PDA

View Full Version : Information on Yoroi

Nicki Gerstner
1st January 2001, 17:39
Hello all,

does anyone know if there is a book dealing with Yoroi in detail? Or does anyone have detailed information? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Meik Skoss
2nd January 2001, 04:45
N. Gerstner wrote: "Does anyone know if there is a book dealing with yoroi in detail? Or does anyone have detailed information? Any help would be appreciated."

Standard references are by Sasama Yoshiko. He published the following works: *Nippon no katchu* (3 vol.), *Kyomi no katchu*, *Zusetsu Nippon no gunso* with Yuzan Kyaku. He has also published two more very good works with Kashiwa Shobo: *Zuroku Nippon no bugu katchu jiten* and *Zusetsu Nippon budo jiten*. All of these works are in Japanese, of course, and they're not cheap, but they are filled with information and a lot of very good illustrations.

If you are interested in obtaining any of these books, get in touch with me via personal message and I'll give you the name/e-mail address of somebody who can obtain them for you.

Hope this helps.

Karl Friday
2nd January 2001, 15:15
In addition to Sasama's books, two other excellent sources are Kondo Yoshikazu's *Yumiya to token* (Yoshikawa kobunkan, 1997) and his more recent *Chuseiteki bugu no seiritsu to bushi* (Yoshikawa kobunkan, 2000). The new book pretty much supercedes the '97 one, but the earlier book is much shorter and easier to read (it's a pocket book sized paperback). Unlike Sasama's books, which are general reference sources covering pretty much all of Japanese history, Kondo's work focuses on the early medieval period.

Another recent (and excellent) source is Fujimoto Masayuki's *Yoroi o matou hitobito* (Yoshikawa kobunkan, 2000).

Nicki Gerstner
2nd January 2001, 17:36
Thanks very much to both gentlemen for the detailed information and the kind offer of Meik; the sad thing is however, that I canīt read japanese at all. I only know some kanji related to koryu. Are there many illustrations and photo plates in these works?
Or does anyone have some information in english?
Meik, how much would one of these books cost (Iīd probably like one despite the fact I canīt even read the title).
Thanks again.
p.s. the reason for my special interest in Yoroi is my lack of knowledge of katchu bujutsu, which does interest me extremely.

Neil Hawkins
2nd January 2001, 23:04
Nick,

I have a copy of "Arms and Armor of the Samurai" by Ian Bottomley, Hardcover (September 1993), Crescent Books; ISBN: 0517103184.

It is not bad, but it is not a scholarly work, I would call it more of a Coffee-Table Book, plenty of color photo's and easy to read text. I can't comment on it's accuracy, but as an introduction it may be what you're looking for.

For under $20 it's not a bad investment. I believe Amazon and barnes & Noble can get it if you can't find in in your local book store.

Regards

Neil

Nicki Gerstner
3rd January 2001, 04:29
Hello Neil,

thanks a lot. Iīll get it.