PDA

View Full Version : I dont know what to do

Jeff_v20
21st July 2007, 06:55
I have always wanted to learn martial arts, it has always been a strong burning passion inside of me ever since i was about 10 years old, however i might as well give up, i come from a poor family and i could never afford lessons, but i want to learn so bad. if there is any way i could learn any form of martial arts (preferably Japanese based) i would do anything to do so

Adam Westphal
21st July 2007, 08:00
Whosoever desires to explore The Way --
Let them set out -- for what more is there to say?

http://www.adamjiro.net/blog/2007/03/si-morgh.html

ScottUK
21st July 2007, 11:05
I have always wanted to learn martial arts, it has always been a strong burning passion inside of me ever since i was about 10 years old, however i might as well give up, i come from a poor family and i could never afford lessons, but i want to learn so bad. if there is any way i could learn any form of martial arts (preferably Japanese based) i would do anything to do soSt. Louis Kendo Dojo?

Karl Kelley
(314) 351-9743
katokhan2@cs.com

I don't think 20 miles is too far to travel for instruction, eh?

Bruce Mitchell
23rd July 2007, 19:30
I have always wanted to learn martial arts, it has always been a strong burning passion inside of me ever since i was about 10 years old, however i might as well give up, i come from a poor family and i could never afford lessons, but i want to learn so bad. if there is any way i could learn any form of martial arts (preferably Japanese based) i would do anything to do so

I appreciate the sentiment in your post, if you really mean what you say (that you would do anything), I have some honest, down-to-earth advice for you. First, you're what 17? 18? Finish your eductaion. Finish high school if you haven't already, then find some way to go to college, even if it means going to a junior college part-time and working. Try to get into a fulltime university. That might be enough right there, many universities have martial arts clubs.

Once you finish school, get a good job. If you still haven't found what you're looking for, then do a web serarch and find a city with a dojo with a great reputation and move there. Find a good job, get a place to live, then join the dojo.

Ultimately, being a good martial artist is about being a good member of society, so the education and job thing are as important as finding a dojo and training hard. Your priorities (in order of importance) should be 1) Family, 2) Work, 3) Budo. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is good, solid advice.

Aozora
27th July 2007, 15:47
Ultimately, being a good martial artist is about being a good member of society, so the education and job thing are as important as finding a dojo and training hard. Your priorities (in order of importance) should be 1) Family, 2) Work, 3) Budo. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is good, solid advice.

I'd echo what Bruce says. A friend of mine is fond of saying "martial arts has been around forever and it'll be there when I'm ready for it."

I have a similar tale to yours, and din't get to begin studying until I was 24. 9 years later, I'm glad I stuck with it and even that I started late--my folks moved around a lot when I was grwoing up, so I would have had to leave each martial art after a couple years or so. When I started on my own, I was able to take them on my own terms and now I co-own a dojo and run an iaido program for our school.

Take your time. Get your priorities in line so that you're able to to take martial arts sustainably for the rest of your life. It's worth the wait.

Mark Murray
28th July 2007, 02:28
Jeff,
Please post your full name in every post. It's a rule here on E-Budo. You can edit your signature to do that automatically.

Thank you,
Mark

Jeff_v20
6th August 2007, 05:56
i apreciate your advice about martal arts, and i will take what you say to heart, i am glad i was able to get some useful info out of it, and i understand that there are other priorities that come before budo, i believe that i will strive to find a dojo that sutes me, i dont know if i can afford to go to collage, but. i have always wanted to beable to learn

Jeff_v20
6th August 2007, 05:59
i forgot to post my full name, sorry moderator guy

Jeff Villeret

Bruce Mitchell
6th August 2007, 18:37
i apreciate your advice about martal arts, and i will take what you say to heart, i am glad i was able to get some useful info out of it, and i understand that there are other priorities that come before budo, i believe that i will strive to find a dojo that sutes me, i dont know if i can afford to go to collage, but. i have always wanted to beable to learn

Mr. Villeret,
I want to encourage you to search really hard for financial aid/educational loans to go to school. There are a lot more resources out there than most young people are aware of. Often times community/junior colleges have people that you can talk to and will help you get access to financial aid. There are also work study programs. If nothing else, many community/junior colleges are affordable if you work part-time while you are in school

As far as looking for a dojo, I would also recommend that you search your local community centers for martial arts classes. As many members here can give testiment to, you would be suprised at how many top level teachers have classes at these types of places, and tuition is often a fraction of the cost of a full time dojo. For example, I study naginata with the highest ranked teacher outside of Japan, at a community center, and my monthly tuition is between $35-$45 per month. By comparison, in the San Francisco Area, the average dojo charges $80-$120 per month.

Best of luck in your search.

Joseph Svinth
7th August 2007, 03:16
Many, probably most, colleges and junior colleges, offer martial art instruction through their intramural programs, and UCLA, University of Georgia, and University of Guelph even host legitimate schools of koryu swordsmanship. No foreign language requirements, either.

MikeWilliams
7th August 2007, 10:44
Judo is often cheap and easily available. So is boxing. And if you're still at high school, what about trying to get on the wrestling team if they have one?

Only one of those is Japanese, but they're all martial arts (*opens can o' worms*) - and at least will develop some useful physical attributes that will come in handy once you are able to afford to practise the MA of your choice.

Explore everything your school and local community centre has to offer, you might be surprised at what you find.

Brian Owens
21st August 2007, 08:40
If I may throw in my 2 cent's worth:

Finish high school if you haven't already, and then -- assuming you are not medically disqualified (or a felon or something) -- enlist in the US Air Force.

You'll get a good technical education that can lead to a good job after your enlisment, and you might even want to make a career out of the Air Force.

Next, you'll get a chance to travel. After a couple of years stateside you can get posted to Japan or Okinawa, and know that you'll be settled in for at least a year and more likely two or more. That's enough time to get a good foundation in a traditional martial art in the homeland. You'll also be able to pick up the language if you put your mind to it.

After your service, you'll have some money available to continue in college if that's what you want, at least four years' experience on your resume' for job hunting, a firm martial arts foundation to take into a stateside dojo, etc.

I highly recommend it.

urbalte
12th September 2007, 04:50
If I may throw in my 2 cent's worth:

Finish high school if you haven't already, and then -- assuming you are not medically disqualified (or a felon or something) -- enlist in the US Air Force.

You'll get a good technical education that can lead to a good job after your enlisment, and you might even want to make a career out of the Air Force.

Next, you'll get a chance to travel. After a couple of years stateside you can get posted to Japan or Okinawa, and know that you'll be settled in for at least a year and more likely two or more. That's enough time to get a good foundation in a traditional martial art in the homeland. You'll also be able to pick up the language if you put your mind to it.

After your service, you'll have some money available to continue in college if that's what you want, at least four years' experience on your resume' for job hunting, a firm martial arts foundation to take into a stateside dojo, etc.

I highly recommend it.

Navy's better. :p