PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, AK47

John Lindsey
7th July 2007, 02:34
Mikhail Kalashnikov Helps Celebrate The 60th Anniversary Of The AK-47
MOSCOW, RUSSIA - JULY 6: 87-year-old Russian weapon designer Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of the world famous AK-47 assault rifle, attends a ceremony to celebrate the rifle's 60th anniversary on July 6, 2007 in Moscow, Russia. President Putin hailed the AK-47 automatic rifle yesterday as a symbol of Russia's "creative genius" as well as calling for a battle against makers of counterfeit AK-47s, which deprives Russia of an estimated two billion dollars (1.47 billion euros) each year. (Photo by Dima Korotayev/Epsilon/Getty Images)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/FW200/75096710.jpg

Woody
7th July 2007, 02:59
I shot one of those for the first time this last Father's Day weekend. Nice weapon. Kinda like a Harley.

jest
12th July 2007, 14:30
This reminds me of that scene in Red Heat where Arnie and Jim exchange watches... Except of course that Stoner's getting the better deal in this picture!

swordedsaint
21st July 2007, 02:37
dependable weapon...fun to shoot...put a good red dot on it and your good to go...

X_plosion
23rd July 2007, 04:09
Mr. Kalashnikov truly designed a classic weapon. It's bound to sit up there (if it isn't already), with the Springfield 1911, the Garand and the 45 ACP.

aikihazen
24th July 2007, 23:31
"Stolen Revenues" LOL. The AK47 was a dumbed down carbon copy of the MP43 the worlds first Assault Rifle made by Germany during WWII.

The most amazing AK's I ever played with were of ChiCom Manufacture "liberated" more than likely during Vietnam. The Trigger Assembly was held together with bailing wire and had a receiver made out of stamped medal. During Weapons Demo's I would bury one... Have one of the students dig it up... clear it.. and cap off some rounds...It never misfired.

Those AK's were almost indestrutible...

George Kohler
25th July 2007, 02:28
The most amazing AK's I ever played with were of ChiCom Manufacture "liberated" more than likely during Vietnam...

Those AK's were almost indestrutible...

I remember the first time I played with the AK series, RPK, PK, and SVD... Bill, do you remember the ones you helped "liberate" from the Cubans? :)

They were ok. I wasn't too impressed with them. In the end I was happy with what I was issued; my 90mm recoiless rifle and the CAR-15 (now called the M4).

aikihazen
25th July 2007, 04:03
I remember the first time I played with the AK series, RPK, PK, and SVD... Bill, do you remember the ones you helped "liberate" from the Cubans? :)

They were ok. I wasn't too impressed with them. In the end I was happy with what I was issued; my 90mm recoiless rifle and the CAR-15 (now called the M4).

Sorry George I missed the boat on Urgent Fury by 4 months (I was Back at Bragg for Reserve Phase 1). I watched all my Ranger Buddies on TV and saw Steve on Ronnies State of the Union Address the next year.

George Kohler
25th July 2007, 04:17
Sorry George I missed the boat on Urgent Fury by 4 months (I was Back at Bragg for Reserve Phase 1). I watched all my Ranger Buddies on TV and saw Steve on Ronnies State of the Union Address the next year.

Sorry, I thought you were there. I was in 9th grade and remember John Lindsey not being happy because he just got out not long before (year or two). I heard about Steve being being at the address. I wish there was a picture somewhere.

aikihazen
25th July 2007, 19:43
Sorry, I thought you were there. I was in 9th grade and remember John Lindsey not being happy because he just got out not long before (year or two). I heard about Steve being being at the address. I wish there was a picture somewhere.

No Worries Brother George :) John was a member of the Spec4 Mafia when I was a noob and he was in another company but I remember him. :)

aikihazen
3rd August 2007, 21:02
Here a good article on the AK by my favorite Geek Pirate Webguys "The Register"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/03/ak_47_60_years/

William Hazen