PDA

View Full Version : Moving Zen, Karate as a way of Gentleness

pyro940
18th July 2007, 16:47
Hi all,

Just a quick note on the book “Moving Zen, Karate as a way of Gentleness” by C.W.Nicol.

I have always loved this book, it is one I have read and re-read numerous times. I bought my copy back in the mid 80’s when I was training in Wado Ryu.

I did a quick “Wiki” search on Mr. Nicol which states he has return to live in Japan; he still trains and is also an environmental activist.

Has anyone here any opinions on this book, or had any dealings with Mr. Nicol?

Regards,

Philip Stanley

don
18th July 2007, 20:09
I did a quick “Wiki” search on Mr. Nicol which states he has return to live in Japan; he still trains and is also an environmental activist.

Has anyone here any opinions on this book, or had any dealings with Mr. Nicol?Enjoyed the book when I read it in (jr?) high school. When I lived in Jp, you'd see him on tv commercials. I seem to recall him being a vocal advocate of whaling. Built himself a log cabin which he lives in, IIRC.

pyro940
18th July 2007, 22:14
So maybe not as green as "Wiki" made out!

Or maybe that is just a cultural view point?

Philip Stanley

don
19th July 2007, 16:01
So maybe not as green as "Wiki" made out!

Or maybe that is just a cultural view point?
In my experience, you can talk reasonably with Jpn about Hiroshima or Nagasaki but not about whaling. Whaling represents raw Western racism to them and they will go red in the face when the subject arises.

Actually, I vaguely recall Nicol speaking out on behalf of some green issues in Japan, but it's too long ago now to remember substance. Shouldn't be hard to find info, though.