PDA

View Full Version : KATA: Ananku

Doug Daulton
31st December 2000, 17:58
This thread is dedicated to the research and study of the theoretical and practical applications of the kata Ananku in its various derivations throughout the Okinawan karate ryuha.

Discussion of Japanese and Western interpretations of this kata are welcome as are discussions of the influence of Chinese martial arts on the origin/development of this kata. Practitioners of all levels and backgrounds are welcome to post. Though the free sharing of ideas, perhaps we can all learn a bit more about the kata.

Please avoid statements like "My teacher, XYZ Sensei, knew the one, true Kata X ... all else is bunk." or the Saturday cinema classic "My kungfu is better than yours". Even if you are right .. it is rude and most likely something your teacher would rather you did not say anyway. All E-budo rules apply.

Enjoy! :D

kusanku
31st December 2000, 23:17
Ananku; Light from the South.What these kata represent is techinques performed around all four corners of a room.

Featuring the zenkutsu dachi as most Shorin kata do not, the ananku provides a squared circle of combat, shwing locking and striking techniques using weight -shifting and stance shifting to impart momentum , power and 'weight'to the waza.

Careful study of footwork is necesry here, as the basis of more advanced work begins with Ananku, first kata after Naihanchi in Matsubayashi ryu, first of what one could call the four intermediate kata of ananku, wankan, rohai and wanshu.. Everything you learned in the first katas is needed here and more. This form looks simple but do not be fooled into thinking it is.

Kusanku

amueller
31st December 2004, 10:20
I posted this already in the Karate forum but may be this is the proper thread for my questions:

Let's take a look at Ananku, page 165 of the Nagamine book, movement 4+5:

Movement 4 is crossing both arms at jodan level and simultaneously raising the right foot. From the photo it seems to be a kick to inside like in Naihanchi. Then in movement 5 the stance is jigotai dachi and both arms form gedan uke.

Now when I check the explanation of movement 5 at page 84/85 (picture 9), it states "The block is used to block kicks coming from both sides at once.".

Is that really the bunkai or is there more, e.g. movement 4 is grabbing the opponent incl. kicking into the knee and movement 5 is pulling him down? The explanation of blocking 2 kicks seems not very realistic to me.

Happy New Year!

Andreas

Victor Smith
10th January 2005, 02:36
Hi Andraes,

The version of Annaku I practice and teach is in a different lineage than the Nagamine's version.

I can understand how someone would think of the Ninahchi leg checks/kicking motinons.

I'd like to suggest a technique flow derivative analysis of photo's 3, 4 and 5.

1. Let's consider it against an attack which might be a double shoulder grab, or a double neck grab.

The response would be to cross grab the attackers wrists from underneath, the kick into their lead leg to break their balance and then the double low block actually being used as a pull down to place them on the ground.

But it could also work against other attacks. Lets take someone jabbing at your face with their right, and their right foot forward, trying to drive you back.

In photo 4, the left hand may be a cross body parry and grab, as the right hand is striking into their forearm, the same moment the lead foot is smacking agianst their knee.

Then unbalanced, complete the take down by pulling them down.

I think you may want to investigate those possibilities.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

amueller
10th January 2005, 06:48
Originally posted by Victor Smith
1. Let's consider it against an attack which might be a double shoulder grab, or a double neck grab.

The response would be to cross grab the attackers wrists from underneath, the kick into their lead leg to break their balance and then the double low block actually being used as a pull down to place them on the ground.

But it could also work against other attacks. Lets take someone jabbing at your face with their right, and their right foot forward, trying to drive you back.

In photo 4, the left hand may be a cross body parry and grab, as the right hand is striking into their forearm, the same moment the lead foot is smacking agianst their knee.

Then unbalanced, complete the take down by pulling them down.

Hi Victor,

thanks for your reply. Yes, your considerations above is what comes to mind. Another example: cross the jodan blocks in the opponents neck and just pulling him on my hiza keri knee. I'm sure there a couple of other possibilities for applications of these movements.

Anyway, what I want to know is the version Nagamine taught. Does anybody know that version?

Andreas