PDA

View Full Version : KATA: Pinan I - V

Doug Daulton
31st December 2000, 18:05
This thread is dedicated to the research and study of the theoretical and practical applications of the Pinan kata in their various derivations throughout the Okinawan karate ryuha.

Discussion of Japanese and Western interpretations of this kata are welcome as are discussions of the influence of Chinese martial arts on the origin/development of this kata. Practitioners of all levels and backgrounds are welcome to post. Though the free sharing of ideas, perhaps we can all learn a bit more about the kata.

Please avoid statements like "My teacher, XYZ Sensei, knew the one, true Kata X ... all else is bunk." or the Saturday cinema classic "My kungfu is better than yours". Even if you are right .. it is rude and most likely something your teacher would rather you did not say anyway. All E-budo rules apply.

Enjoy! :D

waza22
31st December 2000, 20:15
Mr. Daulton,

My, my............. You like to load the plate don't you.

I would like to thank-you in advance for making it even harder to keep up with this forum. Domo.

Pinnan kata, I know a version of these kata, but I usually only teach them when I am teaching children. My adults learn some of them through-out their training as needed ie one may learn Shodan while another may benefit more from Sandan it depends on the student and what they are having trouble with. In other words I use them more as a training drill for certain types of taisabaki or hand changes.

The only ones that learn all of them in great detail are the ones that are going to teach children. I know this isn't a great deal about the kata themselves but just wanted to share my perspective on them.

Good day gentlemen.

Regards,
William D. Gray

kusanku
31st December 2000, 22:46
Know twos styles Pinan and also Heian in Shotokan.

Modern Shotokan would not exist without the Pinan, Kenpo uses them as later additions and not the most necessary karta, and Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu makes use of them in between the fukyu and naihanchi forms.

All three styles agree that these kata are for teaching basics: Steps, stances, tai sabaki, and self defense from a medium range grab and so forth.

I ike the matsubayashi ryu Pinans and what I hear of the matsuura pinans because of what is mentioned by Mr. Gray above, that is the tai sabaki and ease of teaching these kata to younger students.

In addition they are fines excercise, and taken as a series, provide a reasonable workout in a short time.Most basic tehniques and movements are included therein.

I tend to enjoy practicing the Matsubayashi versions in their normal sequence, the progression of kata in that system is quite logical and evolutionary.

The Pinans seem to be taken mostly from the kata Yara Kusanku.Thus if one masters Pinan kata mastering Yara or other Kusanku/Kanku kata, is much easier than it otherwise would prove to be.

Applications from Pinann kata are quite varied, just as the techniques themselves of the five pinan vary while retaining a similarity of structure and pattern.

Overall a fine series of kata especially for basic instruction, but useful at all levels.

Some Okinwan shorin styles however, do not teach Pinan. It is interest to noyte that those which do not, have special 'charts' of excercises often based on seisan or other kat, to replace the basic taining Pinan otherwise provides.

Kusanku

kusanku
1st January 2001, 20:10
Yes, must do them now, agree;
But what did they do before 1906 when all the Pinan katas did not exist?

Kusanku

waza22
1st January 2001, 23:59
Mr Kass,

I do not believe all of them need to be learned. And I do not believe they are a requirement for progressing. Itosu developed them for school children, not adults. I do see value in them as I stated before but to say they are a must is an overstatement.IMHO.

Regards,
William D. Gray

Ken Allgeier
2nd January 2001, 00:01
At
http://www.fightingarts.com

You can read a vary good article by Joe Swift on the Pinan kata, inwhich the idea that Itosu created the Pinan 1-5 from a lost kata called Channan.The article raises some interesting points.

ken allgeier

[Edited by Ken Allgeier on 01-01-2001 at 06:06 PM]

waza22
4th January 2001, 07:47
Mr. Allgeier,

Thank-you for the link to the article. I found it very interesting indeed. I still hold to the belief that they were developed for teaching children, regardless of wether they were taken from other forms or a reassembly of Channan kata.

I belief this because of the redundancy of the movements in the series, which is the way one teaches children anything, repetetion. They are, again, a useful tool even with adults, although, I do not teach every student all the pinan katas. I evaluate their needs and teach them which pinan kata may benefit them the most. I do this because they are easy to learn and the repetetion helps them with what they are are having difficulty with. Training drills.

Thank-you again for the link I found it interesting reading.

Regards,
William D. Gray

shorin1
4th January 2001, 22:30
This doesn't relate to the practice of the kata themselves but to their history. There are a couple of references around that suggest all three Naihanchi and all five Pinan kata were extant on Okinawa around the time of Matsumura and that they were not developed by Itosu...........

Regards,
Colin

kusanku
4th January 2001, 23:52
I have heard that all three naihanchi predate Itosu in the Matsubayashi Uku Giko Versions, but had not heard tha all five Pinan did.

John

arnie
5th January 2001, 08:39
HI FOLKS!
I have also seen somewhere, that Anko Itosu learned the pinan katas from some obscure master. But I canīt remember where I came across this theory, so I shouldnīt be saying this, right?

Ari Lappinen