PDA

View Full Version : Kosen Judo in/around Hiroshima

Mark Tankosich
25th June 2007, 07:59
Hi,

I'm a karate guy who doesn't usually venture this way, but I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me.

I've just recently found about the existence of Kosen Judo, and I'm really interested in studying it. Problem is, I can't seem to find anyone doing it here (in Hiroshima). Anybody have any knowledge and/or contacts?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Jonesy
25th June 2007, 22:32
I am drawing from material posted on the Judo Information Site to place your question in context.

Kosen Judo is just Kodokan Judo with more time dedicated to newaza. Moreover, it originates from schoolboy judo.

The whole issue of Kosen Judo is a massive red herring and its significance both within judo, as well as any influence it may have had outside of judo, has been significantly inflated due to recent interest in ground fighting emerging from MMA/BJJ etc.. If you are looking to see if Kosen Judo exists independent of Kodokan Judo you will be disappointed as it does not.

The origins of what is known as Kosen Judo are as follows.

Judo was introduced to the Japanese school system in 1914. The judo syllabus for the middle school was almost entirely ne-waza in order to minimize injuries. By secondary or high school, more tachi-waza was added and at the college or university level, the ratio was more like 50/50 tachi-waza to ne-waza.

The so-called Kosen Judo rules differed from Kodokan Judo rules in that matches were allowed to continue in ne-waza even if no progress in technique was evident, but the techniques used are the same.

Kosen is derived from Koto Senmongakko

Koto 高等 = High grade
Senmongakko 専門学校 = Vocational school or Polytechnic

Koto senmongakko = Vocational High School

My advice is find a good judo dojo with a sensei who devotes time to newaza.

Mark Tankosich
26th June 2007, 00:55
I am drawing from material posted on the Judo Information Site to place your question in context.

Kosen Judo is just Kodokan Judo with more time dedicated to newaza. Moreover, it originates from schoolboy judo.

The whole issue of Kosen Judo is a massive red herring and its significance both within judo, as well as any influence it may have had outside of judo, has been significantly inflated due to recent interest in ground fighting emerging from MMA/BJJ etc.. If you are looking to see if Kosen Judo exists independent of Kodokan Judo you will be disappointed as it does not.

The origins of what is known as Kosen Judo are as follows.

Judo was introduced to the Japanese school system in 1914. The judo syllabus for the middle school was almost entirely ne-waza in order to minimize injuries. By secondary or high school, more tachi-waza was added and at the college or university level, the ratio was more like 50/50 tachi-waza to ne-waza.

The so-called Kosen Judo rules differed from Kodokan Judo rules in that matches were allowed to continue in ne-waza even if no progress in technique was evident, but the techniques used are the same.

Koto 高等 = High grade

Koto senmongakko = Vocational High School

My advice is find a good judo dojo with a sensei who devotes time to newaza.

Thank you for your reply. I was aware of the history of Kosen Judo and the derivation of the word Kosen, as I had done a bit of previous research.

Actually, that previous research led me to believe that there was a certain amount of independence to Kosen. For instance, I've found 高専柔道 clubs in some universities on Yahoo Japan. And while I know Wickopedia can be questionable, I found statements like this there:

"Kosen judo is a form of judo adopted by the major Japanese high schools and technical schools during the Meiji era (1868 - 1914). Today it is still practised at university clubs in Japan. Kosen judo emphasizes newaza (ground techniques) such as controls, joint locks and strangles more than the most common type of judo, Kodokan judo, does."

Judging from your backround, you likely know what you're talking about, which leaves me feeling pessimistic..... But I'll keep checking around. Anyone else have any info?

MikeWilliams
26th June 2007, 09:33
My understanding matches Jonsey's (although i'm willing to be persuaded otherwise). Kosen being a training style and rule-set favoured in certain schools and universities, rather than a putative offshoot of Kodokan Judo. I'm willing to be proven wrong though.

There is quite a bit of BJJ in Japan now - I suspect you'll find more of it than Kosen.

Pareastra has an affiliated school in Hiroshima I believe - which should teach a mix of MMA and BJJ. I would check them out. :)

Brian Griffin
26th June 2007, 12:33
No disagreement, just a couple of minor quibbles, in keeping with my pedantic nature :)

The so-called Kosen Judo rules differed from Kodokan Judo rules in that matches were allowed to continue in ne-waza even if no progress in technique was evident, but the techniques used are the same.The most important difference was the so-called "Kosen Rule" that permitted you to enter directly into newaza without first applying tachiwaza. In other words, they explicitly permitted "drag-downs" as well as tactics like walking into the center of the mat and sitting or lying down, before coming to grips. This was the rule that Kano later changed.

Koto 高等 = High grade

Koto senmongakko = Vocational High SchoolVery close.
It's actually a contraction of:

Koutougakkou 高等学校 = High School
PLUS
Senmongakkou 専門学校 = Technical or Professional College
EQUALS
Koutousenmongakkou 高等専門学校 = High Schools & Universities i.e. "Scholastic," in this case referring to what we might label an Interscholastic Judo League.

My advice is find a good judo dojo with a sensei who devotes time to newaza.Amen. Preach it, Brother!

Mark Tankosich
27th June 2007, 06:32
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate your comments.

Mark