PDA

View Full Version : Senior US practioners

morpheus
20th July 2007, 15:19
In koryu circles there are a number of names that were important in opening the doors to non Japanese students: Donn Draeger, Phil Relnick, Quentin Chambers and the such. Who are those people who played an important part in gaining access for others in Ryukyu Kobudo?

thanks
Jeff

GojuMaster
20th July 2007, 21:52
Kimo Wall is one of the earliest Americans to promote Matayoshi Kobudo in the USA.

http://www.kimowall.netfirms.com/

TimJurgens
21st July 2007, 03:19
Thanks to the efforts of many of the earliest Karate ka and Kobudo sei the barriers to foreigners were fairly well breached by the late 60's and early 70's.

Devora (Yoshiko) Dometrich Sensei was one of the earliest foreigners to train in Kobudo from Akamine Esuke Sensei. Nagaishi Sensei was also here I believe in the 60's when he was here in the service.

Because of people like them other faces showing up at the door and asking to train were not so strange. The earlier karate generations such as Sensei Triest (spelling?) with his training in Shuri Te really proved that people could be ernest in their training no matter the problems with communication or different culture. The Okinawan sensei talk to each other and good foreign students in one dojo would soften any resistance in other dojos. I am sure it still wasn't easy to be the only foreign student when no one spoke English, but the hearts of the Okinawans are good and as long as somone is willing to train hard then they are willing to teach.

I was introduced by Don Shapland. So was Paul Vermiglio. Don was in some ways introduced by Pat McArthy. Dometrich Sensei introduced the vanHeerdens. Chris Nesbit was part of the dojo before the rest of us. Not sure how Perry Campbell was introduced.

morpheus
22nd July 2007, 22:57
Thanks for the responses. I have been in correspondence with Dometrich Sensei!

Jeff

Shorin Ryuu
27th August 2007, 07:23
Devora (Yoshiko) Dometrich Sensei was one of the earliest foreigners to train in Kobudo from Akamine Esuke Sensei. Nagaishi Sensei was also here I believe in the 60's when he was here in the service.

Correct. Nagaishi Sensei was quite the facilitator for many Americans to train with various people. He was on Okinawa from 1950 until 1988, when he moved back to Hawaii. However, he moved to Okinawa after his service ended, so he was just working for the US government when he was there. His weapons training began with the sai and bo master Shinei Kyan in 1963. Upon meeting Taira Shinken Sensei in 1965, he started private lessons with Taira Sensei at his house until Taira Sensei passed away in 1970. Afterwards, Nagaishi Sensei joined the Ryukyu Kobudo Hozon Shinkokai and aided Akamine Sensei in spreading the art of Taira Sensei's kobudo.

Hank Irwin
3rd September 2007, 05:24
Roy Osborne Sensei of Okinawan Shorinji-ryu also.