PDA

View Full Version : Yamanni ryu/Yamane ryu

morpheus
21st August 2007, 19:36
Anyone have any experience with this weapons system? If so what are your thoughts? I have read there is some speculation regarding the lineage. I understand that Patrick McCarthy is a student of this system but come from a different line that do Oshiro Sensei and Nishime Sensei.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

thanks
Jeff

Shikiyanaka
24th August 2007, 12:18
Ji Jeff,

I have read there is some speculation regarding the lineage.
All is clear as can be to the trained eye. :)

Pat McCarthy's Yamane-ryu system is what he was taught by a master called Kinjo Hiroshi. I think PM added some training elements for didactical reasons, though. And it's very practical a style. In terms of application everybody knows Pat is cutting edge. The lineage of this style and connected persons fulfills all necessities in terms of Japanese martial art. There is simply no speculation possible here, even if you would like to.

Oshiro/Nishime Yamanni-ryu system is what they were taught by a master called Kishaba Chogi. I think they added some stuff for whatever reason, though. And it's very theatrical a style. In terms of performing everybody knows Mr. Oshiro is cutting edge. The lineage of this style and connected persons do not fulfill all necessities in terms of Japanese martial art. There is some speculation possible here, even if you would not like to.

All else is a matter of preferences. The "speculations" you notified are possibly nothing else but such expressions of preferences, carried about by third party. Kind of "borrowed swords", if you know what I mean...

My experience in the style is close to nothing, although I would like to learn more. But I'm very very busy. I would go with McCarthy's style, though.

----------------------------
P.S.
Ok, not everybody is Bruce Lee, but here's a not really traditional Bô-kata I yamannized some years ago. Nobody asked me to do it. Nobody allowed me to do it. I just did it in sense of Immanuel Kant's "Ich kann, denn ich soll".
I call it Kuwasuto no Kun (http://www.ryukyu-kobudo.eu/Training/Kata.htm) (scroll down). But I'am afraid it's not on the list of official Bô-Kata for tournaments... :)

bujutsustudent
24th August 2007, 18:38
Hey Jeff, Yamanni Chinnen Ryu is definitely a unique system all its own. I am a personal student of both Nishime Sensei and Oshiro Sensei. I have spoken with Pat McCarthy Sensei over the web and he is also a very nice gentleman. Nishime Sensei and Oshiro Sensei are in my opinion just awesome. They possess a rare combination of internal and external movement uncommon to many martial artists of today. However, they teach Yamanni Ryu for two different purposes. 1) Tournament style: They teach students the theatrics and motions for tournament purposes as both are affiliated with their own organizations AAU, etc. for the purpose of winning tournaments 2) The martial art Yamanni Chinnen Ryu is completely different conceptually as this is separate from tournament style Yamanni Ryu. The Martial art is extremely difficult as you will find yourself doing things with your body you have never imagined. The usage of body mechanics is quite deep and sophisticated and very difficult. Even the form, shape, and movement are entirely different as is the generation of power than that of sports/ tournament style. Therefore combat and battle techniques are entirely different than that of show/theatrics. Let me put it to you plainly: Nishime Sensei and Oshiro Sensei can strike you either empty hand or with their bo, step away and the energy is still traveling through you. Techniques such as this are not even the tip of the ice burg with these two gentleman. Some students practice both however I just learn the martial art because I enjoy classical martial theory because I think it should be preserved due to the fact many people no longer take the time to understand it. As far as Pat McCarthy Sensei is concerned, I have spoken with him on the web and via email and he is again a nice gentleman. I have never personally met him but have seen his videos...he is a wealth of knowledge and appears to have good technique. His expression looks different than Oshiro Sensei's or Nishime Sensei's but that doesn't mean it is right or wrong...his style perhaps takes on a different emphasis which perhaps someone who trains with him or he himself can explain to you. Either way, Yamanni Chinnen Ryu is a difficult martial art but a rewarding one. Your understanding of body mechanics will increase as will your knowledge of movement for many martial arts if you practice hard..best of luck to you....here is Oshiro Sensei demonstrating Yamanni Ryu in Japan:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1025375850289511478&q=oshiro+sensei&total
=7&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
Shaz Dsouza