PDA

View Full Version : Who is the top Daito Ryu researcher

Samurai Jack
31st August 2007, 04:04
When looking for information on Daito ryu history and alike, and its vaildity is there any recommendations on who is the top researcher?

DDATFUS
31st August 2007, 06:16
Well, as far as English-language research goes, Stan Prannin seems to lead the pack. I'm not entirely sure how things would break down in Japan. Kondo Sensei seems to have gotten a taste of several different Daito Ryu groups during his aiki career, so he might be a contender.

If you are looking for an English source, I would email Stan Prannin first and see if he either has the answer, or can direct you to a source who does. If he doesn't have anything, I would try contacting the main line and seeing what they can offer.

Nathan Scott
5th September 2007, 03:14
[Post deleted by user]

Samurai Jack
13th September 2007, 02:01
I understand from reading here that the historical prospectus -per se is a great deficit to unearthing fact. For what I am told this is par for the course for Japanese history, more like historical accuracy is somewhat likened to clay. For example, earthen clay you can manipulate at the time to fit the past with what is required at the time. Some like, history belongs those in the present, told as they see fit, because all those who could debate, counter or set the account straight are dead, hence historical facts belong to the present. It seems this venue for history is acceptable. The Japanese are less inattentive to historically accuracy of events etc. it seems then other cultures. I am reminded of a passage in one of David Lowery's books about Miyamoto Mushashi, Ronin, chop sticks and flies to illustrate by point about Japanese history.

For those who feel the need to jump on this, let me remind you I am speaking within the context of martial arts history and not the war of 1812.

Therefore, will there ever be a complete factual definitive history, and if so does it matter what the historical finding will be. Will the researcher throw the fact upon the potter's wheel as so to be shaped by political hands? I think this is important to know, as it seems with Koryu arts history is vital when in process of subscribing to an art, especially to those who look at historical facts as a key stone to validity.

What instrument is best then to employ to view historical research?

Nathan Scott
24th September 2007, 20:01
[Post deleted by user]