Bojutsu

Robby Bray
20th June 2007, 15:17
Who was Yabiku Moden's Bojutsu most influenced by? Tawata Pechin or Chinen Sanda? Or perhaps someone else? Thanks for any info.

Shikiyanaka
26th June 2007, 11:41
He did a lot of Bôjutsu. Go to www.ryukyu-kobudo.com/kata/kata_system.htm

I think there is a list of the Kata and the accompanying persons who passed them on.

Robby Bray
28th June 2007, 14:09
Thanks for the information. I have that same list that is on the Hozon SHinko Kai's site. What I am trying to find however would be the where Yabiku Moden learned the kata from or who passed the tech down to him. I don't think Matayoshi Shinko trained from either of them so this would explain the difference between Ryu Kyu Kobudo and Matayoshi kobudo.

Shikiyanaka
29th June 2007, 08:14
Dear Robby,

no direct connection to Matayoshi style. They just went a different way, different experiences etc.

Although Mr. Yabiku Moden has been kind of sacrificed just for having been known (the more known you are, the less secrets you may have), he was simply put - not a genius - but a fantastic "sportsman" and had access to some of the most prominent Kobudo masters of the time.

He gathered Kata which - without him - would have been lost forever. He also gathered Kata which were also traditioned by other styles.

He was one of the first people who used the term "kobujutsu" in Japan, I guess.

Sai-Kata:
Tawada Shinboku (1814-1884) was a student of Matsumura Sōkon (1806-1895). Mabuni Kenwa (1889-1952) and Yabiku Mōden (1878-1945) are said to have learned under him directly, but this seems not possible according to the given life dates. Possibly the teacher of Mabuni and Yabuki was Tawada Shinjū 多和田真重, described as the son of Tawada Shinboku.

Kanagusuku Sanda (1841-1926) was of Ufuchiku-rank, a term comparable today to a leading police officer or kind of Inspector. He lived in Gibu, a part of the area of Naha and Shuri. In fact Kanagusuku Sanda was a protegé of Bushi Matsumura, student of Itosu Ankō and especially versed in Saijutsu.
He became security boss of the final Shō-Dynasty of King Shō Tai (1848-79). In Shuri he met the castle guard family of Kogusuku (Kojō): think about the tradition of Kojo no Sai - Yabiku Mōden was one of Kanagusuku‘s students.