PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Dojo

morpheus
13th July 2007, 19:48
It seems that there are very few traditional Japanese and Okinawan karate dojo in the US. I had always assumed these were pretty common but after searching around on the internet it seems I was way off base.

What are some of the legitmate traditional ryu that are represented in the US.

Mind you I know very little about karate and if I am way off base please feel free to set me straight. :)

thanks
Jeff

ZachZinn
13th July 2007, 20:12
It seems that there are very few traditional Japanese and Okinawan karate dojo in the US. I had always assumed these were pretty common but after searching around on the internet it seems I was way off base.

What are some of the legitmate traditional ryu that are represented in the US.

Mind you I know very little about karate and if I am way off base please feel free to set me straight. :)

thanks
Jeff

Depends on your definition of traditional I suppose.

If you mean people that have direct lineage to someone within a tradiitonal Okinawan or Japanese ryu than i'd have to say you're mistaken, as there are plenty of those.

ryukyu2000
14th July 2007, 03:57
Jeff-san:

If you are looking in the KY area, I would strongly recommend that you touch base with Devorah Yushiko Davenport Sensei and Doug Dalton Sense (one of the ebudo moderators) since they have trained and instructed in traditional karate and kobudo in KY for years and years. I am sure they will be able to provide you with guidance.

Andy Morris
Delmar, NY USA