PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Shodog
27th July 2007, 11:57
I'm needing some guidance in purchasing an insurance policy for a martial arts school.

What are the typical pitfalls, costs, risks, what do I look/ask for in a policy, etc.

I have recently opened a "club" (not a commercial school), but the location I'm at (which covers us) is probably not going to work out and I'm going to have to go out on my own. If this becomes the case, I'm assuming I'll need some coverage before a community center or other venue will even talk to me....is this a correct assumption.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Jim

Robert Wolfe
29th July 2007, 17:37
If you teach from a community center or YMCA, you'll likely still be covered by the host's insurance -- but it would be smart to be certain of the coverage and fill-in any obvious gaps with your own policy.

Heading out on your own, you'll find many insurance companies to choose from. Checking around the available commericial policies, most are pretty similar in terms of what is covered and the costs. Rates are calculated on the number of active students, with a minimum premium of about $450 per year.

zasshu
29th August 2007, 17:04
Check first with your own art. Often there is an org you can join that will cover your students, doing your art. Often this coverage extendt to travel to and from (sanctioned) events. For example the Americian Judo & Jujitsu Federation oversees Danzan Ryu jujitsu students throught the J. Allen Flood Co.
Training group or super sized McDojo you need insurance.
Good Luck !