PDA

View Full Version : Total new guy questions

Casey Raiford
15th July 2007, 05:35
Hi folks, I've been looking around and found a good deal of info but I still have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with.

I've practiced Shorinji Kempo for a few years but unfortunately I had to drop out of it, mainly because of the 1 hour plus commute to my dojo. I really, really enjoyed SK. It was the first martial art I had ever studied (I was in my late 30s when I took it up) but have been athletic all my life. I responded well to the discipline, the spirit of it and the inner calm it offered.

Yeah, I know, that's a lot to share right off the bat, but please bear with me. I've been looking around for another school lately nearby, but mostly there are just McDojos that teach a style which includes the owners name. Waza Jackson Ryu Do and that sort of thing. Lots of patches, purple dogi...you get the idea.

So I started looking at kendo, not because I've been watching Blade a lot, just for the tradition, focus and discipline. So at long last here are my questions:

- do you think I'm on the right track here or should I look at some other style?

- there are a couple of places *relatively* nearby, namely Washington Kendo Club (Dr. Bill Dvorine) and Shidogakuin Washington DC (Washinkan) Kendo Dojo. Any opinions on either one?

Depending on what feed back you can offer, I plan to watch a practice start to finish, talk to the staff/instructors/sensei to see if it's right for me...basically due diligence.

I really, really appreciate any info and guidance you can provide, thanks in advance.

JAnstey
15th July 2007, 06:23
Hi Casey

Sounds like you have got the right idea, See if you can get to watch or participate in an Iaido and or Jodo class to open up your exposure to what may suit you for a long term discipline - these arts work well with or without Kendo.

Cheers

Jason

Casey Raiford
15th July 2007, 15:45
Thanks much Jason, that helps.

Gonna run off and wiki those right now in fact.

Michael Hodge
15th July 2007, 16:15
I've practiced Shorinji Kempo for a few years but unfortunately I had to drop out of it, mainly because of the 1 hour plus commute to my dojo.

Only one hour? I've been doing that for years! :)

Michael Hodge

socho
15th July 2007, 18:33
there is a fairly active kendo community in the DC area. You might also check out the http://www.capitalareabudokai.org/. In addition to our kendo group, we have classes in jodo, iaido/batto, naginata-do and kyudo. Each group is led by a different instructor, all affliliated with their higher federations in Japan and the US.
We just hosted an event called swordfest yesterday at the dojo. Each group (except kyudo) demo-ed their art, along with a number of visiting groups (12 total) . Arts ranged from Bujinkan to Yagyu Shinkage Ryu (two different lines!), and even some European historical fencing and some Chinese sword. There was also a good presentation on Japanese sword appreciation by a well-known and highly respected collector/scholar, and several vendor tables full of sword-related goodies. All followed by a cook-out at a member's home. It was a great day.
Anyway, to get back to the question, kendo may or may not be what you are looking for, but it is certainly worth checking out.
Good luck,

Dave

Casey Raiford
15th July 2007, 18:51
We just hosted an event called swordfest yesterday at the dojo. Each group (except kyudo) demo-ed their art, along with a number of visiting groups (12 total)...

Crap. That's my usual impeccable timing. Safe to assume this is an annual event at most?

Thanks for the info, Dave, I'll be looking around that site.

raif
(the artist currently known as Master Chief)

socho
15th July 2007, 22:10
(the artist currently known as Master Chief)

hey, nice sig :)

Dave

gendzwil
15th July 2007, 22:48
I've practiced with the Shidogakuin crew a few times and can recommend them. They mostly practice in Rockford, IIRC.

There's also clubs at GW and GMU, unless things have changed lately.

socho
15th July 2007, 23:29
I've practiced with the Shidogakuin crew a few times and can recommend them. They mostly practice in Rockford, IIRC.

There's also clubs at GW and GMU, unless things have changed lately.
What used to be the GMU club grew and morphed into the Northern VA Kendo club, which is part of (actually founder of) the Capital Area Budokai.

Dave

Casey Raiford
16th July 2007, 13:08
Seems like all of the clubs are concentrated on the far side of DC from me. I'll probably check out the dojo in Columbia, MD, which is far more practical.

Thanks for all the info!

Charles Mahan
16th July 2007, 17:05
I don't see it mentioned. There is an MJER dojo in Woodbridge, Va that you might want to consider as well. http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/

gendzwil
16th July 2007, 18:25
I believe he was looking for kendo.

Charles Mahan
16th July 2007, 18:43
His original post said that he turned to Kendo to get away from McDojos. He didn't seem closed to the idea of koryu sword arts.