PDA

View Full Version : KATA: Chinto

Doug Daulton
31st December 2000, 17:51
This thread is dedicated to the research and study of the theoretical and practical applications of the kata Chinto in its various derivations throughout the Okinawan karate ryuha.

Discussion of Japanese and Western interpretations of this kata are welcome as are discussions of the influence of Chinese martial arts on the origin/development of this kata. Practitioners of all levels and backgrounds are welcome to post. Though the free sharing of ideas, perhaps we can all learn a bit more about the kata.

Please avoid statements like "My teacher, XYZ Sensei, knew the one, true Kata X ... all else is bunk." or the Saturday cinema classic "My kungfu is better than yours". Even if you are right .. it is rude and most likely something your teacher would rather you did not say anyway. All E-budo rules apply.

Enjoy! :D

kusanku
1st January 2001, 02:15
Chinto kata was created by the Devil hiself:D.
It will make you cry to learn this kata, but once you lean it, it is easily done.

It is a spinning throwing and evasion kata, aiki supreme.The ppoint kicks and strikes in betweeen facilitate the techniques rahter than inish them making it the Yin to Gojushiho's Yang.

These last four katas are very advnced, no light stuff here.

Kusanku

Victor
1st January 2001, 04:30
There are no devils in Chinto, just a lot of the same turning energy as in Baguazhang.

The applications flow from Aikido, Baguazhang, Tjimande and Tai Chi Chaun directly into Chinto.

The act of turning can be a weapon in itself.

Chinto can be used to re-direct the force of an attack, or to move you away from your attacker and then double back into them.

Most impressively the utilization of Shearing Force can slice right through an opponent's attack.

While these energies can be found in all kata, Chinto is almost alone, although a very strong case can be made for Seipai (Goju) touching the same energies..

When done with care and skill, everything falls before Chinto's might!

O'yes I must hasten to add, I'm somewhat of a Chinto fan.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu
http://www.funkydragon.com/bushi